PDA

View Full Version : a scope on my .475

5shotbfr
10-11-2012, 03:03 AM
i would like to start by saying i think the following is a bad idea .

ok it may not be , but my brother has become quite enamored with my .475 .
he is also a deer hunter . i am not .
after letting him shoot it a few times he now realy wants to harvest a deer or two with it this fall .
he also wants to put a scope on it as he doesnt feel comfortable using iron sights for hunting with his poor close vision .

his choice of scope is what i think may be a bad idea .
he has a bushnell trophy xlt 2-6 power scope he wants to use .
will this thing hold up to the recoil long enough for him to shoot 150 or so rounds to get comfortable enough with the bfr to hunt with ?

dont be shy with your opinions i dont have a dog in this fight .. i prefer iron sights myself .

and what are your recomendations for rings to clamp and keep this thing in place

44man
10-11-2012, 09:47 AM
i would like to start by saying i think the following is a bad idea .

ok it may not be , but my brother has become quite enamored with my .475 .
he is also a deer hunter . i am not .
after letting him shoot it a few times he now realy wants to harvest a deer or two with it this fall .
he also wants to put a scope on it as he doesnt feel comfortable using iron sights for hunting with his poor close vision .

his choice of scope is what i think may be a bad idea .
he has a bushnell trophy xlt 2-6 power scope he wants to use .
will this thing hold up to the recoil long enough for him to shoot 150 or so rounds to get comfortable enough with the bfr to hunt with ?

dont be shy with your opinions i dont have a dog in this fight .. i prefer iron sights myself .

and what are your recomendations for rings to clamp and keep this thing in place
I can not use open sights much anymore either but have found any scope for deer needs full light outside and a rest. Dim light in the AM and PM makes it impossible to see cross hairs or deer. The exit pupil scatters too much before it reaches your eye from a long eye relief.
I use the straight fixed dot, Ultra Dot.
Variable scopes can be heavy and not hold or can break under the .475 recoil. It is sharp with a lot of torque. Even if you get a scope to hold in rings it can be gutted and I care not to list my destruction list but it is long.
Even the Ultra Dot demands that you do NOT mount any ring directly over any glass. But it will take recoil. I have just two rings on my BFR .475, Warne, and have had the Ultra Dot turn in them. I would feel better with three but it means buying another set of rings. Why they don't sell sets of three is crazy.
Nothing is as bad as hand gun recoil on a scope. Even a .44 will eat stuff.

5shotbfr
10-11-2012, 12:58 PM
44 man

you pretty much summed up my fears , after having screws break parts fly off ( ejector rod housing ) and grips mangled i have seriouse doubts on the bushnell holding up for very long .

i have a leopold m8 fixed 2 power i offered him to use but he cant see the fine cross hairs in it

i will just let him buy rings and see how many rounds it takes .. at least the bushy does have a lifetime warrenty .

im going to go check out the warne rings .. and thanks for the thoughts on lube in the other thread it gives me a way to think about lube i never considered

44man
10-11-2012, 03:01 PM
I am using three Ultra Dot rings on my BFR .500 JRH and they are holding just fine. Cheap aluminum rings yet no problems.

subsonic
10-12-2012, 10:39 PM
The Leupold PRW rings are also good. I think I like them more than the Warnes because you can remove them without loosing zero - and they hold.