PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Dies that Crimp

AlaskaMike
05-31-2007, 05:11 PM
I've been using a set of Lee dies for .30-06 that have been adequate, but I decided to go with a set of RCBS dies for .375 H&H when I picked up a rifle in that caliber. The RCBS dies seem to be able to apply a good taper crimp which has been very nice for the cast bullets from the Mountain Mould I bought from a member here.

Now after using the RCBS dies, I'm less than impressed with my .30-06 Lee dies (I should point out I'm still very happy with my Lee FC die for .45 ACP). I realize that all the brands have their plusses and minuses, so I'm curious if anyone else has had similar experiences with other brands. How are the Redding dies? Dillon?

Any experiences and/or opinions are greatly appreciated!

Mike

dubber123
05-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Other than the lousy O-ring setup, all my Lee die sets have been satisfactory. The last lemon set of dies I got were RCBS, and after a lengthy backorder no less. I have gotten 2 sets of junk Lymans too. Some people hate Hornady dies, but I love 'em, (so far). I still lean towards RCBS, but it all varies with your luck I guess.

Uncle Grinch
05-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Obver the years I have gradually traded off any Lee dies that I had accumulated. Of my 32 dies all are RCBS, except for a couple of Lymans, a custom Redding, and a Herters.

Don't get me wrong, Lee make an excellent product, especially for the money. It's hard to explain, other than not liking the o-ring lock nut set-up, they are really good dies.

I just feel better with RCBS or Lyman.

nicholst55
05-31-2007, 06:58 PM
Redding dies are generally excellent - at least as good as RCBS. Their finish is actually nicer. When I buy new rifle dies I either buy Redding or RCBS. Handgun dies are generally Lyman or RCBS - Lyman dies are a bit more 'cast bullet friendly.'

chevyiron420
05-31-2007, 07:46 PM
my lee rifle dies will crimp, so i guess i dont understand. i dont like the lee expander\decaper rod on some of them and they put a vent hole in the shoulder area that has gouged into some cases when reforming some brass. other than that i am pleased with most of my lee dies and there low cost has allowed me to reload for guns i would otherwise be unable to do. i do not like the lee sizing lube though. i had a few dies that i tryed it with and eventhough it worked, i found the inside of those dies rusted after sitting up a wile. the ones i used r.c.b.s. lube with didnt rust.--phil[smilie=2:

Char-Gar
05-31-2007, 08:37 PM
Lee dies often have creative and sometimes superior design. Their collet neck sizing dies are the best thing around. Where Lee falls down is in workmanship, but in this world you get what you pay for.

Hunter
06-01-2007, 12:13 AM
I use the Hornady dies and the seater die does a great job crimping.

AlaskaMike
06-01-2007, 11:26 AM
Phil, that's interesting that your Lee die will crimp--is it something different than you get in the normal 2 or 3 die set? My .30-06 dies are the normal set, although they included a neck sizer die as well as a shell holder. I backed out the seater plug and screwed in the die body until it contacted the shell holder, but I'm not sure it even removed the slight bell I put in some of my cases with the Lee universal expander die that I use in my cast bullet loads.

I guess it's not so much the quality of the dies that I'm asking about--as was mentioned, you get what you pay for, and I *do* think that the Lee dies are a great value. I guess I'm thinking about features of certain dies. For example, the RCBS X series sizer dies claim to stop case stretch by their design. I bought one of these for .30-06, but it's too early to tell if it does what it claims. Along those lines, are there attributes or features of certain brands of seater dies that you really like?

I was thinking my next die purchase would be Redding, but I can see this might get really expensive before long, which is why I started this thread. For example, I get irritated with my Lee seater die, so I buy an RCBS seater--but that Redding sure looks good, and I wonder how it compares to the RCBS seater. And so on.

Thanks very much for all the input so far!

Mike

chevyiron420
06-01-2007, 11:54 PM
mike, again i dont get it. i have a bunch of lee rifle dies and alot of rcbs also. i have alot of lee cause i load for mil-surp rifle collection. i have to load for a buch of calibers but not often so the lee dies fit the bill for me cost wise. if i had to pay rcbs price for every rifle i have i wouldnt be able to load for many of them. anyway every lee seating die i oun crimps! i wonder if the seating die that comes with the sets that have a factory crip die are different?? call lee and ask.:-? -phil

Bret4207
06-02-2007, 07:00 AM
My standard Lees all crimp fine. Maybe the one you got is a lemon? I like the Reddings, RCBS, etc. I have a Hornady set for the 35 Whelen with the slidding bullet seater. That set up isn't cast friendly IMO as the lube tends to cause problems that require disassembling the die every 20 rounds or so and cleaning. RCBS could use a stouter decap set up IMO. ALL the manufactuers could do us a favor and use standard sized lock rings, preferably steel with a no-corrode finish and no little screws to booger up. O rings are fine if they're small enough to work right. Lee's are just too fat and cheap.

