PDA

View Full Version : Moose with a 30-06 and a CB?

Silvercreek Farmer
10-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Not planning on it anytime soon, but any ideas what type of boolit/powder/velocity combinations it would take to do the job reliably? Both GC and PP options would be appreciated.

Bullshop
10-09-2012, 10:41 AM
I have not shot moose with a 30/06 and cast but have shot them with other calibers and cast.
I have shot caribou with the 30/06 and cast though.
At the time I had a Ruger rifle that greatly prefered very fat for caliber boolits. What I found to work good was a Lyman design that is a bore riding spitzer of which I cant remember the mold number. They make the same design in both .311" and .314" both at about 200gn. I used the .314" as that is what my rifle prefered.
Since I didnt want to hunt with a cast spitzer nose I bumped the noses flat. I did this by setting the depth stop in my lube sizer so that with the handle full down it would compress the boolit length slightly with the boolit inverted in the die.
My load was in the 2000 fps area. When I got my shot at a caribou the range was maybe 75 yards and broad side. I placed the boolit just behind the shoulder so to not ruin meat.
At the shot the caribou humped up a bit and seemed to sort of tiptoe on it the direction it had been moveing. I reloaded the rifle and readied for a second shot when the caribou reversed direction and came back in exactly the same direction it had come from.
When it came by I had it in my scope and could clearly see blood pouring from the exit hole in what looked like the full flow of a garden hose.
I held off shooting and in a few more yards the caribou fell and was done. The exit hole was about half dollar size and the shot was as effective as anything could have been.
I had watched the day before this a caribou shot with a hot handload from a 375 H&H and the results were just about the same. The 375 did not knock the caribou down and it moved about an equal distance after being hit as the one I shot with the 30/06 cast load.
The 375 was using a jacketed bullet BTW.

Silvercreek Farmer
10-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Found this quote from Paco Kelly, but not other details...

"The NEI 220 grain slug is also a fine elk and moose bullet if made correctly and pushed to 2500 fps."

sixshot
10-09-2012, 12:42 PM
The #311291 & the #31141 have taken a lot of big game over the years, many times in 30/30 winchesters & that includes moose, although an ought six would be better.
In an old back issue of Precision Shooting magazine there was a very interesting article by a very good author. He told about visiting an old indian friend, both the author & the indian lived in Alaska. He would go out once a year to visit & get his yearly moose supply. But, things had to be in the correct order, that is, the indian had to get his moose first.
The indian had an old worn 30/30, his high power, modern load was.....he took a fired case, not resized, knocked the primer out with a nail, somehow seated a new primer & then filled it to the top with 4831 powder of all things & seated a cast #311291 bullet on top. Then they would climb up on the roof of the old indians cabin & wait.
After a while a moose would come by, the indian would double lung the moose & climb down, dig down in the the bullet hole & find the bullet, pop it in his mouth & clean it up. This same bullet had been re used to take 3 moose, true story! I'm sure other readers will remember this old article.

Dick

helice
10-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Most shooters today have been "weaned" on the writings of authors who have never cast a boolit and are "wedded" to anything magnum. I confess that I was influenced by them and it affected my purchases. When my brother wanted us to go on a moose hunt (years ago) I rushed out and bought a Remington M-600 in 350 Remington Magnum.
These authors want us to buy all the latest and greatest, and forget about all the successes of our grandfathers. Years ago the 30-40 Krag was considered a hot rifle and it was, when compared to a 30-30. The Canadians probably shot more moose than anyone and many of them came down with the 303 British ctg. The Swedes hunt Elg (Skandinavian Moose) with their military ctg the 6.5X55 with its long, heavy, relativey slow moving bullet. I remember reading articles from Jack McPhee of Alaska using cast boolits for caribou, sheep, moose and bear. He used a 30-40 Krag and the 210 gr. 311284 Lyman with Hi-Vel 2 powder pushing maybe 1900 foot seconds. He was supremely confident in his cast loads.
Everything I read from Paco Kelley seems to point to his 'need for speed'. Tain't necessary. You can get it done with that 44 levergun of yours.

yotatrd4x4
10-10-2012, 05:28 PM
I would say you should be just fine with the right cast boolit. Moose are not known to be tough animals just put a good shot on them. In Anchorage you have to have a 45-70 or 375h&h to kill a deer much less Caribou or Moose. I am in disagreement with this as I know plenty of guys local to the rural parts ok Alaska that hunt moose from think woods with a 30-30. As long as your cast load can get to a 30-30 velocity which should be easily meet and you keep it to say 150yds max you will poke a hole all the way thru and have one dead moose. I personally carried a 338 for moose and caribou but that's mainly because I wanted it incase ole big brown wanted my meat he was gonna have to eat my rifle and bullets before he ate me or my meat. Anyhow with cast in an 06 use a 200gr boolit and see if you can run it up to 2200fps or so and I'm positive you will have a deadly moose load. If you can use string and a sharp stick to kill one a 06 with cast in the 2000fps will do just fine.

runfiverun
10-10-2012, 10:48 PM
long heavy boolits will penetrate.
it's stopping them that's the problem.
anything over 1600 fps will plow through an incredible amount of meat.