PDA

View Full Version : Handle change

Bret4207
06-01-2007, 11:49 AM
For those that care, my handle is changing from "Tpr. Bret" to "Bret4207". I don't know if this will help with the problems we seem to have or not. Time will tell.

montana_charlie
06-01-2007, 12:42 PM
What problems?
CM

357maximum
06-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Well heck, I did not know you could do that.....ever since jousting with another member on a lube thread awhile back...I have liked the handle "MAXIMUS" ........now C'mon you know I am just kidding.[smilie=1:

9.3X62AL
06-01-2007, 01:33 PM
It has become apparent to me that use of my former handle attracts untoward attention from malcontents to the board's content. Beside that, I'm retired for almost 2 years now, and this handle is a more accurate depiction of my current interests and activities.

One of the moderators lamented about how a law officer shouldn't have to be apologetic about being proud of his/her profession. He is correct, and I am proud of the craft that my sister, my father, my grandfather, my grandmother (during WWII) and I engage or engaged in. You see, when you berate my profession--you are also berating members of my family, so I don't take kindly to it. At all.

Rampart scandal, LAPD. The broomstick attack by the NYCPD officer. The recent assault by the off-duty Chicago PD cop on the female bartender. DISGUSTING, and profoundly so. Rightly so. The news media wants the American people to believe that such atrocities are par-for-the-course and business as usual, not unlike how the media characterized the My Lai massacre as the paradigm setting for our Viet Nam involvement. NOT UNLIKE HOW THE MEDIA DEPICTS GUN OWNERS.

They lie. Brazenly. Openly. Unapologetically. And I resent the hell out of being characterized in the context of these egregiously false and negatively-skewed media representations of law officers by people who have never been closer to police work than I'mWitless News or CSI Miami.

Generally, I would say that the board has become meaner-spirited and less enjoyable over the past few months. Not all the outcomes of the Zumbo Incident have been good ones. I believe the recent 3-thread onslaught against Freedom Arms might have been inspired by that result, and while I don't have a dog in that fight--I do think good faith left the room about 5 posts deep into the first thread.

This board is about Cast Boolits, and how those boolits relate to the larger world of shooting sports, outdoor recreation, and practice for self-defense venues. Moderation here is about the most laid-back in practice of any board I belong to, and that has much to do with the overwhelmingly good spirit and good nature of the membership here. I don't want that to change--but I assure you, and I'm speaking only for myself here as a moderator--I'm not going to put up with berating of servicemen and -women, firefighters, EMTs, law officers, or other helping professions on this board. Save that s--t for the L.A. Times. I'm also giving a short porch for gunmaker, toolmaker, or accessory maker rants to stand on. Good faith concerns about poor quality or customer service are always welcome, but keep a healthy perspective while doing so.

Powderpacker
06-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Bret & Al -
How do you guys expect us old guys with 'sometimers', crs syndrome, craft syndrome, etc. to keep track of all the new handles ? I'm startin' to feel dizzy .

45nut
06-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Along with what Al pointed out, remember this is not a political board and as such we have a right to expect content reflecting the board topic.

And remember you cannot change the world with a thread on cast boolits about off topic content anyway.

We have a political forum at www.stopguncontrol.info for such needs, if you need to put a link up to a thread there, ok, but the discussion will remain there.

ok? excellent. :coffeecom:

9.3X62AL
06-01-2007, 03:02 PM
Not trying to confuse folks, just trying to give The Tagger Crew fewer walls to spray on. Paint, or whatever.

Bret4207
06-01-2007, 03:22 PM
Sorry for the corn-fusion. It'll take me a while to get used to it too. If it helps ease tensions around here I'm willing to try it. I'll throw my own 2 cents in with Al's. I have my own theories about why people react as they do. Whatever the reason my profession and the pride I feel in having EARNED the title New York State Trooper seem to act as an annoyance to some here. While I won't promise to become meek and mild or to change my handle even further to "Casper Milquetoast" I do hope this effort will remove some of that tension it seems to cause.

Please don't expect that to mean I, Al or any of the other cops on board are going to roll over and play dead if baited. I just don't think thats going to happen.

Now, can we get back to cast boolits please?