PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894CB .32 H&R to .327... finally did it.

Hogokansatsukan
10-09-2012, 11:48 AM
I have always loved the .32 H&R and have several Ruger Single Sixes in this caliber. As most of us know, this round was hot rodded quite a bit by hand loaders until Ruger and federal finally came out with the .327 Federal Magnum. Well, of course I had to get a Ruger GP 100 in .327 Federal Magnum. A few years ago, I had picked up a Marlin in .32 H&R. Well, that Marlin underwent a change a few weeks ago, and is now chambered in .327 Federal Magnum.
Harry Lawson gunsmithing in Tucson, did the work. Thought I would share my impressions, and a little bit of the data.
I used two molds to cast for the 32 H&R, which are the RCBS 32-098-SWC and the RCBS 32-098-WC. The SWC is used with Pat Marlin's checkmaker checks, and is loaded with either Lil'Gun powder, or Universal (for extreme pushing of the envelope).
I load the .327 with Accurate #9. For the Marlin, I'm using fully gas checked bullets that go by the name of Hornady XTP (100 grain) as these will feed in this rifle with the longer cases. The SWC in the long .327 cases will not feed, they will feed just fine in the shorter .32 H&R cases.
My .327 load in the Ruger GP 100 with 4.2 inch barrel mimics the Federal 100 grain factory load, which gives a velocity of 1500 ft./s.
In the carbine, this load produces almost no recoil with a velocity of 2150 ft./s. The Federal factory 100 grain cartridge will not feed reliably in the rifle, however the hand load with the Hornady XTP will feed, and what is more, the magazine still holds 10 rounds. Loaded individually, the SWC and the factory Federal 100 grain have the same velocity.
The accuracy is stellar. The recoil is like shooting a .22.
Just thought I would share my thoughts about converting this rifle to an exceptionally potent round. My hot rodded .32 H&R loads with Universal, push close to 1300 ft./s out of the 5 1/2 inch Ruger Single Sixes, and 1700 ft./s out of the Marlin.
The problem with the hot rodded .32 H&R Magnum is that the primer pockets don't last very long. The .327 Federal Magnum brass is much stronger.

Hogo out.

6pt-sika
10-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Intresting !

I had one of the 1894CB's in 32 MAG bought it when they finally came out !

But I sold it about 4 years ago for a tidy profit .

Ever since Federal brought the 327 Federal out I thought it would be fun in a lever action rifle .

Nobade
10-10-2012, 07:52 AM
Well, since those rifles are fetching upwards of $1000 now I wouldn't modify one if I had it, but it is good to hear you had good results with yours. I sure wish Marlin or somebody capable of making good quality lever guns would build just what you have there!

I couldn't swing a 32 Marlin, so I bought an old model 62 levermatic chambered for 30 Carbine. Same ballistics as you are getting, but not nearly as nice a design. I shoot paper patched cast boolits over WW296 in it.

BTW, any idea what the twist rate is in your barrel? I am wondering how heavy a boolit it will shoot. My M62 works up to 120gr. but not much over that.

Hogokansatsukan
10-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Well, since those rifles are fetching upwards of $1000 now I wouldn't modify one if I had it, but it is good to hear you had good results with yours. I sure wish Marlin or somebody capable of making good quality lever guns would build just what you have there!

I couldn't swing a 32 Marlin, so I bought an old model 62 levermatic chambered for 30 Carbine. Same ballistics as you are getting, but not nearly as nice a design. I shoot paper patched cast boolits over WW296 in it.

BTW, any idea what the twist rate is in your barrel? I am wondering how heavy a boolit it will shoot. My M62 works up to 120gr. but not much over that.

The twist rate is 1:16 with a 20 inch barrel. I believe the twist rate on a .30 Carbine is 1:20, so the .327 should be able to handle a little bit heavier bullet. The problem would lie in the feeding as the COL seems to need to be around 1.40 in order for it to feed reliably (this is without modification to the carrier assembly).

The modification did not affect the feeding or accuracy of 32 H&R rounds, and the barrel was not stamped with the new caliber, so there are no external modifications to the rifle. If one were to pick it up and examine it, one would naturally come to the conclusion that it is simply a 32 H&R, until one dropped a .327 round into the chamber, and it fit!

I think if I were to ever sell this rifle (one will know when this happens as the weather forecast will be predicting snow in hell) I think I would be able to get more in its current configuration than if it were in stock 32 H&R form. Though I really don't care, as this seems to be the only way to be able to get a .327 in lever action form. It seems with all the trouble Remington is having since they started producing the Marlin rifles, I highly doubt they will come out with a .327 in the near future, if ever.

Nobade
10-11-2012, 07:48 AM
That's cool they did a 1:16. That way you could single load 150gr. if you wanted to. That ought to have some pretty good penetration.

I agree with your thoughts on the modded rifle - no reason to ever sell it, may as well have it work the way you want. That is a very neat little setup you have!

Hogokansatsukan
10-11-2012, 09:51 AM
I just may look into a custom mold of 150 grain persuasion, but have it seat deep in the case so that the COL could remain at 1.4. I've had several molds made from Accurate Molds, so... it certainly is a thought I'm toying with. Would be in "no man's land" as far as load data, but I'm sort of used to being there anyway generally pushing the envelope a bit further than I should.
Accurate Arms list a charge of 13.0 grains max (#9) on a 100 grain Hornady XTP, and this is the closest I have found that matches the Federal 100 grain factory load. I settled on 12.5 grains, as 13 was actually exeeding the factory load by 75 to 100 fps (though I use Winchester SP magnum primers rather than standard.) Federal uses small rifle primers in their .327 loadings. I'm thinking Lil'Gun might be a good powder to push a heavy bullet like this. Sure works good in the .357 and .44 magnum. Hodgdon load data only goes to 115 grain. I know Jeff Quinn of Gun Blast fame http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-327s.htm (http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-327s.htm)took it up to a hard cast 135 in the GP100 and Blackhawk, but I don't know what powder he was using or how much, though I would guess it was a stout charge of H110.
Any way I look at it, I will have to have a custom mold made as the RCBS SWC does not want to feed, and I just don't like having to use those darn fully checked things.

