PDA

View Full Version : going back to shooting jacketed

hithard
10-09-2012, 12:13 AM
Hey guy's, I need to go back to shooting some j words for a short time. I have shot alot of cast in this gun. So what do you all say about this. I've cleaned and cleaned, with some sweets and a brass brush. At this point if I run the brush through with the sweet's It only takes takes two patches to make the third one come out clean. I must have done this about eight times.

mpmarty
10-09-2012, 12:28 AM
So with a nicely conditioned bore you want to corrupt it with J-words? Why??

Piedmont
10-09-2012, 12:37 AM
Just shoot them. I wouldn't have wasted a bunch of time cleaning (probably would have cleaned, but there would have just been a bunch of carbon from bullet lube and powder in there). You don't have to be real anal when you go from jacketed back to cast either. Clean it yes, then just start shooting. You don't have to get out every little bit of jacket fouling, though that has been repeated so much that most never question it.

runfiverun
10-09-2012, 11:36 AM
if i am gonna switch back and forth i use the cast first then just leave the lube/powder fouling in the bbl.
and shoot the jaxketed over it.

i am having a hard time seeing a scenario where you would feel the need for copper patched boolits though.
i think you just need a bigger gun to shoot further.

williamwaco
10-10-2012, 07:05 PM
if i am gonna switch back and forth i use the cast first then just leave the lube/powder fouling in the bbl.
and shoot the jaxketed over it.

i am having a hard time seeing a scenario where you would feel the need for copper patched boolits though.
i think you just need a bigger gun to shoot further.

ME too.

hithard
10-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the input guy's!

I'm headed to Colorado and just need more range, although I could use a new gun....it's just not in the cards right now.

For that matter in another month it might not be in the cards for many years to come if at all!!

Wolfer
10-10-2012, 09:00 PM
I've always heard the old song about cleaning between the two. I don't and I have no problems.
This last weekend we were shooting our guns and getting ready for colo. we lined the 30-06 loaded with 168 gr Barnes tsx to shoot two inches high at two hundred yards. Groups were running about 1-1/2". We switched to cast and 100 yds. 3 or 4 311041s ahead of 21 grs of 2400 landed in about an inch. We then slipped a tsx and shot at the 200 yd target. It landed right in the previous group.
It is very common for me to mix boolits and bullets. Just my experience.

btroj
10-10-2012, 09:16 PM
I find that shooting cast in a copper fouled bore is a great way to remove the copper fouling.

I just shoot many jacketed any more but if I do I don't lose sleep over it either.

Piedmont
10-11-2012, 12:30 AM
I find that shooting cast in a copper fouled bore is a great way to remove the copper fouling.

Me too. A clean shooting cast load will take it right out.

Wolfer
10-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Me too. A clean shooting cast load will take it right out.

And vice versa, a couple condoms down the bore will clean any lead out.

Lizard333
10-11-2012, 11:06 PM
I switch between cast and jacketed in my revolvers and never had issues with either. I don't think copper fouling is as big an issue as most make it. Fit is the most important.

Wayne Smith
10-12-2012, 12:36 PM
Believe me, it can be and usually is an issue with milsurps. Any gun shot by a caster is gonna be in way better shape and unlikely to have those issues.

Bagdadjoe
10-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the input guy's!

I'm headed to Colorado and just need more range, although I could use a new gun....it's just not in the cards right now.

For that matter in another month it might not be in the cards for many years to come if at all!!

More range? I sold my Pedersoli Gibbs long range muzzleloader to a fellow due to my hip/back problems...he's shooting at Camp Atterly this weekend I believe at 1000, 1100, and 1200 yds...iron sighted with about a 30/1 lead tin mix. Them jacketed bullets is just a fad people are going through now.

FergusonTO35
10-13-2012, 04:15 PM
What kind of gun and what caliber are you going back to full length gas checks in?

GOPHER SLAYER
10-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Shooting the 'J' word in a cast boolit gun? That's like marrying a Hatfield or McCoy, whichever.

