PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used these NEI boolit moulds?

no34570
06-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Hi
I was trolling on the NEI website the other day before I bought my mold from them(well ordered it)and come across these two bullet designs which caught my eye and I thought they might be alright to try out in my #3 45/70.

Has anyone tried them in their 45/70 or 45cal rifles?
Are they a target boolit?,could you use them for hunting?
I was thinking you could make the nose a softnose for hunting..........?
I just think they would be interesting to try,I also like the .458.405 GC that is wicked:-D
As always any info would be greatly received
Cheers
no34570:drinks:

montana_charlie
06-01-2007, 10:51 AM
I never dealt with Walt Melander (the original owner), but I have this impression that he was primarily a mould maker...not bullet designer.
If a customer wanted a bullet that looked like a double-louvered whirlygig, Walt would cut a mould for it...and a high quality mould at that.

Once that cutter was fabricated, it got a catalog number and was available for anyone else who felt the same thrill as the original customer.

I think some of the designs in the catalog are goofy-looking, and that number 345 is among them. Of course, I'm no bullet designer, either.

The really successful .45 BPCR-era bullets seem to follow a set pattern...all having more similarities than differences. Even the current crop of 'latest generation' bullets follow the basic pattern of the old standbys, but have thinner noses and minimized grease grooves to cut drag and improve BC. Those are being developed and tested for 1000 yard shooting.

The best hunting bullet designs are a hundred years old and unlikely to change, unless somebody wants to stick a gascheck on one.

A person can look at the 'unusual' moulds and think it might be fun to try some of them, but (at $80 per mould) it could be a costly experiment with little satisfaction.
CM

jhalcott
06-01-2007, 04:22 PM
I have the pointy nosed 405 grain mold. I use it in the mauser bolt rifle and the 14" T/c contender 45-70's. It is NOT as accurate as other round nosed bullets, BUT does have an intimidating artillery look to scare the competition! I have "softnosed" the bullets and they DO work on crop raiding deer. At least to 150 yards. I got miine some years ago for a club shoot that included Knocking metal Buffalo silly wets off a stand at 300 yards.

no34570
06-01-2007, 05:58 PM
I never dealt with Walt Melander (the original owner), but I have this impression that he was primarily a mould maker...not bullet designer.
If a customer wanted a bullet that looked like a double-louvered whirlygig, Walt would cut a mould for it...and a high quality mould at that.

Once that cutter was fabricated, it got a catalog number and was available for anyone else who felt the same thrill as the original customer.

I think some of the designs in the catalog are goofy-looking, and that number 345 is among them. Of course, I'm no bullet designer, either.

The really successful .45 BPCR-era bullets seem to follow a set pattern...all having more similarities than differences. Even the current crop of 'latest generation' bullets follow the basic pattern of the old standbys, but have thinner noses and minimized grease grooves to cut drag and improve BC. Those are being developed and tested for 1000 yard shooting.

The best hunting bullet designs are a hundred years old and unlikely to change, unless somebody wants to stick a gascheck on one.

A person can look at the 'unusual' moulds and think it might be fun to try some of them, but (at $80 per mould) it could be a costly experiment with little satisfaction.
CM
CM
Your right of course,about the best hunting bullet being over 100 years old and I think common sense tells me to stick with those designs,will be a lot less hassle and frustration,still you gotta admit they do look wicked:mrgreen:
Cheers
no34570

no34570
06-01-2007, 06:01 PM
I have the pointy nosed 405 grain mold. I use it in the mauser bolt rifle and the 14" T/c contender 45-70's. It is NOT as accurate as other round nosed bullets, BUT does have an intimidating artillery look to scare the competition! I have "softnosed" the bullets and they DO work on crop raiding deer. At least to 150 yards. I got miine some years ago for a club shoot that included Knocking metal Buffalo silly wets off a stand at 300 yards.

jhalcott
The 405gr bullet would have been the one I would have got,but I will stick to the time proven designs for less worries,still![smilie=1:
Thanks
Cheers
no34570

shooter93
06-01-2007, 09:07 PM
One of the problems with the newer designs is we don't have the definative information on how well they work or maybe they don't work well at all. If it wasn't for experimenters we would never progress and find out if there is a better mousetrap or not. It would be interesting to know if those designs worked or what their original purpose was for but it's nearly impossible to find anything about them in print, although Walt had feedback from the owners of the original mold and idea. I've spent more money and time on such experimental adventures than I'd care to admit and I'm as guilty as those guys were for not putting the results in print whether good or bad. I keep threatning to do that one of these days but it seems another project always beckons and another rifle needs built for it.

Bullshop
06-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Numbers 347A and 344 were written up by Al Miller in Handloader. You might check with them.
BIC/BS

Bret4207
06-02-2007, 06:41 AM
The wasp waisted idea goes back into the 50's IIRC with the famed Heters Company. I've seen a few write ups, but they weren't anything superior to more conventional designs. I can't see 345 being anything but a problem. Everything thats wrong with a bevel base times 1000!

Char-Gar
06-02-2007, 07:46 AM
I knew Walt back in the days where he cut moulds in El Paso, Texas. He was nice guy, loved to talk and was forever at war with some branch of goverment.

NEI molds were are are very high quality and have some good designs. They also have some real squirrely designs.

To each his own, but I would not waste perfectly good money on any of the bullet molds pictured. The good old RCBS 405 FNGC and others have a proven track record for accuracy and killing ability on game.

no34570
06-02-2007, 08:56 AM
I knew Walt back in the days where he cut moulds in El Paso, Texas. He was nice guy, loved to talk and was forever at war with some branch of goverment.

NEI molds were are are very high quality and have some good designs. They also have some real squirrely designs.

To each his own, but I would not waste perfectly good money on any of the bullet molds pictured. The good old RCBS 405 FNGC and others have a proven track record for accuracy and killing ability on game.

I agree with you Chargar,I have the RCBS 405 FNGC too and it is a real corker on feral pigs.
I don't think I will be getting any of those moulds that I posted,just liked the idea of them,pretty cool me thinks:-D
Cheers mate
no34570

Idaho Sharpshooter
06-27-2007, 11:16 PM
he made me one in 22 caliber the year after he moved to Scapoose. It would shoot sub-moa at 100/200 in a Savage 223 Single Shot. Sadly, it got sold at the CBA Nationals with the rifle and scope.

Rich
DRSS

bishopgrandpa
06-28-2007, 10:25 AM
When dealing with Walt I got and still have some great molds. The kid we talk to now just does'nt get it. My last two would not hold a GC and had to be sent back and one was a 405 gr weighing 438 dropped and a 500 gr that was also overweight. They will make them right but it is almost assured you will have to go through the hassle.