PDA

View Full Version : Harrells Measures for Black Powder

mehavey
10-09-2012, 07:33 AM
I've noted several well-respected BP sites sell the Harrells precision powder measures for Black Powder work. I own two of them already, and it struck me that the "BP" measures and the "normal" measures are exactly the same unit.

HARRELLS BP MEASURE (http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=159992&CAT=4006)

If there is a difference, it's that the BP measure also comes w/ an aluminum powder resevoir/bottle as well as the standard poly bottle. It would also make sense as the Harrell's Measures are made w/ an aluminum body/brass rotating drum

And then I note that Brownells sells Harrells measures (the same ones again) with the big warning label. "DO NOT THROW BLACK POWDER WITH THIS OR ANY OTHER HARRELL MEASURE!"

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=38248/Product/Harrell-Schuentzen-powder-measure

What gives ? (if anyone knows)

Moondawg
10-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Good question. I would like to know the answer myself. I have been using a 40 year old RCBS measure for BP and have not blown myself up so far. I have also noted that all my BP comes in plastic containers.

wyoduster
10-09-2012, 08:20 AM
I'm one of those fools that use an RCBS electronic one for my Black powder..

mehavey
10-09-2012, 09:33 AM
I just called Harrells and asked the question. The only difference is that the "BP" version of the Culver Classic comes with an aluminum powder resevoir (with a brass set-screw retainer) as well as the poly bottle. That's it.

As has been the case through the years when I've bought two other measures from him, Harrells just stuck the aluminum resevoir in the mail to me this morning, ...and when it gets here w/ the invoice I'll mail a check back to him.

Old time trust still survives.
Good people -- and absolutely superb craftmanship

mehavey
10-11-2012, 11:28 PM
48 hours later and I have my aluminum powder reservoir from Harrell's.
My check for it goes back in the morning mail.

First class people in responsiveness & trust.
Can't ever ask for more.....
:2_high5: