PDA

View Full Version : 'Coon hunting with a call

Jim
10-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Recently, I had a conversation with a fellow 'coon hunter about calling 'coons during daylight with a mouth call. I did some research on this and found quite a bit of information. From what I gather, it's relatively simple and easy.

I saw articles and posts on forums stating that 'coon squallers, squirrel squallers and even crow calls can be used. It's a matter of knowing what a squalling 'coon sounds like and knowing how to replicate that sound.

One thing that was repeated throughout the many articles I saw was that 'coons approach the caller aggressively and often appear angry. Many of the hunters that wrote about this strongly advised using a shotgun as the 'coons are usually moving fast when they come in.

Because I don't own a 'coon dog (Dolly doesn't qualify), I am dependant on my buddies bringing their dogs. If they can't go, I can't either. This daylight calling might be a way I can go a bit more often.

If any of y'all have any experience and/or knowledge in this, I'd really like to hear from you. This definitely has my interest peaked.

x101airborne
10-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Mornin, Jim.

Primos makes a 'coon bawler. It works OK. Now if you get a Foxpro Krakatoa, there are about 20 different coon calling sequences on there. My dad just got one and we will be trying out the yote and the hog calls this coming weekend. But DANG iffn that aint the hardest thing to learn how to use.

runfiverun
10-09-2012, 11:16 AM
they are mad.
cause you woke them up..

dragonrider
10-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Tapping on my trash can is like ringing a dinner bell around here. :lol: Have never heard of calling coon. I think the angry part is possibly a territorial thing, they don't recognize the call and so they are coming to kick some butt. Several times in my back yard at like 2 AM there have been territory battles between rival families over the possession of my trash can, they are so loud it's unbelievable.

P.S. Jim in your avatar Dolly sure looks comfy :lol:

429421Cowboy
10-09-2012, 01:38 PM
I have never tried to call them during the day, but have had luck using a Flextone squaller at night, especially if you setup close to a den tree. I have always used a shotgun, but a .22 would work just as well, especially considering your record on 'coons! I have to imagine that setting up by a den during the day would also be your best bet. I have heard people say that a woodpecker/flicker in distress call works well for them, i have never tried it on 'coons but i know that it is deadly on badgers!
Good luck!

Roosters
10-09-2012, 06:22 PM
I HAVE heard of raccoons coming to a turkey call, and bears too! You might want to look into a remotely operated electronic call and work on the coyotes, foxes, and bobcats in addition to the ringtails.

"Electronic Calls
It is unlawful to take or attempt to take wild animals and wild birds with recorded or electronically amplified calls, except for bobcat, coyote, crow, and fox. Electronic calls may be used on private lands with written permission of the landowner and on public lands (except where specifically prohibited) during periods when the use of firearms is permitted." :holysheep

That was taken from here http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/furbearerhunting.asp#raccoon Electronic Call is just above coon hunting on the page

Think you would be ok with a mouth call or whatever as long as it wasn’t electronic . Might want to check.

Jim
10-09-2012, 08:18 PM
When I get my new license, I always pick up a copy of the new game laws. I do something a little different from most of the guys around here. I READ IT.

Love Life
10-09-2012, 09:41 PM
I hope you do well with the call. Practice, practice, practice. Also as others have mentioned you never know what will come to the call...

Jim
10-09-2012, 09:54 PM
I hope you do well with the call. Practice, practice, practice. Also as others have mentioned you never know what will come to the call...

You still got all your gear? You might better suit up and get over here. I might need some back up! :bigsmyl2:

Love Life
10-09-2012, 10:01 PM
On the way. Based off of my recent trip I'll be there in 41 hours. You only got to hold on for a bit longer! :bigsmyl2:

Catsmith
10-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Have drawn a few coons out of dens when calling squirrels. suckin air thru lips and over tounge. they never came running but would stick their heads out to see what was going on.

waksupi
10-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Jim, the best way I ever found, is to sit under a tree, and make a sound like a banana. Racoons can not resist a banana. Especially a noisy one.

Roosters
10-10-2012, 06:44 AM
When I get my new license, I always pick up a copy of the new game laws. I do something a little different from most of the guys around here. I READ IT.

Me to . This time of the year pick one up at Wal-Mart and take it to the library (AKA bathroom) for leisurely reading . Recently did that why I remembered the electronic calls.
I’ll be watching the news for story such as, Floyd man treed by mob of 150 angry coons. (take plenty of ammo)
[smilie=l:

altheating
10-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Try calling just after dark near old barns. Calling them back to the barns works best for us. Old farm buildings with corn fields real close works very well. We once called in six in one calling session.

x101airborne
10-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Mornin Jim.

"Just shoot in amongst us, one of us needs some relief!"

Iffn you come back lookin like you tried to give a bobcat a rectal exam in a phone booth, we will know what happened.

And for the record, the shoot in amongst us line has been used on a couple of my hog hunts, too. When them sows get mad, they get MAD!

Jim
10-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Jim, the best way I ever found, is to sit under a tree, and make a sound like a banana. Racoons can not resist a banana. Especially a noisy one.

For the first time in YEARS, I am truly at a loss for words. I'm sittin' here starin' at the monitor thinkin' "What do you say to that?"

Ric, the men in the white coats are your friends!

Love Life
10-10-2012, 10:38 AM

I about laughed myself out of my chair.

oneokie
10-10-2012, 11:33 AM
For the first time in YEARS, I am truly at a loss for words. I'm sittin' here starin' at the monitor thinkin' "What do you say to that?"

Ric, the men in the white coats are your friends!

"Good one" ???

"Zing" ???

"Incoming" ???

"Duck" ???

Jim
10-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Most folks get cranky and irritable when they contract cabin fever. Ric just goes bonzoid mashuuga. If it ain't that, he's been smokin' Alox.

KyBill
10-11-2012, 12:23 PM
Coon squallers yes are used here in Ky . if you know a coon is in a tree and you cant find him stand back with a dim light give a couple 3 to 4 seconds squalls and you will see eyes glaring back at you ( with dogs involved a coon will hide in a tree with eyes closed and wont move) this is where the SQUALLER comes in handy ! ! !. My dad was great at it . I hunted with him and was never allowed to use his squaller . Dad won KY state hunt back in 68