PDA

View Full Version : Basement Humidity...

BCB
05-31-2007, 05:15 PM
Well, it’s that time of year again. I have a 1400 square-foot basement and I run 2 dehumidifiers there in the summer. I never know what to set the humidity setting at. The basement is nice and cool, but if I run the dehumidifiers all the time—well, the basement gets warm and I don’t have a hiding place when the really hot weather gets here! I wonder if there is a good humidity level to try to achieve, but still keep the heat level down a bit. The dehumidifiers will turn on and shut off at designated settings. Any thoughts on percentage that might be the best setting? Thanks…BCB

LarryM
05-31-2007, 05:40 PM
Go for the lowest humidity level that is comfortable.

felix
05-31-2007, 06:43 PM
That is a typical problem with dehumidifiers. Only good in the winter for the reason you mentioned. Best thing going is heat pump, preferably using a water sump when clean water is fairly available or can be made available. Would be perfect if that water is a relatively constant 60 degrees throughout the year. Talking about a well, here, where the water can be circulated back into the ground supply. ... felix

Steelshooter
05-31-2007, 08:22 PM
BCB
30 percent would be a good place to start, then make your fine adjustments up or down to where you are comfortable. You must have some big humidifiers to heat up your basement, usally then you lower the humidity the room feels cooler. You use a humidifer in the winter time to put moisture in the air to feel more comfortable.
good luck
Chuck

Old Ironsights
05-31-2007, 10:18 PM
At 70deg/70% I can't sleep, but I can sleep at 80deg/60% - which actually feels "cooler" to me than 70/70.

Find that ballance and all will be well.

In my basement I shoot for 70/50.

madcaster
05-31-2007, 10:57 PM
An open window helps my basement on humidity,it is not too big,about 18" X 24".
JS.

monadnock#5
06-02-2007, 06:40 PM
Somewhere I read that in winter one shouldn't let humidity drop below 50%. It would seem reasonable, to me at least, that ~50% would remain the goal year round.

Ken