PDA

View Full Version : Heritage Rough Rider...worth fixing?

superior
10-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Years ago, my22lr/mag broke down. The cylinder hand disintegrated. I still have the gun but the hand and spring are gone. Heritage says the hand is $12 and the spring, $5. She said I should be able to install them myself. I don't remember exactly how I removed the old ones and am hesitant to order the parts. Besides, if the replacement parts are made of the same sintered metal as the last, how long will the new ones last? Any advice, guys?:killingpc

0verkill
10-11-2012, 01:08 PM
My first new gun was a Heritage at age 21. If I were to do it again I would have waited another year and saved up for a Ruger Single Six.With me it was replacing firing pins every 5,000 rounds. Then the barrel got loose. It's still special, but I've retired it. A ruger costs a lot more, but it'll be better in the long run. Then again, mine was accurate as all get out, and 17 bucks is still cheaper than a whole gun. You could always sell it off to fund a new gun.
I bought mine in early 2004, when did you get yours? I never noticed wear on the hand, I'm trying to figure outif they got better or worse.

PS Paul
10-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Spend the money and fix 'er. If it is something you've enjoyed, $17.00- no big deal. I have a few revolvers, but the rough rider .22/.22mag in 6" is the only .22 pistol I own right now and I've REALLY enjoyed it with my kids. Cheap? Yes. Going to break again? Probably. Worth getting fixed? Absolutely. Price of your enjoyment? Well, that' hard to put a number on, but the moments I have spent with my kids shooting ours are priceless and those memories will last my lifetime.......

NoZombies
10-11-2012, 01:39 PM
I ended up with one back in about '95. The one I got wasn't accurate, but it was, and occasionally still is a fair bit of fun.

For $17 I would fix it. can't hardly buy a brick of .22 ammo for that...

MtGun44
10-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Cheap enough fix. Cheap gun, but hey, this isn't much money and if you enjoy
it, fix and and have more fun.

Bill

superior
10-11-2012, 02:34 PM
I got it in 1995 and it broke in 1997. I haven't had the desire to fix it since. It never shot well, but it was fun to play with. I just ordered the hand for $12 and she says the spring will be part of the assembly if ordered together. Just $6 to ship and It'll be here in 7-10 days. I just watched a guy on you-tube disassemble and reassemble one. I't looks like a piece'o'cake. Thanks, all !:Fire:

FergusonTO35
10-14-2012, 02:36 AM
Heritage has made some improvements to their parts in the last few years. Everyone I know that has a RR has no problems. Another thing: Ruger will not sell you any action parts, they will tell you to send the gun in. They'll probably fix it for free but you're still without your gun for several weeks.

0verkill
11-01-2012, 07:33 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=1894641#post1894641

Sounds like they've gotten real good.