PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Pressman

Beekeeper
10-10-2012, 04:34 PM
I know I am slow ( must be I've only owned it for 45 years) but today I was cleaning up my RCBS jr2 press.
Iv'e cleaned it numerous times
Complete take down and clean.
The toggle block has 2 holes for the handle.
Have always used the ones on the square end as that is the way it came.

What is the other hole for?
screwed my handle in just to try and it sure is a short stroke.

beekeeper

shotman
10-10-2012, 04:58 PM
If ken dont get back It was used for priming . Many guys primed only on the single and then reloaded later . kept the priming arm out of way

Pressman
10-13-2012, 09:42 AM
A couple minutes of free time this morning. The first in three days! And my wife is already after me to get on the honey do list.

The RCBS Jr press line is innovative in a couple of ways. While it uses the older Pacific style linkage with its limited 4 to 1 mechanical advantage for many reasons, it is the first Pacific style press to use an O frame design, all Pacific and copy presses at that time are C frame designs. Next is the pivot block. User preference was quickly changing from upstroke to down stroke operation. But there were the old guys who did not like change (sound familier) so RCBS made the pivot block reversible. Taking the block out and turning it around converts the operation to upstroke. This was the first press with a reversible pivot block.

Ken

Beekeeper
10-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks Pressman .I have always wondered what the other hole was for.
Question tho: do you think it would work any better than the down stroke way to swage primer pockets?

beekeeper

Rory McCanuck
10-13-2012, 01:58 PM
My old Pacific Standard C press has the reversible handle too.

do you think it would work any better than the down stroke way to swage primer pockets?
I can lift more than I weigh, so I can generate more force by lifting.
It certainly isn't as natural feeling, though. You can't just lock your arm
and lean into it.
With mine, its only a couple minutes' work to change it over, give it a try?

Pressman
10-14-2012, 06:18 AM
Roy answered that question very well. The ability to lift more using the leg muscles is teh theroy behind Pacific's reasoning to go with the upstroke. It is also what is behind the idea of needing a VERY sturdy reloading bench that is well bolted to the floor.
Ken

Kevin Rohrer
10-14-2012, 04:46 PM
I have two presses that use the upstroke, and enjoy operating them even more than those that use the downstroke. I feel I have a bit more control over the stroke when moving up as opposed to down.

Upstroke presses were designed prior to the computer programmer era-- when men were men, and sheep were scared. :2_high5:

Modern reloader. Probably uses a power-assisted Lee C-press.
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv29/KevinRohrer/computer-nerd.jpg

man.electric
10-14-2012, 05:42 PM
With a couple of cases of PBR and a few jars of turkey gizards that twig could still develop...