PDA

View Full Version : Colt Gold Cup -22s, ??

smokemjoe
10-10-2012, 06:27 PM
I may of posted this in the wrong place before this, Has anyone shot the Colt gold cups in 22 LR, that are made overseas, I went to buy one unit I found out not made here in the states, Are they any good and made by what company, Thanks- for the help, Joe

pietro
10-12-2012, 01:18 PM
I may of posted this in the wrong place before this, Has anyone shot the Colt gold cups in 22 LR, that are made overseas, I went to buy one unit I found out not made here in the states, Are they any good and made by what company, Thanks- for the help, Joe

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, since real Gold Cup's are made only by Colt, and AFAIK only in .45ACP.

Of course, it's entirely possible to mount a Colt or other US-made .22 conversion unit/slide onto a Colt Gold Cup frame and have an ersatz .22GC.

IIRC, the only similar 1911-style .22, that's American made, is the 7/8-ths size Browning 1911-22 - all the rest are not US-made.

Some shoot good, especially the Browning, and some are awful - there's a multitude of reports over on rimfirecentral for most available in the US.

cgm
10-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Smokemjoe,

Yes, there is a rimfire "Colt Gold Cup"being marketed by Colt. I did shoot one recently belonging to a friend. After we fiddled with the trigger pull to get it down to 3.5 lbs, the gun shot fine. If memory serves correctly, I believe the gun is made by Walther. Here is a link you can go to to see more:

http://www.colt22rimfire.com/index.php?page=colt-1911

PS... my only complaint is that the gun is somewhat lighter than the regular 1911. To some, this is good. I prefer the feel of the original ACE conversion which feels the same as a 45 1911.

PPS... This gun is not a target gun. Accuracy is fine for a casual plinker.

pietro
10-12-2012, 08:55 PM
I stand corrected, sort of - since it's also not made in America

"Based on the legendary original Colt Government 1911, this .22 L.R. Pistol sports German quality & craftsmanship."

d4xycrq
10-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Cool - I bet Colt could sell a bunch of good quality .22 Gold Cups. I bet they don't make the .38 Special Gold Cups again.

Best regards,

Ray

Griz44mag
10-16-2012, 10:54 PM
The guns are made by UMAREX, the air gun maker. UMAREX belongs to Walther now, and the 3 Colt branded .22 pistols they make are the Goverment, the Rail Gun and the Gold Cup. I shot a Rail gun model that belongs to a friend. Heavy trigger, jammed a lot. I was not impressed. I think a good cleaning and proper lubing would help it a bunch. The Gold cup model has adjustable sights on it, the Rail Gun has a rail, the Government has blade sights, other than that, all three are identical on the inside. For my money, a Ruger MK III or Smith 22A is a better choice in 22. Cheaper and more accurate.

From the UMAREX website:

PRESS RELEASES UMAREX USA

May 2010

Introducing the Colt Government 1911 .22 L.R.
Umarex USA, the leader in firearm replication, introduces the Colt Government 1911 chambered in .22 L.R. The Dedicated .22 long rifle (LR) platform is a new, licensed reproduction available in three rimfire variants--Government models 1911, 1911 Rail Gun, and 1911 Gold Cup. See the press release and read all about the new 1911 on Colt22Rimfire.com