PDA

View Full Version : scoping a 1917

gamma50
10-11-2012, 09:06 PM
I have a military sights 1917 eddystone,I dont want to cut the peep sight off, I've checked out S&K scope mount and figure I could do something similar but no movement, when I take the rear sight off theres a nice hole to start a scope mount, all it needs is a hole level and forward of peep hole?has anyone ever done this? I figure a nice shaped piece of bar steel would fit in after site is removed, my rifle has been sporterized by having stock cut, thats it! someone didnt like full stock, steel butt plate is still in place, any pics from someone who did a scope mount similar to my idea? any help?

Four Fingers of Death
10-15-2012, 06:12 AM
There are mounts available for the M17, it is usually best to mill the 'ears' off the rear of the action. Pretty much a gunsmith job unless yer real handy! I sort of remember someone say it was reallllllllllll hard steel and you had to be careful the drill bit didn't wander off and dig in somewhere else. Take the rifle to a gunsmith and get a quote, he might show you what he has to do (so you can do it later). My friend got an M17 drilled and tapped the other day by a guy who is regarded as a good gunsmith. It is drilled a bit off line, the smithy obviously didn't have a good look at it when he finished, D'Oh! My mate is going to see him tomorrow about it.

Hardcast416taylor
10-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Besides grinding off the rear sight ears you then have the hole that is under it to fill in. The rear reciever area now usually must be ground and contoured, otherwise it`ll be butt ugly. I had a Leupold 1 piece mount fitted after the drill and tap job was done. Finally make sure that there is either a need or no need for shims under the mount to make it level.Robert

gamma50
10-16-2012, 01:38 AM
I ordered the S&K steel no smithing scope mount,I bought the weaver mount instead of S&K mount,I read some good and bad about these no smith mounts and for $72 shipped I figure "WHY NOT?" so should get by friday, I took the slide peep off and the spring steel piece in the middle of ears and see the wierd oval hole, it would be sick if I couldnt put the peep sight back on. 1 hole in the middle of ears and peep hole to hold this heavy scope on, it seems I'll be using loctite and saying a prayer each time I fire the rifle, unless S&K uses that oval hole for part of set-up?anyone else use S&K?

http://www.scopemounts.com/index.html?instaprice.html

dnmccoy
10-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Yopu can find a replacement stock for it, If it was mine and the rest of the rifle was somewhat original, Id replace the stock and keep it as is. I only say it as the supply on the 17's seems to be drying up now that the CMP has pretty much liquidated what they had

John Taylor
10-18-2012, 06:06 PM
I found it a bit easier to cut the ears off in the mill using an indexing head to round the top to match the other end.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l132/johnptaylor/DSCF0461.jpg
mandrel for holding action.http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l132/johnptaylor/DSCF0462.jpg

Four Fingers of Death
10-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Nice job John. I knew a farmer many years ago who had a P14 which he ground the ears off with a file (before the days of Television). He also built the stock from an old piece of walnut. Nice job, it was a lovely rifle and his pride and joy. That was in the seventys, First Enfield I ever saw.

10-27-2012, 10:01 AM
gamma 50
I've used a S&K on an Ishapor and in addition to the "factory" method of use, (two screws forcing pressure against each other on a pivoiting fulcrum - very good by the way) I drilled and added a roll pin to insure no movement. Works great.