PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Echo
10-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Criminy. I got this nice RCBS mold on ebay (35-200) and the handle mounting screws are rusted in. I've had them soaking in Ed's Red for a week, check them every couple days - and still stuck. Any suggestions?

Olevern
10-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Criminy. I got this nice RCBS mold on ebay (35-200) and the handle mounting screws are rusted in. I've had them soaking in Ed's Red for a week, check them every couple days - and still stuck. Any suggestions?

Heat? Not the screws, the metal surrounding.

Trey45
10-10-2012, 08:01 PM
PB Blaster, soak the mold in it, as in, submerge the mold in a container of PB Blaster.
http://www.ruralking.com/p-b-blaster-original-1-gallon-128-pb.html?utm_medium=bingshopping&utm_source=cse

If that doesn't work, see if a local machine shop will drill out the screws and retap. A good machinist will be able to salvage the original threads.

bruce drake
10-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Kroil the screws.

MtGun44
10-10-2012, 10:12 PM
ATF-MEK or ATF-Acetone 50-50. THE Very best penetrating oil.

Bill

runfiverun
10-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Kroil the screws.

first thng that come to mind to me too.
some heat wouldn't hurt either.

Valley Forge
10-10-2012, 11:52 PM
+1 on the Kroil

MikeS
10-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Another method would be to clean off the red, and get some Evapo-rust. It's a water based safe rust desolver, soak the mould in the Evapo-rust for a day or two, and the screws should come right out, no heat necessary!

Moonie
10-11-2012, 10:18 AM
ATF-MEK or ATF-Acetone 50-50. THE Very best penetrating oil.

Bill

+1 on this

cbrick
10-11-2012, 11:04 AM
First, your gonna love that bullet. Shoots great in everything I've tried it in.

If your efforts to loosen the screws fail send it to Erik Ohlen of Hollow Point Bullet molds. He is a master at such mold modification and/or fixes. If your not experienced with this it's very possible to damage the mold worse, not a slam on you, it's just that I have no way of knowing what/where your experience is.

Hollow Point Bullet Mold (http://www.hollowpointmold.com)

Rick

Echo
10-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Another method would be to clean off the red, and get some Evapo-rust. It's a water based safe rust desolver, soak the mould in the Evapo-rust for a day or two, and the screws should come right out, no heat necessary!

I have some, will do.

Echo
10-11-2012, 02:39 PM
First, your gonna love that bullet. Shoots great in everything I've tried it in.

Rick

I'll have to get the rifle first! I have a 1917 Enfield that has been bubba'd, and so isn't collectable, that I am going to re-barrel in 35 Whelen, then have re-stocked, and have a beautiful shooter.

Olevern
10-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Well, did you get them rusted screws out?

Echo
10-16-2012, 02:02 PM
No. Evaporust for a couple of days cleaned the blue smartly off the sprue plate and the dies, but the screws are still fast. will try the propane torch next...

captaint
10-19-2012, 10:21 PM
If nothing else works, take a fairly short screwdriver, in the slots, while trying to turn the screws loose - give the top of the screwdriver handle a sharp rap with a smaller hammer. You'll have to have someone or something (vise) hold the mold. Use padded jaws if you use the vise. It works !!! enjoy Mike

popper
10-20-2012, 02:29 PM
I assume a steel mould. Kroil - Ed's Red IS atf & actone & kerosine. Sometimes cola works, but try heating and cooling (real cold) a couple times. You have to break the mechanical bond to get the chemicals to work. Impact screw driver may also work. Ezee-out will probably mess up the threads. Broke head studs off a 37 ford block, also several ezee-outs. Had to drill out and retap. Finally found oversized studs but it was tough. Of course that motor was sitting a few years after being underwater from a flood.