PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Organize a "Reloading For Beginners" Night

Alan in Vermont
10-08-2012, 08:58 PM
I had to go by the range today and had some time so I stopped by to check/empty the trash cans and scavenge any abandoned brass. There were a few shooters there, I chatted with them as I went down the firing line to see what trash cans needed dumping. Got down to the 25 yd line and started picking up what other folks leave on the ground.

Right soon I was approached by two youngsters who commented "If your collecting brass you must be a reloader." At which point the questions began. What does it cost to get started, how hard is it to learn, is it dangerous, etc? We talked for close to an hour, nice young fellows, probably about the same age as my offspring, 30-35, maybe a little younger.

They lamented the lack of someone they could go to for mentoring. None of the shops around here carry squat for reloading supplies. They all have the same excuse, a lack of reloaders. One of them is second generation, the original owner had a bench set up that you could use if you bought your components from him. That man got a LOT of folks into reloading! I gave the kids my phone number and told them they are welcome to come on down and I'll show them how it's done.

I have tossed around the idea of using our clubhouse to hold some sort of introduction to reloading sessions. Supposedly it was tried in the past but had poor attendance the ONE time they did it. I've got time to put into it and I think it needs to be done regularly so word gets around and attendance would grow. The kids today are not the first ones that have asked about reloading and are finding a black hole as far as actual FTF information availability.

Monthly meeting is this week, I'm going to bring it up again. I want to make it a winter project, seems like it might fly better when it's cold and snowy outside. I'm not sure whether to try it as an evening thing or Sat. afternoon.

Plan is to contact the equipment and component makers and ask for any promotional literature, loading data, etc. that they might have. Does anyone know if there is some sort of association of reloading suppliers I could go to for educational materials?

I can put together some sort of portable bench so I can demonstrate the "What & How" and answer questions as they come along.

It doesn't seem like it can hurt to try and it sure would feel like I was doing something of benefit to increase use of our facilities and maybe get folks more involved in shooting. Like I told the kids today, "It may not save you any money but you will probably find yourself shooting more."

BeeMan
10-08-2012, 09:11 PM
NRA has reloading instructor courses for cartridge and shotshells. As I recall, once you have another instructor rating you can order the course and take your reloading instructor class at home. NRA basic rifle, pistol, and shotgun instruction material is well done so I'd expect reloading to be solid as well.

Idaho Mule
10-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Alan, I love your idea and am in full support. I am a hunter ed instructor here in Idaho and often wonder how to keep this, shooting, hunting thing going as well, as you and I know, it is a great way of life--- but how to pass it all on? My thoughts as fare as evenings or Sat. class is that since you would be having class at your range, do it in the daylight on Sat. That way students could load and fire small batches as we do by second nature, to work out wrinkles. I applaude your spirit and thank you. JW

pergoman
10-08-2012, 10:55 PM
I have invited a few new reloaders into my lair and offered free instruction on the fine craft I so enjoy. I even buy used reloading equipment at prices that are just too good to pass up and sell it to new reloaders if they are interested. I visit quite a few gun shops every week while on the road for my work and find some hellishly good deals.
One on one instruction and being available to answer questions helps them out as they get started. One of the clubs I belong to offers classes. I know of 2 gun shops that offer classes for a small fee. We are fortunate in this area.
Get them interested and involved and they will do the rest. Keep the sport alive and thriving.

.22-10-45
10-09-2012, 02:18 AM
Hello, Alan. Good luck with your project. I am amazed at this late day and age the number of people I meet at range who, when they find out your a handloader..give you that look like your from another world! Spoke with a couple of nice guys sighting in their deer rifles Sunday..they saw my MTM ctg. boxes..and asked.."You mean you can fill them again and again?
Reading articles in the 1940 thru 1960's American Rifleman..it seems there was alot more handloading going on..at least people didn't think it so strange back then.

Wayne Smith
10-09-2012, 10:00 AM
The NRA program is a good one, if you can find someone to teach you to teach it. Used to be that the NRA had a self taught program for reloading, I don't know if it is still available. You need a major focus on safety and risk assessment to do it right. Reloading is a lot more than the mechanics of the process, and to teach it right you need to start assuming that they know nothing, which will be close to the truth.

starmac
10-10-2012, 02:24 AM
I don't even know who puts it on, but there is beginner classes here open to the public, advertised on a couple of the firearms radio shows, several times a year.

John Guedry
10-10-2012, 10:55 AM
I'd have given anything for something like this when I got started. I'm basicly self taught by reading everything I could get my hands on. Most gun folks I knew looked on reloading as a cross between voodoo and black magic. "Boy you're crazy,you gonna' blow yourself up". But I kept at it and thankfully I've never had a ftf or kaboom. Maybe I'm lucky been at it for ~16 years.

David2011
10-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Finding that first intructor can be tough. I think the nearest certified instructor to me is 500-600 miles away. It's a worthwhile endeavor, though. Good luck!

David

Echo
10-10-2012, 12:15 PM
I've had the same idea. I'm a certified instructor, even in Reloading, but circumstances have prevented my actually doing it.
When I was in OKC, and a member of the OKC club, a founding member had meetings where we could learn reloading and casting. Nothing like that here, and I don't have the room to do it, except on a 1-on-1 basis. More than that and we would have to go outside to turn around.
It's a worthwhile effort, especially for us old farts that have a lot of info to pass on...

