PDA

View Full Version : 1871 b&c

tbierley
10-09-2012, 11:40 AM
My front sight on the Buffalo Classic rifle was to high they are .584 and my rifle shot low all the time. I got a front sight that is a .404 sight from Midway. I installed a 1901 Krag rear sight on the rifle. This allowed me all the range I need I have shot out to 500yds with this set up.
But now the rifle shoots to the left bad. I have drifted the front sight as far I can to the right. Is there anything that I can do?

Shooter
10-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Yes, drift the front to the left. The front sight is moved oposite of the way you want the group to go.

tbierley
10-09-2012, 01:37 PM
The problem is the front is drifted all the way to the left and it is shooting 4ins to the left.

oldred
10-09-2012, 01:41 PM
I have drifted the front sight as far I can to the right.

The problem is the front is drifted all the way to the left

Which is it? :confused:

tbierley
10-09-2012, 02:41 PM
That my bad the sight is drifted all the to lift( I am going to start over with this the gun shoots 4 ins to the left and I have drifted the sight as far to the left as I can go. I am not over the weekend my oldest little girl got married sunday. I think a to muck to drink. Thank for the help.)

cajun shooter
10-14-2012, 12:15 PM
Go to Brownells and look at the front sights. You may purchase one that has the correct height to help you with that plus the sights are fully adjustable for windage and come with a set of inserts and has a bubble level to prevent canting of the rifle. Another source which will have more brand choices is Buffalo Arms.
The Brownell catalog will show you how to put the correct height sight on your rifle. The stock site is a Lyman 17A and is a good sight but one that has windage adjustment will help out a ton if you get into long range shooting.
The rear also needs to be changed to a vernier type of sight.
The rifle is capable of staying with rifles that cost thousands instead of hundreds if the sights are improved.

tbierley
10-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Went out to the range today and tried to sight the rifle in but it would not, it kept shooting to the left. I drifted the front sight all the way to the left half of the sight was hanging off the barrel. I call H&R last week they told me to call them with the serial number and they would send me a shipping tag and send the rifle back to them. Maybe the next time it will be better. The rifle did shoot good 1/2 group at a 100yards but far to the left. I love the gun with Krag rear sight.

EDG
10-14-2012, 08:12 PM
This is going to smart if the rear sight is off.
If the barrel is crooked you should be able to look through it and see the bow.

tbierley
10-14-2012, 08:31 PM
I shot the rifle with the sight that came with the rifle and it also shot to the left. I have used a laser bore sight to check and I had to move the sight then also.

tbierley
10-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Yes I have done that with the rear sight. But the rifle still shoots to the left it also shot to the left with WGS sight that came on the rifle.