PDA

View Full Version : question and info needed

DD4lifeusmc
10-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Just ordered a new reproduction Pedersoli 1859 infantry with the 30" barrel in .54 cal.
Nowhere on there site does it say anything about nipple or percussion cal size.
Neither does anyone else except Dixie.
They show th nipple to be 5/16 x 24 and they say you need a musket cap.
They say they are no longer allowed to ship the musket caps. Why?

Also since musket caps aren't readily available here, need to know if there is any reason why one could not use the CCI #11 or #11M instead.
Would I have to change the nipple, if so anybody know where to get one in #11 sizing.

Thanks

Will try to post pictures when the rifle gets here.

Don McDowell
10-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Tresso used to make #11 nipple's on the musket thread size, might dig thru Track of the Wolf's web.
Where are you located that you can't get musket caps?

DD4lifeusmc
10-09-2012, 11:41 PM
we can get them, but not stocked locally. Wyoming

DD4lifeusmc
10-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Forgot to say thanks.
Now that I had a brand name to work with.
I found them online at the possiblesshop.
Thanks again
in reviewing my order I placed today. The shop got the wrong rifle ordered. So got to call them first thing in the morning and get it corrected.

Don McDowell
10-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Well if you were in the right part of Wyoming, I know an ol boy that's got the better part of a tin of musket caps he hasn't touched fer 20 years...;)

Ps you're welcome, always glad to help if I can.

varsity07840
10-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Just ordered a new reproduction Pedersoli 1859 infantry with the 30" barrel in .54 cal.

Also since musket caps aren't readily available here, need to know if there is any reason why one could not use the CCI #11 or #11M instead.
Would I have to change the nipple, if so anybody know where to get one in #11 sizing.

Thanks

If you're going to use paper cartridges that don't have a tail that's sheered off by the breechblock, or Charlie Hahn's tubes, then you want to use a hot musket cap that will blast through the paper end. Charlie recommends the Dynamit Nobel
#1081 wingless.

Duane

Lead pot
10-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Give Jon a call. http://www.addictedtoblackpowder.com/2.html

1874Sharps
10-11-2012, 07:06 AM
DD4LifeUSMC,

I shoot a Pedersoli 54 caliber carbine and enjoy this rifle very much as I am sure you will also. In my opinion, you really do need the extra fire of a musket cap (vice a #11 cap) for this rifle. The spark has to make two 90 degree turns to get to the cartridge and needs to be potent for this reason. Also, if there is any residual oil in the spark passage way on the first shot of the day it will tend to misfire. You can help mitigate this by stuffing just a little BP into the nipple on the first shot and it will go bang reliably.

cajun shooter
10-16-2012, 08:18 AM
The standard practice of using any percussion type of firearm is to place and fire a cap before loading. This will clear out any residue that is caught in the passage way.
I found this out in the 70's when my first load of the day failed to fire because of my overzealous cleaning and applying gun oil after my last session. I also learned to carry a possibles bag with a tool to remove the now stuck ball.

Seth Hawkins
11-11-2012, 06:43 PM

Thanks

Did I miss something? I don't see a question regarding black powder paper patching. You might get better results asking these questions in the proper forum.