FergusonTO35
10-11-2012, 10:01 AM
Sweet! Somebody really needs to bring out a lever action .32 Magnum or .327. Henry and Rossi are you listening? 'Til then I'll just keep shooting 115 grain Ranch Dogs out of the .30 WCF.

Whit Spurzon
10-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the GREAT report Hogo!

I have one of those 32 Mag Marlins that doesn't get much attention due to the fact that I have an old (1905 vintage) 32-20 Marlin that I can't seem to put down long enough to shoot anything else. Your post has got me thinking about it again.

I've been very impressed with the 32 H&R Marlin though its only been to the range twice. It seems to be more efficient (more velocity with less powder) than the 32-20. The two bullets I used were the Lyman 311008 and the RCBS 32-98 SWC.

I get the highest velocities in my 32 Single Six with Lil'Gun but don't use it much as there is also a rather impressive muzzle flash. I never tried it in the Marlin though. I suspect it would perform well.

My Lee "Soup Can" drops a little small for the 32-20 but it might work OK in the 32 H&R... and would probably be a better bullet to see what it'll do at higher velocities....

So many guns, so little time...

TheGrimReaper
10-23-2012, 02:33 PM
That is just too cool!!!

Hogokansatsukan
10-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the GREAT report Hogo!

I have one of those 32 Mag Marlins that doesn't get much attention due to the fact that I have an old (1905 vintage) 32-20 Marlin that I can't seem to put down long enough to shoot anything else. Your post has got me thinking about it again.

I've been very impressed with the 32 H&R Marlin though its only been to the range twice. It seems to be more efficient (more velocity with less powder) than the 32-20. The two bullets I used were the Lyman 311008 and the RCBS 32-98 SWC.

I get the highest velocities in my 32 Single Six with Lil'Gun but don't use it much as there is also a rather impressive muzzle flash. I never tried it in the Marlin though. I suspect it would perform well.

My Lee "Soup Can" drops a little small for the 32-20 but it might work OK in the 32 H&R... and would probably be a better bullet to see what it'll do at higher velocities....

So many guns, so little time...

I love that RCBS 32-98. With Pat Marlins checkmaker checks on the back of that, I don't get any leading. I think you will find the .327 Federal brass a bit stronger than the 32-20 so you can get a bit more loadings out of your brass if you want to go that route.

After breaking 15 bones this last July, I became rather recoil sensitive (my right clavical was a compound fracture). Even my .357 Rossi Trapper is a bit much for me right now, but the .327 I can shoot all day.

ddixie884
03-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Very interesting, thanx for sharing........

Whit Spurzon
03-14-2013, 08:02 PM
I finally did try Lil'Gun in the 32 H&R Marlin. Using the MAX published load data for a 100 gr JSP under the RCBS 32-98 SWC is jetted down range 1770 (average). It was impressively accurate and I was pleased that there was very little evidence of leading. The primers were still rounded with no indication pressure signs (that I could detect).

The Geogia Arms (excellent) ammo shoots a little bit faster but the primers are flattening out.
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k542/WhitSpurzon/009-1_zpsc0936c03.jpg

Thank again for the report.

gunfan
03-17-2013, 09:46 PM
I am impressed! I have always wanted a lever action in .327 Federal Magnum. The cartridge is a good one, and can outperform both the .32-20 and .30 Carbine round. I'd be willing to bet that the "hot-rock", .32 "uber-mag" can harvest deer up to 150 lbs (dressed) without much difficulty. I'd even venture that it would make for an excellent police lever-action rifle. The small bore cartridge wouldn't be viewed with much disdain, yet would take out a man-sized target with consummate ease of the rifleman.

Scott

Flexmoney
03-31-2016, 04:50 PM
Hogo,

Sorry to bring up an older thread... I wanted to ask how your 327 has been now that you have had some time with it?

What did the modification entail? Was it simply re-chambering to accept the 327mag length?

Do you think the 1894CB's "10% shorter throw" is a factor in the OAL limitation that you experienced? (since an 1894 in 357mag works in an 1894 with it's longer OAL)

Really cool mod!

ZmanWakeForest
04-02-2016, 01:11 AM
Since Flexmoney brought this old thread back up....if any of you lever fans want to part with one of those 32 H&R mag marlins....You can PM me!

blackflagrc
05-01-2016, 02:45 AM
I'm interested as well of what it entailed. is it just a chamber modification or was there additional work required to the action for feeding in normal operations? I had a dream of a 327 rifle but it kinda got put to the back burner.

"Percussive maintenance" is hitting something until it works

farmbif
12-15-2016, 10:05 PM
the wait for a 327 fed carbine will soon be over according to Anthony Imperato at Henry; the big boy, big boy steel and big boy steel carbine will be available as standard chamberings in Spring of 2017

kingstrider
12-16-2016, 04:01 AM
I wish I could find a Marlin in .32 H&R magnum, it would be a dandy companion to my Ruger wheel guns.