PDA

View Full Version : Smart Reloader Equipment...

ArrowJ
10-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Has anyone had experience with Smart Reloader preses? These things are dirt cheap. I wonder if they would be good for depriming and priming or even for sizing bullets.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00047VBSR0084

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00047VBSR0083

Firebricker
10-09-2012, 12:36 PM
I do my best to avoid buying anything manufactured in a communist country especially red china. That being said I'm obviously biased but everything I've seen on them says they are very poor quality with major alignment problems. So if an inexpensive press is needed I would recommend a Lee Reloader press they are around $25 made in U.S.A. and it's a good little press. The only reason mine is gone is lack of bench space. FB

Freightman
10-09-2012, 12:53 PM
You can find a good used LEE, RCBS, for just a little more, if you have a problem LEE or RCBS will take care if it, if you have a problem with the "Smart" you have to send it back to Italy on your dime, which is the best deal?

novalty
10-09-2012, 12:59 PM
The only positive product I have seen from Smart Reloader are their ammo boxes, I like their hinge design.

ArrowJ
10-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Well that answers that. I just wanted to make sure it was not a hidden gem. Thanks!

Guesser
10-09-2012, 04:11 PM
I've been using a vibratory cleaner from Smart Reloader for about 3 years. It was cheap, from Graf's when they first carried them. I was so disgusted with Frankford Arsenal that I was willing to try most anything. It is still working so that alone means it was worth three times what the FA was worth to me. I went thru 5 FA in 3 years. As the raven said "Nevermore"!!!!

10-09-2012, 04:35 PM
There've been a few threads about that press, including posts by members who bought them -- unfortunately, it seems.

A used RCBS cast iron press is a much better value, and will have an extremely long service life -- like forever.

Ola
10-09-2012, 05:26 PM
I have used SMARTRELOADER MARK XVI RELOADING PRESS WITH I.D.R. SYSTEM
www.smartreloader.com/smartreloader-mark-xvi-reloading-press-with-idr-system-includ-p-3799.html

When it was brand new, it felt like there was sand in the mechanism. The parts were unfinished and it had all kind of "dirt" in it. Using the press was just plain horrible. After cleaning and lubing it got slightly smoother, but not much.

One of my friends has been using it some time now and it is finally starting to feel like other presses come out of the box.

The press is NOT aligned correctly, actually it is way off. There is also excessive free play. "Fortunately" the top of the piston is attached with threads! My friend keeps the threaded part loose so the shell holder can wobble around. When the casing is pushed in the die, the die centers the shell holder..

He uses the press to load hunting ammunition in several calibers and he is quite happy with it. I would not be.

MT Chambers
10-09-2012, 05:52 PM
From what I hear, the quality is very poor, maybe a small step up from Lee, not the kind of equip. to use if you reload alot or are after real consistency.

jcwit
10-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Why not just support our own Countries manufacturers.

Just a thought!

huntincowboy
10-09-2012, 07:33 PM
I bought the little press some years ago and I wound up breaking the linkages after a few months of light usage. The alignment isn't good and I usually guided it in by holding it with my hand. Also the spent primer hole regularly clogged and caused problems. It takes alot of effort to size brass using it and I wound up buying a lee breech lock. The sbp is still on my bench and I use it to size boolits but its barely use full for that. I would go with what others have said and get the Lee if you are looking for an inexpensive single stage press. I do my depriming sizing and priming all in one step with the Lee breech lock Challenger. I got it with a whole kit of other stuff for ~$70.

ArrowJ
10-09-2012, 08:07 PM
I am hoping to get a Redding T-7 or a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP for most loading, and a Lee Classic Cast for depriming and sizing bullets.

jmort
10-09-2012, 08:35 PM
"From what I hear, the quality is very poor, maybe a small step up from Lee, not the kind of equip. to use if you reload alot (sic) or are after real consistency."
Very impressive post. I'm big on the the Chinese RCBS stuff.

Ben
10-09-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm big on the the Chinese RCBS stuff.

Would you explain that one ?

Ben

DCM
10-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Check these guys for great prices on USA made presses
https://fsreloading.com/

And you will be supporting a bunch of guys that are actually shooters/reloaders!

