PDA

View Full Version : Paper cutter guide for gc strips

Mike Hughes
10-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Adjustable guide for the HF paper cutter. Much
easier to get consistent strip widths for the checkmaker. I used a wire welder to attach pieces together, you could just use screws if you dont have a welder.48483

ReloaderFred
10-09-2012, 02:36 AM
I was thinking of something similar, except the fence itself will be of wood, and the adjustable slides will be of metal, either steel or aluminum. I need to keep it simple, and your design is just about right.

Fred

fcvan
10-09-2012, 02:45 AM
Good job Mike. Mine will be similar and with adjustment screws as well as locking screws once the proper measurement is obtained. Keep up the good work. Frank

Mike Hughes
10-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Thanks Frank, I have to admit that I implemented your idea from another thread.

Slinger, the design is between my ears but hasn't made it to the work bench. It will be comprised of aluminum angle stock screwed through the side of the paper cutter with cap screws for adjustment. I just need to get the parts from the hardware store. When finished, there will be pictures and a semi detailed procedure. Frank

I wasn't thinking of separate adjustment screws. Thats another good idea. I only spent about 15 minutes putting this one together (was a little worried that the strips might bind up or try to curl by the guide) so I didn't want to waste a lot of time. My last DIY brass tumbler had about 2 hours of time invested, looked nice, but it was a complete failure.

Gunslinger1911
10-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Mine is about the same idea as Mikes - just wood instead of metal.

I made a spacer that fits between the cutter base and the fence to re-set the width if I need to cut other stuff.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_12052506ce7bda9875.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=6906)

Mike Hughes
10-09-2012, 06:53 PM
My original idea was about as lame and primitive as the square wheel. If not for ideas from gunslinger, Frank and sagebrush, I would still be :killingpc

Sagebrush7
10-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Mike that will work! I am working with my 3rd HF cutter. You will find the c-clamp is faster cutting mutiple sizes . When the strips pile up you will have to have MOMMA come to the rescue to get strips out. I have all thumbs! James

fcvan
10-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Mike, I was not aware of our collaboration. Judging by the pictures, we do great work!

Seriously though, I like the way you attached to the underside with slotted holes for the screws. When I get around to finishing mine I'll be sure to post more pics. Those darn paper cutters beat the heck out of cutting strips with shears. Frank

Gunslinger1911
10-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Wow Frank, you must have a steady hand. I couldn't cut a straight enough line with shears, I used a straight edge and utility knife. Worked OK, just tedious !!

Sonnypie
10-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Fiddling with my paper cutter is why I stood on my soapbox for suppliers of coiled materials.
No more fiddling around for me.
Cast Boolits now has two very worthy providers of coiled materials. And I have a lot less cuts on my fingers....

But I used a fender washer on my paper cutter for width. That way the cut strips dropped away into a catch tray while I merrily munched up sheet. ;)

The Pat Marlin two-step:
http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/Gas%20Checks/Gas%20check%20making%20project/P1120212.jpg

Freechex one shot production tools:
http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/Gas%20Checks/6_5mm%20New%20Process%20Die/P3150330.jpg

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/Gas%20Checks/Gas%20check%20making%20project/P1290248.jpg

Now the fiddle and the banjo are making music again. :lol:

fcvan
10-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Tedious is right, sorta. I would use a straight edge, measure, and then mark with a pizza cutter. cutting the mark with shears was easy.

Sonnypie, you're just showing off! However, if you really want to impress us, show us how you got the soda cans neatly spooled :)

Sonnypie
10-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Tedious is right, sorta. I would use a straight edge, measure, and then mark with a pizza cutter. cutting the mark with shears was easy.

Sonnypie, you're just showing off! However, if you really want to impress us, show us how you got the soda cans neatly spooled :)

Yeah, you're right. I was just showing off my vast Internet skills. :roll: [smilie=l:

I got LatheRunner and Yonky to spool them up. It was the "Huck Finn" in me, get somebody else to paint that fence. :lol:
But you have to admit, coiled material sure is an improvement over cutting strips. And the edges seem to be a lot less lethal to the fingers.

Just another way to get the task done. ;)

yonky
10-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Yeah, you're right. I was just showing off my vast Internet skills. :roll: [smilie=l:

I got LatheRunner and Yonky to spool them up. It was the "Huck Finn" in me, get somebody else to paint that fence. :lol:
But you have to admit, coiled material sure is an improvement over cutting strips. And the edges seem to be a lot less lethal to the fingers.

Just another way to get the task done. ;)

Lol, yes I painted hucks fence for him! You are far less likely to cut your fingers on a slit edge,compared to sheared edge on a paper cutter,of course the clue is in the name " paper" cutter........it's for paper not metal......[smilie=l:

tchepone
10-11-2012, 06:30 PM
I have to agree wholeheartedly with Sonny & Yonky. It took about an hour of cutting cans, litho plate material and Ace Hardware aluminum to realize there had to be a better way.
Yonky and LatheRunner are the answer! You can't go wrong dealing with either. Just about any thickness, width and type of material is available, from one or the other. Quality products and delivery times of usually less than a week, even from jolly olde England.
I have nothing against those who want to do it all themselves, it just isn't for me. Economics has nothing to do with it.
Even my "width & thickness" finicky PM plain base tool seems to like the pre-cut coils. My fingers thank them both. I'll save my blood donations for the Red Cross.

Gunslinger1911
10-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Yep, the strips are GREAT !!!
It's a fun project to get the paper cutter working well, and it's fun to see peoples faces when they see the red and white "Coke ink", and how well they work !

For the bulk of my use, the strips are the bomb !! I just got a big shipment from Ian for me and a few members here (3 days shipment time for 18 100 foot rolls !!! thanks Ian !), I'm set for a while !!

Mike Hughes
10-11-2012, 07:17 PM
yeah, I agree that the coils are the way to go. I am waiting for several rolls on a group buy from Yonky. This guide was to just get me by for now. The coke can material does not really have a sharp edge (about as sharp as a butter knife). The only blood I've shed, was from the spent strips that came out of the freechex ( the little openings along the edge will pinch onto your finger and they don't want to turn loose)
I'm going to hang the coil on the front edge of my bench, next to the press (like other members have done) It's gonna really speed up the process.

Mike Hughes
10-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Looks like our material just came in, no more paper cutter

fcvan
10-12-2012, 02:44 AM
I may buy some rolled goods at some point but I'll no doubt keep using aluminum cans. I use the green Mountain Dew cans for zombie boolits and Coors Light 'Silver Bullet' cans for werewolf loads. The yellow cans are for coward loads, the blue cans . . . go well with my Levis

boltons75
10-12-2012, 05:22 AM
I may buy some rolled goods at some point but I'll no doubt keep using aluminum cans. I use the green Mountain Dew cans for zombie boolits and Coors Light 'Silver Bullet' cans for werewolf loads. The yellow cans are for coward loads, the blue cans . . . go well with my Levis

Going to need some zombie loads this Saturday, national zombie day, there will be lots of zombies out....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Mike Hughes
10-12-2012, 08:05 AM

Lol. Frank you failed to mention the NFL checks for Sunday afternoon reloading. Some of us are easily entertained

fcvan
10-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Mike, you're likely to start a new thread 'unusual check designs' or 'designer checks' or maybe we can just enter them in the monthly pic contest. Personally, I try to avoid making checks with bar codes, don't want to give the gun grabbers any ideas on boolit tracing. Frank