I'd like a design that incorporates the Vickers idea for a seater (easy cleaning), the Lee FCD and collet die idea in a crimp and sizer and something along the lines of a modified Lyman M die that would work more like an expanding mandrel for exactly the right expansion of the neck. That would be a cast boolit guys dream.

utk
06-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Lee´s "dead length bullet seater" which comes with their collet die sets doesn´t have a crimper built-in. Their regular seater dies have it, IIRC.

jonk
06-05-2007, 08:41 AM
Mine crimps.

On another note, I HATE the allan wrench lock rings of every other manufacturer, but LOVE Lee's O rings. Just shows how personal taste is so important.

Newtire
06-15-2007, 08:43 AM
I,like alot of guys here probably seem to accumulate things over time and I have a Hornady, a Lee and an RCBS .30-06 set of dies.

I found out that the Lee .30-06 didn't size the cases small enough to fit in a tight chambered rifle I have ( a Wickliffe) but other than that, worked well for everything else.

The Hornady floating seater fills up with lube and then pulls out the boolit or the lock ring lets go for the floating seater and pulls out the seater.

The RCBS works the best but wish their decappers were a little more like Hornady. That's all I have to say about that.

chuebner
06-15-2007, 11:07 AM
I have several Lyman die sets with the Allen key set screw setup and it is a pain in the butt remembering where I last put the Allen wrench. On the other hand the majority of my dies are Lee with the big O-ring system which seems to get stiff if not used in awhile. I solved that problem by coating the O-ring with a tiny bit of Imperial Sizing Die Wax. Locking ring stiffness solved.

Charlie

3sixbits
06-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Save the headache and stop looking for the Allen wrench. Take a small magnet and glue it to your press. It makes a handy place to keep the small stuff. :-D

Junior1942
06-16-2007, 07:24 AM
Save the headache and stop looking for the Allen wrench. Take a small magnet and glue it to your press. It makes a handy place to keep the small stuff. :-DThe man is a genius.

Blammer
06-16-2007, 12:25 PM
RCBS is the only way to go if you ask me.

Once you get a taste of a quality die, there's no going back.

Redding is good too I hear.... :D

Phil
06-16-2007, 03:31 PM
I've loaded for exactly sixty calibers, and am currently loading for about forty. Sold some of the ones I was "sure" I'd never use again and had to replace them later on. Hah! They don't get any cheaper do they?

Most of my dies are RCBS. RCBS has excellent customer service. I have a few Redding die sets. I like them and they also have excellent customer service. A smattering of Lyman and Hornady, and two sets of C&H round out the 7/8x14 jobs. I also have some Wilson BR dies. The Lyman dies are generally ok, I have one sizer that has to go back due to being undersize on the body but other than that no big problems. My big complaint is with the Hornady pressed in decapping pins, other than that no big complaints. If I could pick one brand over all others it would be RCBS. Second would probably be Redding. Pick and choose among the rest depending on what brand you can find it when you need it. I will say I had a problem with Redding sending me the wrong die once, but the problem was quickly solved to my complete satisfaction. They are good people. I did have one set of Lee dies and was unimpressed with them.

Everyone has different opinions and experiences and these have been mine.

Cheers,

Phil

Adam10mm
06-23-2007, 08:12 PM
I load for 10mm, 45 Auto, 50AE, 223, 45/70. All are Lee dies but the 50AE dies are RCBS. Can't tell the difference except the Lee's were all less than $30 for a 4 die set. I used to work for a steel mill in Green Bay that made raw steel for Lee Precision; kinda got a place in my heart for them. I made steel for half their operation.

I really hate the O-ring fingernuts so I got all RCBS type nuts. Also like the powder through expander die. Buying a Lee set for 50AE just for this feature. Will sell the others with the RCBS expander and keep the RCBS size and seat.

Three things Lee really made right: powder through expander die, FCDs, and collet sizer. Ok, four, the Classic Turret press too.