They are not a part of Lee, but are located close enough that they can easily pick up their inventory from them.

jmort
10-09-2012, 09:36 PM
"Would you explain that one ?"
My tiny reaction to another pointless Lee Precision basher. The Lee Precison Classic Cast and Classic Turret are the highest rated single stage and turret press on Midway USA regardless of price. To answer your question, RCBS uses Chinese made parts on their presses, like cast iron frames and the hand primer is made in China, etc. If you email RCBS they will send a nebulous response that the majority of their products are made in the USA. I'm sure the quality is there and RCBS is a good company but it is sure not all made in the USA. Richard Lee has done more for reloaders than any other man. God Bless Richard Lee.

Le Loup Solitaire
10-09-2012, 09:46 PM
When it comes to reloading, like other tools, it is wiser to put your money into the best that you can afford and avoid the cheaper tools that appear to be bargains or hot deals. Poor quality will abandon you in the long run. If the new brand name tools are out of your budget limitations then go into the used sector starting with E-Bay or our own swappin & sellin section and see what is around for sale. Or post your own ad under "wanted to buy". There is for example at the moment at least one Redding T-7 on E-bay and although it is not cheap by any means, it is unquestionably a press that is a total beast and you will never wear it out. And there are others of different brands old and new vintage that are also solid quality. Some vendors may let you pay it down off of a "lay-a-way arrangement. No harm in asking them if it is possible, but the theme here is that there is lots of good stuff out there so why compromise with poor quality when you don't/shouldn't have to. LLS

Firebricker
10-09-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm big on the the Chinese RCBS stuff.

Would you explain that one ?

Ben

For a short time RCBS was importing castings from communist china for Rock Chucker presses. Due to complaints about not being American Made and quality issues they stopped importing them. FB

10-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Richard Lee has done more for reloaders than any other man.

I use Lee products each time I cast and reload, and just this morning I bought a Lee collet neck sizing die, but your blanket statement is highly debatable. I've used many of his products, but moved on to other brands when his either failed, were lacking in quality control or construction, or failed at the job.

I don't disparage any manufacturer, just relate my experiences with them.

Firebricker
10-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Arrow, I have a T-7 and have been real happy with it. I've never used a L-N-L but like the idea of quick change dies on a single stage press. I have heard lot's of good things about the Lee classic cast but if you want to keep costs down one of the aluminium models will work fine. Good luck let us know what you go with. FB

jmort
10-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Lot of of RCBS products made in China, ChargeMaster, hand primer, tumblers, dial calipers, etc ...........

UBER7MM
10-09-2012, 10:52 PM
[QUOTE=Ola;1874934]I have used SMARTRELOADER MARK XVI RELOADING PRESS WITH I.D.R. SYSTEM
www.smartreloader.com/smartreloader-mark-xvi-reloading-press-with-idr-system-includ-p-3799.html

The press is NOT aligned correctly, actually it is way off. There is also excessive free play. "Fortunately" the top of the piston is attached with threads! My friend keeps the threaded part loose so the shell holder can wobble around. When the casing is pushed in the die, the die centers the shell holder..QUOTE]

Deal killer right there!

kd185
10-12-2012, 07:52 AM
:rolleyes:
omg china makes junk
i would have never have guessed
ok sarcasm over

jcwit
10-12-2012, 11:41 AM
While I am not a fan of smart reloader products at all "see my post # 10 this thread" china makes whatever a nations populous wishes to buy at that price point.

Case in point! Take a look at the country of origin on the back of your computer, cell phone, shoes, tv, radio, I pad, etc. etc. The list is unending.

omg china makes junk
i would have never have guessed

Blanket statements mean little.

mdi
10-12-2012, 12:23 PM
From what I hear, the quality is very poor, maybe a small step up from Lee, not the kind of equip. to use if you reload alot or are after real consistency.
(Some folks can't help but bash Lee) Comparing Lee to Smart Reloader is like comparing a good old Chevy to a used Yugo. Smart Reloader is defineately not for a new reloader; frustration from trying to use junk is way too much for a new reloader. I bought one of their presses a couple years ago just out of curiosity. The only "good" part of this press is the paint job, no runs...

