PDA

View Full Version : Fishing hook I.D.

JeffinNZ
10-10-2012, 04:36 AM
Team.

Anyone know what this is for?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Fishing/Hook.jpg

I was given quite a bit of gear the other evening there's a good 50 of these.

Olevern
10-10-2012, 05:11 AM
Never saw anything like it, but looks like it may be designed as the rear hook on a lure of some kind.

cajun shooter
10-10-2012, 07:08 AM
I'm 65 and have fished all my life, building my own rods, and making my own lures.
I've never gotten into fly tying but could it be for some type of fly lure. later David

Hickory
10-10-2012, 07:14 AM
My guess would be that it is a hook used for making
flies,with the tail streaming along the rear shank.

captaint
10-10-2012, 07:31 AM
Well, I do tie flies, and I've never seen one of those. Streamer hook or trailing something ?? Got me. enjoy Mike

bruce drake
10-10-2012, 08:39 AM
commercial fishing hook? I've never seen one like that either.

oneokie
10-10-2012, 09:18 AM
A swallow proof hook? Would think that the rearward extended wire would prevent the fish from swallowing it. Catch and release only areas?

Wayne Smith
10-10-2012, 09:26 AM
It was used to tie a long tailed nymph or dry fly. Haven't seen one of those in a long time. Herters used to sell them. They also sold a hook with a pin in the middle for tying parachute dry flies.

Pepe Ray
10-10-2012, 09:57 AM
It's used for inserting into bait fish or eels or leaches etc.
You'd need a video to demonstrate the techniques involved.
Pepe Ray
PS
I'm NOT a fisherman but an old observer.

gray wolf
10-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Shame on you old guys,
The hook is for tying extended body May flies.

Philngruvy
10-10-2012, 12:44 PM
My guess would be the reversed extended shank
Would allow a lot of "body" to be built up
Behind the barb point under where the eye would be???

popper
10-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Rope line hook, kinda like the shower curtain hook. Insert into braided line.

1911sw45
10-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Clips on the bill of a hat? Just a guess.

shredder
10-10-2012, 09:15 PM
While I was in the UK I saw hooks like that being used for carp and other "coarse fish" The idea is to throw out some bait (often corn) into the water to attract the fish, then put out your hook with several kernals skewered onto the tail of the hook. Looks like a good mouthful.

KYCaster
10-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Like most fishing gear, it was designed to catch FISHERMEN! :bigsmyl2:

Jerry (Looks like it worked cause somebody bought it)

Wayne Smith
10-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Shame on you old guys,
The hook is for tying extended body May flies.

Thank you, Sam. "May Fly" is what I couldn't remember while at work. Not thinking about fly tying then.

gray wolf
10-11-2012, 09:46 AM
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=51969

Click the link and scroll down a bit, you will see the hook and a little info.

Blacksmith
10-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Gray Wolf found it while I was hunt and pecking.
They are easy to find when you know what they are called.
More on how to use them.

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:34 AM
The hook in your picture is an extended mayfly body hook. It could be a Partridge K10 Yorkshire Fly Body hook. The Partridge K10 hooks are a stiffer wire hook along the same stature as a Mustad dry fly hook. I have a couple hundred of the K10 in sizes 12 to 16. I have tied a lot of extended bodies using everything from dubbing to foam. I have parachuted them, split winged them, elk hair winged them, zing winged them, river foamed them, etc... I like to hackle them and then trim the bottom of the hackle. You can shorten the body by clipping it off with a pair of wire cutters. I also use a drop of head cement or super glue at the end of the tail to prevent the thread from sliding off the body. I will try and post some pictures tonight. They make great looking mayflies.

Rob

What I was hunt and pecking .
Jeff
This site has hundreds of fly patterns illustrated and I can't find any that look like they were tied on a hook like that.
http://www.flydealflies.com/

It looks most like a variant of the Stand Out Hook illustrated here.
http://ezknot.com/SUHooks.html

gray wolf
10-11-2012, 11:58 AM
A note on fly tying,
I am a world class, published fly tier, my streamer flies have been on the cover of fly tier Magazine. 15 of my original patterns are featured in David Klausmeyer's book
Tying fresh water streamers My web site was called
Streamer flies by gray wolf I no longer have the web site up but all my flies are on the puter someplace. I had to stop tying when we started getting food stamps, they said we couldn't have the extra income, ( was not to much anyway )
all fame no fortune. My specialty was Rangeley style streamers, my flies sold for 5.50$$ each for the fishing flies. I could go on about fly tying but this is a shooting forum. Just thought some folks may have fished my flies or been aware of my web site. I still get cards and letters and am very well known in the streamer fly tying circles. Streamer flies by gray wolf still gets hits on the search engines.
So you see I am somewhat famous.
Now you have the rest of the story.

Gray wolf

Blacksmith
10-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Gray Wolf
Those are some beautiful flies you designed it looks like your talents are missed in the fly fishing world. What was the URL of your web site so I can look it up on the Wayback Machine.

You could still design flies, tie one for photographing post it to the internet and donate it to a museum. Your talent should not be wasted. Donations are still tax deductible.

How about a Cast Boolits Streamer?

Hamish
10-11-2012, 04:19 PM
GW, you are missed:

http://dailyflytyer.com/2010/12/gray-wolfs-white-tiger/

http://streamers365.com/2012/08/231-gray-wolfs-queen-of-the-lake/

Beautiful.

JeffinNZ
10-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks heaps guys. Forecast for tomorrow is rain with periods of rain interrupted by the addition of some rain so I will retire to the man cave and have a play with there hooks.

popper
10-11-2012, 05:49 PM
I've used stiff mono or guitar wire for that tail but never caught anything on them. Funny cause we have tons of those blue ones flying around the shore.

gray wolf
10-11-2012, 06:27 PM
GW, you are missed:
Thank you Sir, Many people have tied my flies and thought it a challenge of sorts.
Yes I was quite the fly tier. We have some things going on at the moment but I will try and post some Pics of my flies at a latter date.
There have been some PM's and a few request.