PDA

View Full Version : 4C handles????

Guesser
10-11-2012, 09:55 AM
When did the production change over from "nut cracker" to "plier style" handles occur at Lyman?

MikeS
10-11-2012, 02:28 PM
I don't recall the exact time, but I think it was in the 1970's or so. Lyman went from making their own handles to buying them from a company called Scoville. Scoville also makes SAECO mould handles, and they look fairly close to the Lyman 2 cavity mould handles, so if you're looking at used handles make sure they're for the mould you want!

Mk42gunner
10-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Mike,

Not saying you are wrong, but I thought I remembered most of the online suppliers advertising the "new style" i.e. plier type handles a few years ago???

Or am I thinking again????

Robert

rintinglen
10-13-2012, 03:37 AM
I'm certain that the change over was much more recent than the 70's, IIRC in the llate 80's or early 90's I bought a 4-cavity 429-360 and handles from Midway and the handles were the nut-cracker type. I believe the changeover was actually in this century, but I wouldn't bet an Obama Dollar on it.

MikeS
10-15-2012, 02:48 AM
Well, it's quite possible. I believe they changed over from using the small mould blocks to using one size block for both singles and doubles at about the same time they changed handle design. But I'm certain that the change in the mould handles was also a change from making the handles to buying them.