PDA

View Full Version : passed on S&W mod 17

Olevern
10-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Well, finally got a couple of hours off from nursing duty (at my daughter's house taking care of her while my son-in-law works following her stroke) My daughter was having a good morning, bp good, asthma under control, not much mucus to be suctioned through her trake so my wife allowed as how she could handle it for a couple of hours.

Where did I spend my (rare) time off? At a local gun shop, of course. Looked in the showcase and saw a S&W model 17 what looked to be in exc. condition and a tag on it for $489.00. I didn't ask to handle it as I knew that would be fatal and add a third model 17 to my gunsafe.

I did handle a Glenfield model 25 bolt action .22, which is now mine (at $119.00). They also had a Marlin 782 in .22 mag for $169.00 which I might have to go back and get.

On their clearance table was a box of Magtech .44 mag. (box of 50) with 240 JSP for $20.00, which came home with me. Had to show my NJ Firearms I.D. card to purchase, which makes absolutely no sense to me. The propriator told me that all handgun ammo has to be to a FID holder, but the firearms I.D. is only good for longarms. Go figure.

Was also going to pick up some Hornady round balls in .310 or .315 for my T/C Cherokee and squirrels but passed at $12.95 a box of 100. Cheaper on line.

Anyway, only away for a couple of hours but good to get a break. Worried about my daughter and called by wife twice while away to put my mind at ease that Michelle was still having a good day. She has to have her blood sugar and blood pressure checked periodically and tends to spike, which requries appropriate medicinal response depending on the need. She is also an out of control asthmatic, with layers of possible responses needing to be applied in order, or not, if the symptoms are too severe. A lot of responsibility with possible serious consequences if you guess wrong and my wife doesn't do well under that kind of pressure.

Now, about that model 17; do I really need it? Nah! I got two others and a model 18. But....it IS a really good price and looked really nice. Maybe someone else will buy it before I get back ;)

timspawn
10-09-2012, 04:10 PM
I purchased a 17 yesterday from a friend. I have never been much for 22 revolvers but something about this gun was calling my name. Mine is full lug model. I would think $489 is a good price.

ebner glocken
10-09-2012, 04:16 PM
489 is a great price. I would have haggled some more and more than likely bought.

Jack Stanley
10-09-2012, 08:15 PM
A Marlin seven eighty-two for a hundred sixty-nine and it isn't in your gun safe right now ??? :?:

Musta been a pile of rust huh??

Jack

Olevern
10-10-2012, 04:19 PM
A Marlin seven eighty-two for a hundred sixty-nine and it isn't in your gun safe right now ??? :?:

Musta been a pile of rust huh??

Jack

Actually it was very nice, just wondered about carrying TWO longarms into the house past my wife the same day.

Jack Stanley
10-10-2012, 05:28 PM
That's not a problem , you just tell her that I said it was OK to buy the rifle . It'll confuse her just long enough you can run for it !![smilie=2:

Jack

Olevern
10-10-2012, 05:48 PM
That's not a problem , you just tell her that I said it was OK to buy the rifle . It'll confuse her just long enough you can run for it !![smilie=2:

Jack

I'll let you know how that works out for me, trouble is, she can run faster than I can.

I think I have a better plan; the next time I get out of the house I'll just go and lay it away....why didn't I think of that sooner? :grin:

This shop is always a favorite because of it's reasonable prices. I am on a first name basis with all the staff and I don't even live in the same state!

NoZombies
10-10-2012, 06:39 PM
That, my friend, is why I normally cary at least one rifle, and one empty rifle case in the trunk of the car. Easier to sneak in unnoticed, when she's used to them moving back and forth a lot. :)