PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk 30 carbine

Taylor
10-11-2012, 08:11 AM
Picked one up this week,any input on loading for it? I am thinking of the lyman 311008. I don't reload much for revolver,none actually.Concerns are the barrel,forcing cone and cylinder,which one do you really take into consideration when casting a boolit?

RCBS makes a nice mold for it,I think.However all my handles are lyman and a few lee molds.Don't really want to buy or start a different set,"know wut I mean"?

Wally
10-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Picked one up this week,any input on loading for it? I am thinking of the lyman 311008. I don't reload much for revolver,none actually.Concerns are the barrel,forcing cone and cylinder,which one do you really take into consideration when casting a boolit?

RCBS makes a nice mold for it,I think.However all my handles are lyman and a few lee molds.Don't really want to buy or start a different set,"know wut I mean"?

I have used the 311410 and the 311008 bullets in mine with 4.5 of Bullseye and 6.0 of Unique..with std small pistol primers... both good loads. I find the 311008 just a wee bit more accurate, but the difference is is minimal. As the velocities are appreciable slower than regular factory loads, they will shoot high..the rear sight doesn't have enough adjustment to allow it to shoot to point of aim.

Years ago I shot at a can at 250 yards using a rest. It was in a freshly disced field and the sand was very dry, so I could easily see the strikes. I was amazed as to how many times I could hit it--that was with the 311410 bullet.

cbrick
10-11-2012, 10:18 AM
I've had great results with my Ruger 30 Carbine & cast. I have the Lyman 311410 BB HP'd by Lyman many years ago. This HP pin is quite long and I had Erik Ohlen of Hollow point bullet molds make a shorter pin and remove the bevel base so it's now a BP bullet. Probably pretty tough to find this mold now but all is not lost, there is a group buy going on right now for this bullet from Miha. It's a brass Cramer style mold in 2 or 4 cavity, comes with two HP pin lengths and a pin for casting solid point, either PB or GC. Covers all the bases.

This bullet shoots very well with 8.5 or 9.0 gr of SR4759 & standard primer. It's a reduced (from factory offerings) load and is devastating on ground squirels. A side note is that 8.0 gr did not shoot well with large ES, SD & groups. This load also helps a great deal with the loudness and muzzle blast that the Ruger 30 Carbine is famous for.

Rick

Le Loup Solitaire
10-11-2012, 12:14 PM
A great combination. Very accurate with round nose bullets and GI brass or with 32-20 cases. I use the RCBS 115 grain RN and 5 grains of Unique in both. Be sure and wear ear protection.