PDA

View Full Version : Wy. Antelope

Huntducks
10-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Just got back home 4 weeks in Wy. hunting goats.

This was my first time hunting in this part of the state sage and more sage and no trees, I had 6 NR points which was max so I was not about to shoot the first buck.

I also had doe tags and made up my mind 1 doe would expire to my Ruger SBH in 44 mag, I was using my own cast bullets 215gr straight WW from a lyman 429215 GCHP mold behing Unique powder.

Opening morming came and went after looking at a min. of 50 bucks nothing being much over 14" most would have been great antelopes in other states, but for me 16" was my goal heck I had the whole season if needed Sunday came and I broke out the 44 thinking if the shot was there I would take it ( I felt 75 yards was my effective range could go 100 if all was right) we found about 50-60 goats no shooter bucks bedded and feeding about 400 yds away, and a ravine that could close the gap to less then 100 so I worked my way there 44 in hand and a Ruger 77 ultra lite in 260 over my back all the closer goats 88 yds had 1-2 fawns and i'll pass on shooting a doe with fawns (just me other might not) their was one doe off by herself at 212 yards standing and feeding she was right by a 2 track so it does not get any better 260 behind the shoulder she jump straight up and runs about 100yds and crash one tag filled.

Mon. Tue. Wed. lots of looking lot of 14" and under bucks we seen on a average 80-100 bucks a day Thurs. AM glassing and driving a two track we spot a dandy buck with a doe 1mi away just with 8x40 we could see he was a shooter stay on the two track and we keep getting closer 1/2 out comes the spotting scope crank it up one horn is 2' longer then the other but we figure the longer one was 16" but his horns look funny we drive closer 1/4mi they pay us no attention keep feeding butt at us 15min and this buck finely looks up and turns for a good min. he is watching another buck in the distance now I get a good look he has a fork on the end of one digger and all these extra points 12 to be exact 3/8" to a 1/2" long I tell my partner i'm shooting I get out and start working closer 298yds bi-pod down can't see him between sage a crest of a river bed he is at I wait 10min he is moving away feeding from me 318yds
I'm standing and watching him only got a Tx heart shot pass, finely he turns broadside only thing I can do is free hand (no sticks left them home) i'm shooting a 270 130gr Nosler part W/60.4 H-4831 and sited for 300 yds I hold dead on breath hold squeez over his back I see the dust both he a doe look at the dust then keep feeding I fire again same results they do same another round in this time I hold at bottom of his brisket fire drops like a rock we fallow the two track and it gets us about 50 yards away from him I grab my 44 before walking up glad I did he was laying there on his side I set the 44 down a grabbed the horns from the back this SOB came to life and tried to hook me twice while I was behind him one 44 to the neck ended that ****.

Here are a few picture of my first doe and buck i'll post another story of the one I finely got with the pistol.

Huntducks
10-10-2012, 03:03 PM
I Still had a few doe tags to fill but the next on would be with my 44 SBH after passing on 3 groups of antelope two far could not get close enought with the pistol because of cover or shold I say lack of it, We finely spot about 35 D&F and several sm bucks their being hidden on 3 sides by a small hill so a 200 yard stalk puts me at the edge of the hill all I have to do is walk another 10yds and i'm right up on them (I hope) well I sling my 260 shooting 125gr Nosler parts over my back and have my 44 in hand I get ready and step out from behind for several seconds the goats stair at me i'm trying to find a target finely they start taking off almost one at a time but there is one doe just getting up to her feet she starts to run cross hairs on the should figure I need a little lead fire hit her leg flops up in the air she goes about 10 yards and down shot hit he right where I aimed between her leg joint and shoulder right thru bone and out her chest on the other side lungs into jello entrance hole the size of my finger exit I could put 3 fingers in the 215 gr HP made from straight WW BHN 12-13 really did the trick at 45 yds.

Just a side note in the previous story me shooting over was confirmed as something either the scope or mounts the gun was shooting 18" high at 100 yds I 'll find out next year when I get some range time in.

Here are a few pictures one with entance hole other exit.

JDL
10-10-2012, 04:09 PM
Good hunt! What is your velocity in the SBH?

waksupi
10-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Good shootin'!

Huntducks
10-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Good hunt! What is your velocity in the SBH?

I'm shooting at 1260fps, I worked on some 2400 and BD loads but the accuracy was a lot less at 50yds+ with both powders and 1500fps.

dk17hmr
10-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Nice hunting...what area were you in?

RugerFan
10-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Great hunt!

Flintlock Hokie
10-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Very cool!

UBER7MM
10-14-2012, 12:44 AM
Good hunting,

429421Cowboy
10-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Very nice! That is a really cool buck, i have seen them with one or two extra little points but never like that with all kinds of crazy stuff on them!
I am glad you got one with your Super, i remember we had a PM chat about that awhile back.
Congrats, i'd say that was a heck of a trip!

swheeler
10-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Good shooting and good hunt. That buck looks like he's been around the old uranium mines some.

Huntducks
10-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Good shooting and good hunt. That buck looks like he's been around the old uranium mines some.

Ah you know about them

OnHoPr
10-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Looks like you had a good harvest. Congrats. Are you mentioning that we will have zombie goats in the near future.:shock: They might have to start a new scoring system. :bigsmyl2:

Huntducks
10-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Here is one of my favorites pictures a point and shoot moment taken at 52mph.

You can see why they call them speedgoats.