Do a search for horror stories on Smart Reloader presses.

Firebricker
10-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Lot of of RCBS products made in China, ChargeMaster, hand primer, tumblers, dial calipers, etc ...........

Jm, Your right I was just thinking of presses but they do have some of the things you listed imported. Which is another strong point of Lee as far as I know the little magnifier in their BHN testers is the only thing they import. FB

Sakdog
10-13-2012, 12:21 PM
All I have ever owned of theirs is the ammo boxes and the reloader tray. The ammo boxes are satisfactory and the tray is too simple really to let me down so.

Do a google search and you will find about a 4 to 1 ratio bad report to good.

Texantothecore
10-13-2012, 12:42 PM
"Would you explain that one ?"
My tiny reaction to another pointless Lee Precision basher. The Lee Precison Classic Cast and Classic Turret are the highest rated single stage and turret press on Midway USA regardless of price. To answer your question, RCBS uses Chinese made parts on their presses, like cast iron frames and the hand primer is made in China, etc. If you email RCBS they will send a nebulous response that the majority of their products are made in the USA. I'm sure the quality is there and RCBS is a good company but it is sure not all made in the USA. Richard Lee has done more for reloaders than any other man. God Bless Richard Lee.

My reloading equipment, except for a few small tools that are not made by Lee, is solid red. Wall to wall because I like it and the equipment produces great ammunition.

They also produce really cool portable equipment such as the Lee Classic Loader and the Lee Handpress. Cheap, fast and good.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-13-2012, 12:51 PM
a couple years ago, I bought the $16 Smart reloader press (copy of Lee's $25 "reloader" press). It felt gravelly and had poor allignment. JUNK !
The smart reloader press wasn't even worthy of cracking walnuts or pecans

mdi
10-13-2012, 02:11 PM
a couple years ago, I bought the $16 Smart reloader press (copy of Lee's $25 "reloader" press). It felt gravelly and had poor allignment. JUNK !
The smart reloader press wasn't even worthy of cracking walnuts or pecans

My $16.00 waste of money wasn't even capable of sizing/depriming 38 Special brass! I have hung it on a wall of my reloading room to remind me...

Steve E
10-13-2012, 09:39 PM
I bought one of the Smart 800 presses for a back up and mostly to deprime cases it was so out of alignment it was pitiful. I looked good taking it out of the box and the ram was fairly snug when it was at the bottom of the stroke but when it was extended to the top of it's reach it would wobble something awful. Needless to say it went back the next day. I later acquired an RCBS RS3 for a backup.

Steve E.............

r1kk1
10-14-2012, 08:35 AM
A local gun store/range here, H&H, quit carrying them do the many customer complaints and returns. I got to see one and was definetly not impressed with slop, fit and finish. There is no comparison to any reloading company I know of. I'm surprised they are still in business. They must have a huge global distribution system.

http://www.smartreloader-usa.com/aboutus.html

Take care

r1kk1

Ola
10-14-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm surprised they are still in business. Well they have some other stuff that is not too bad. Like the Jumbo Tumbler or manual powder trickler+electronic scale -combo, or the gun cleaning products. Nothing fancy, but inexpensive and usable.

In my experience the presses are the worst example of Smart Reloader products.

r1kk1
10-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Well they have some other stuff that is not too bad. Like the Jumbo Tumbler or manual powder trickler+electronic scale -combo, or the gun cleaning products. Nothing fancy, but inexpensive and usable.

In my experience the presses are the worst example of Smart Reloader products.

But for how long will the electronic stuff last? I wonder who is doing the electronics for Smart Reloader. I've heard good and bad complaints about the electronic Lyman stuff. I have no idea how old my Dillon electronic scale or the RCBS ChargeMaster is. I don't date items but I may start. I do have the huge tumbler from Dillon and a small unit I bought from Midway in the 80s to do moly coating.

I hope your right Ola. I hope we all have good luck with our electronic stuff. So far so good for me. Dillon doesn't even carry my electronic powder scale anymore. They still care the big tumbler and Midway doesn't carry my tumbler anymore. If and when either goes out, I'll have to find a replacement.

take care

r1kk1