PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Spartan Press

robertbank
05-31-2007, 06:50 PM
There is one on Ebay for $40US. Want it for priming and sizing rifle case only. Are these presses worth buying?

Take Care

Bob

dubber123
05-31-2007, 07:00 PM
My first press was a WELL used Spartan, and I still have it. Loaded untold thousands on it, and I really like the open face, very easy to use. Last year I got all nostalgic and bought another off E-bay, near new for 16$. I have a long way to go to wear out the first one though. There are probably better presses, but this ones a goodie in my opinion.

Duckiller
05-31-2007, 07:08 PM
Have two and two sons that shoot. Works very well for priming. Not as rigid for sizing rifle cases as Rockchucker. Lyman has some parts for them, unfortunately no spent primer catchers. Duckiller

floodgate
06-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Robert, Duckkiller:

I have seen several of the Spartan primer catchers on eBay, usually brand-new-in-box (ackshully, in a plastic bag). I got one last year to complete a Spartan / Spar-T set. Just punch in "Lyman Spartan" on eBay "search" and one will turn up, sooner or later. These were the first Lyman bench presses to use both standard dies and standard shellholders, after some weird and wonderful designs (like the un-lamented "(QU)EZY-Loader"). The All American "Comet" and AA-Turret that preceded the Spartan were good presses (except for the weird autopriming systems), but used the odd-ball, proprietary "J" shellholders. The Spartan is just a good, basic open-frame "C" press.

floodgate

Uncle Grinch
06-01-2007, 01:13 AM
I use my old Lyman Spartan to reform 30-06 cases into 7.65 Arg with no problems at all. It used to be my main press, but my son bought me a Lyman Orange Crusher several years (5-6??) ago.

I've had quite a few different presses, including the All-American and the Spar-T (??) turrent. I'll keep my Spartan and Crusher.

1hole
06-01-2007, 10:11 PM
The old Lyman Spartan and it's turret version, the Spar-T, were and remain sound presses but they are obselete in one very significant way; they are simple lever presses so they need a lot of lever pressure to operate. And that means the bench had better be VERY STURDY! All current presses (all I know of anyway) use swinging links to the toggle and that multiplies lever force greatly, and the bench need not be so massive.

A minor quirk is that the shell holders are secured with an allen head set screw rather than a snap-spring, it's no biggy but worth mentioning. Acutally, I lathe turned a groove in my old press's ram and installed a shell holding snap-spring in it.

My 1965 Spar-T is used as a general purpose press for decapping, file trim dies, Lee bullet sizer dies and the press mounted Auto-Prime system. But my reloading, especially FL sizing, is done on a modern press.

I think a reasonable price for a decent condition Spartan would be in the $15-25 price range.

robertbank
06-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks guys. Price is around $25. Guy dropped it from $35. when he had no bidders. May just wait him out. Press would work for what I want it for but not much else.

If I don't get this one I will watch for a good buy on a used Rock Chucker.

Take Care

Bob

LAH
06-08-2007, 06:49 AM
If you can get it for 25.00......jump on it........Creeker

Sundogg1911
06-08-2007, 12:17 PM
I have the Spar-T. It's the turret version. It's a good sturdy press, I used to load all of my revolver loads with it, but now that I have 3 Dillons, a rock chucker, and a Lee "C" press for case prep, it never sees any action. I thought about selling it, but them I would have the mounting holes in the bench. [smilie=1: I would probably regret it if I sold it so it's a keeper

50 Caliber
06-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Spartan was my very first press. Great press to do anything your gonna do. Mine is 27+ years old and still loading away.

clonestar
10-10-2009, 11:20 AM
I've owned and used a Lyman Spartan Turret press since 1977. For handgun cartridges, it works just fine (I do *not* prime on press though). For rifle carts, I use a cast iron O-frame press. Like any other precision tool, you have to maintain it in order to get the maximum utility from it. If you can pick up one for, say, $40 then I would say go ahead and do it. It's worth that much, unless of course it's a total wreck. I've attached a picture of mine to this reply. I think we're talking about the same press.

1hole
10-10-2009, 03:51 PM
"If I don't get this one I will watch for a good buy on a used Rock Chucker."

From what I see on ebay, the RC goes for near new prices and that's NOT a good deal! The RC is a good press but not any better than the others of its type from Lyman, Redding, Hornady and Lee. I have had my Spar-T since '65 only had my a RC II since '90 or so.

I only use the old turret press for handgun stuff now. The one thing I didn't like about it originally was not having a compound toggle link lever so I changed that a few years back. NOW it has a (Lee type) coumpound toggle link very much like the current T-Mag! All it took was a few sections of 1 1/2" steel bar, a small welder and a Saturday of home shop tinkering.

robertbank
10-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Yikes this is an old thread. Santa solved the problem Dec, 07 with a new Rockchucker press.

Take Care

Bob