MikeS
10-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Not questioning your choice to shoot some jacketed bullets, just curious, what can they do that lead boolits can't? For myself I just don't see any reason to shoot jacketed bullets anymore, I've even switched to lead boolits in my carry weapons, so I'm a 100% lead shooter.

hithard
10-15-2012, 03:38 AM
338 federal, I'm just wanting to get a bit more anchoring power and range. I'm going to be hunting on an invite on private land in Co.. If the worst were to happen I just don't care for the land owner to be shaking his head at my choice of projectile. I will have the cast with me, as the POI is for the two very closem, just in case the ranch owner is old school.

reloader28
10-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Old school??
I'm only about 40yrs old and 97.3% of what I shoot is cast.
I did load some full length gas checked bullets for the wifes 243 last night for deer hunting.
I almost forgot how to load them. It just didnt seem right. This was the first ones in 2 or 3 yrs.

What ticked me off was I ran out of bullets. I could only load about 24. Now I have to buy another box.
Actually, I'm making the wife go in and buy them. There is no way I'm taking a chance on someone see me buying bullets from a box.

waksupi
10-15-2012, 11:07 AM
A properly designed cast boolit is more dependable than a jacketed bullet.

Char-Gar
10-15-2012, 11:26 AM
A properly designed cast boolit is more dependable than a jacketed bullet.

100% dead, true and straight!!!!!

Jacketed bullet performance varies with velocity/range. A cast bullet does it's thing over a much larger spread of velocities and therefore ranges.

hithard
10-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Yes, I do understand the dynamics of the cast. However I don't care to walk onto another mans land and tell him I'm gonna do it this way, not to mention I would like a little more range. If the opportunity presents itself there is no doubt I will be breaking out the silver boolits.

Char-Gar
10-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Is there some sort of prohibition against cast bullets where you hunt? Why would that present a problem with the land owner? This I don't get...help me to understand.

00buck
10-15-2012, 01:51 PM
Good Luck on your hunt..!!

Take some pics for us :)

Wolfer
10-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Hit hard
I'll throw in my two cents here. If a man lives in the western country and his tag costs less than a five lb jug of powder, if he can take weekend trips to scout ahead of time and he can afford to pass on less than perfect shots, then he may like to hunt with a shorter range gun.
I drive a thousand miles, a bull tag will take close to two weeks wages, I don't get to scout ahead of time. I can't get off work that long.
Where I hunt 400 yd shots are common. I've practiced a lot and am very comfortable with these shots with my 338 WM and Barnes 210 gr TSX.
I don't carry a rangefinder so I use my scope reticle to tell if it's within 400 or not.
I have elk hunted many years and have found them hard to come by.
I would love to hunt with a boolit but I ain't driving that far and spending that much money to handicap myself in any way.

I know there are cast guns that will kill an elk at unreal distance, but can you ride up to a valley as the elk are busting out the other side at an unknown distance other than way far away, jump off your horse, fall into a suitable field position and shoot in the time slot they give you. If you can I tip my hat to you, I can't so I want a gun that I can hold on hair.

I know it doesn't sound like it but I'm a big fan of cast.

geargnasher
10-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Use what you feel the most confident using, and KNOW your trajectory and ranges no matter the projectile. Millions of dead buffalo attest to the long-range effectiveness of cast lead boolits.

If you really want to dazzle somebody, knock an elk over with that .338 using a paper-jacketed, soft-alloy boolit at full-velocity.

Gear

hithard
10-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Wolfer,

Thanks for the thought, I too feel the same way. Just got back from Wyoming on an antelope hunt. Very target rich, so waiting for the cast boolit shot was not a problem.

This hunt in question is to Colorado, for mulies. I've never met the man who's letting me hunt his land. I'm hoping to get an invite back, so I'm gonna try and stay with the norm. Last thing I want is an animal with a hole in it running around and someone questioning using cast. I don't need a debate on someone else's land and about the animals on it. I'm going to ease into the cast boolit idea with the man.

I would like to do the paper patch and turn the heat up. But I've never rolled my own like that before. Being a few weeks out, this is not gonna happen.

I know alot of buffalo were killed at long ranges with cast. But let's not forget about the target rich environment. Let's also not forget how many ran off, they all weren't one shot kills! and when they did run off, there were no tree's to hide behind, and that would have to be one hell of a tree!

canyon-ghost
10-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Good Luck to you then.

Wolfer
10-15-2012, 10:43 PM
I've tried paper-patching several times in the past with no success. I know it works, I just haven't had the right mold/ sizer/paper etc. I will get it figured out someday when I get more free time. At that Time I suspect my jacketed days will be over.