PDA

View Full Version : New toys in!!!! sorta

dubber123
05-31-2007, 08:05 PM
My brother and I both ordered new Rock River Varmint AR-15's after deciding the next election might prevent us from ever doing so. Neither of us had the cash up front, but our dealer said no problem, they are back ordered for at least 2 months. Well my brothers came in in 12 DAYS!. The dealer called tonight, and said mine was in. It's been about a month. Another 320$ and it's mine. Something else to sit in the locker, but at least I'll have it!

dk17hmr
05-31-2007, 10:39 PM
NEW RRA, once you shoot it and figure you need another one in the future they can be built for under $500 if you do some used parts shopping.

Let use know how it shoots, I have 2 DPMS AR-15's one is a bull barrel the other is a lightweight both are great shooters, also built both myself.

trickyasafox
06-01-2007, 12:48 AM
putting them together from stripped lowers is the way to go :) i built one off a del-ton kit and it has been nothing but a champ, and very reasonable as far as price is concerned. my stripped lower cost me 80 dollars after transfer, and the kits can be had for about 450-475 after shipping. thats all you need for a great, brand new, AR-15

dubber123
06-01-2007, 03:18 AM
This is my first foray into the AR-15 world, I better see if I like this one before I go into mass production! I would be interested in trying to produce the quality for less. These are guaranteed to shoot 3/4 MOA at 100 yds, and most I've spoken to say they will usually do 1/2 MOA or better, we'll see. If I like it, I want to get one of those 50 Beowulf uppers. That looks more interesting than a .223 to me!

SharpsShooter
06-01-2007, 06:38 AM
You might want to check out the 458 SOCOM before you commit to the 50. The 458 is close to 45-70 capabilities and will likely be cast friendy if you want to go that direction.

Just my 2 cents......

SS

Thin Man
06-01-2007, 07:33 AM
dubber123, congrats on getting a quality toy. A lot of the local guys have found Rock River products to have the features and quality control that gave them total satisfaction. Seems like 2-3 years ago Rock River won a bid competition against other manufacturers for a DEA contract for 5K units. I had always liked their products, and this only reinforced that notion.

We hear that a lot of guys are buying stripped receivers to build up their own finished rifles. I remember that a local FFL dealer was undergoing a BATFE inspection about 6 or so years ago. He told the story how the agent was looking over his records and asked to see an AR-style stripped lower this dealer had bought. The dealer produced a completely finished rifle he had assembled on one of those receivers, then bragged on his quality of parts selection and assembly. The agent responded that the work looked very good, and immediately asked to view the dealer's Manufacturer's License. The dealer asked ".....say what??? The agent explained that he had to obtain a Manufacturer's License in order to fabricate a complete and functional firearm from a stripped receiver. Don't know if this was their only discussion point during the inspection, but that dealer closed his doors a short time thereafter. How would this or a similar rule apply to an unlicensed individual owner? I don't have a clue, but would want to make some inquiries before starting a project. Hope the rules would be different, and maybe would not exist for a private (unlicensed) owner. Like most things in life, I have learned that permission comes much easier than forgiveness.

trickyasafox
06-01-2007, 04:51 PM
thin man- i think the big problem there was he was building them for sale, not for personal use.

schutzen
06-01-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that the manufacture of the firearm is the manufacture of the lower receiver (the serial numbered part). The remainder is just the assembly of the parts. Now if the lower receiver is shipped where drilling and or machining have to be performed on it, you are manufacturing. I believe your dealer was the victim of an over- zealous agent. Just my 2 cents, I have no legal basis for my opinion.

dubber123
06-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Well, it's in and paid for, but I'm too broke to afford a set of rings for it. I'm going to recycle the scope off my 300 mag, so all I need is some rings. Maybe next week.

trickyasafox
06-17-2007, 04:09 PM
good luck! pictures wouldn't hurt. . . .:)

dubber123
06-17-2007, 05:51 PM
I apparently don't have the technical saavy to post pics yet. I tried once on another forum with no sucess. Maybe I should try again here.