PDA

View Full Version : No more loose checks

milkman
10-11-2012, 08:27 AM
I have been fighting checks that are too loose or too tight ever since I bought my first Free-chex. Some boolits I had to glue the check on and some were so tight that I had to expand the top of the check to even get it started.

I ordered a mold from Mountain Molds and the checks were extremely tight on it, and accuracy was all over the place, with fliers common.

Member Goodsteel made me a custom check maker that was machined specifically for my bore size and booit shank. The check maker is beautifully machined, cuts material with less effort, and releases the checks from the forming punch with almost no effort, but the very best thing is that the checks, even though they slip on the boolit shank easily, crimp on tighter than commercial checks. I have difficulty making one come off with a fingernail. And the very very most bestest thing is that the filers have disappeared. I think the old tight checks were not seating squarely every time.

This tool is a pleasure to use an produces great results and Tim produced a custom check maker for me at no greater cost than the mass produced products. As an added bonus I find that it works on several boolits equally well.

Milkman