Alan in Vermont
10-10-2012, 01:08 PM
I'd have given anything for something like this when I got started. I'm basicly self taught by reading everything I could get my hands on. Most gun folks I knew looked on reloading as a cross between voodoo and black magic. "Boy you're crazy,you gonna' blow yourself up". But I kept at it and thankfully I've never had a ftf or kaboom. Maybe I'm lucky been at it for ~16 years.

That sounds pretty much the way it was when I started. Knew I was going to do it right after I got my first good bolt rifle, a Winchester Model 70 in .243. Saved every case I fired and had a pretty good stash when I sprung for a Lee Loader and have never regretted it. I did have one "primer powered" round a couple years into it, none since though.

When approached about it at the range I feel like some sort guru. It's not unusual to have a group build up when I start my pep talk.

I picked up a bunch of coaching from a LGS owner who was a benchrest shooter as well as a commercial reloader specializing in obsolete calibers. Maybe I'm looking to leave a legacy for the youngsters. Maybe, when asked how they got started some of them will start with, "There was this old guy at the range,,,,,,,,,,".

hiram1
10-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Just good men with good hearts.I am proud to be a little part of this.

km101
10-10-2012, 11:26 PM
RCBS used to have a video for beginner reloaders that covered the basics very well. I loaned my copy to someone several years ago, and never got it back, or I'd send it to you. You might contact RCBS to see if it's still available. It would fit in well with a "show & tell" session as an introduction.

Alan in Vermont
12-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Well, it's official, I finally got the project "blessed" by The Powers That Be last night. Even got things moving along a bit when I got posting rights on our club Facebook account. I just put a short blurb announcing it, date yet to be determined. Check out Sportsman's Club of Franklin County if you're so inclined. Search should get you to the club site and thence to Farcebook if it doesn't turn up a direct link on the search.

I'm shooting(no pun intended) to hold it in early March, just before we go to DST again. That is right at the end of Cabin Fever season but past the brutal cold that keeps some folks fireside in February.

For any of you lifelong southerners, Cabin Fever is the malady that makes us northerners get ugly toward the season of dark and cold.

41 mag fan
12-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Awesome thing you're doing Alan. I hope it works out and gets the crowds you're hoping for.
theres a guy in Indianapolis that does this for the forum members on indianagunowners.com.
he gets quite a few people in every month or so. he's got it set up where he takes like 8 people, they each get their own press to operate, and at the end of the reloading they make up rounds of what they're shooting and get to take them home.

I hope it all works out for you.

Alan in Vermont
12-13-2012, 07:24 PM
The date is set, March 6, 2013, a Wednesday evening. The Facebook post is getting some hits and I have had one inquiry at this point. Fairly positive results for only 6 hours into it. Now I have to contact the equipment and component makers to see what propaganda they can provide along the lines of catalogs and data sheets.

jixxerbill
12-13-2012, 07:52 PM
As far as attendance goes, if you just teach one person how to reload i'd say you have done a dang good job !!

Blacksmith
12-13-2012, 08:19 PM
One of the best intro demonstrations you can do is show how to reload with a Lee Loader as the bottom line. The least expensive starting equipment and it makes each separate step explainable and aids in understanding. Then go on to more advanced presses for higher production. See if there are other reloaders in your club that will help you with the class.

popper
12-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Hope you get more takers so your time spent will be worth it to you. I agree with the Lee loader idea, teach the why and how instead of just handle pulling. Probably a good look at any load table with explanation, safety aspects. Most I see at the range are spray and pray shooters who won't be interested. I read more and more posts by new reloaders or those interested. I don't know how to put it other than they are often the product of the 'education' institute - I wouldn't shoot their reloads.

Gliden07
12-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Thats GREAT!!! I know what these guys are going thru! I had to do it the hard way, join here scrounge around for supplies go on YouTube (Kinda scary) read, read and read oh did I mention read!! It would have been GREAT to have someone show me the way to do it. Not that I regret doing it how I did, its just (for me) easier for me to grasp a concept when it shown to me. I'm sure with a "mentor" with years of experiance I would have picked up some tips and tricks that I probably still don't know!! I'm still learning and when I stop doing that in this hobby it will be the end of my reloading. Anyway this is a GREAT idea!! I am relitively new to reloading but feel I have a firm grasp on the basics. I don't know where in VT you live? I live about an hour from Bennington if your not to far off and need an assistant "Look at the curtian where Carol Merrial is standing" I could possibly give you a hand if you needed it?

Alan in Vermont
12-14-2012, 12:35 PM
I can't seem to figure out how "multi-quote" works so I'm building this post from copied snippets. I'm sure you guys will recognize your original comments.

RCBS used to have a video for beginner reloaders

I'm hoping RCBS will donate one of those, if not we do have a member who has one that he has offered to loan me.

One of the best intro demonstrations you can do is show how to reload with a Lee Loader as the bottom line.

I lost my old LL somewhere in the past 40 years and several moves. I just got one, in 30-30, from a member here and will be using that to demonstrate that it is possible to get started for under $100.

Probably a good look at any load table with explanation, safety aspects.

That is going to be a big part of my presentation. I'm going to copy the pages on 30-30 loads and make up handout sheets so I can relate that information to just what they are seeing. There wil be quite a bit of emphasis on NOT trusting(and why to NOT trust) Internet/youtube information unless they can verify it in published data.

I don't know where in VT you live? I live about an hour from Bennington if your not to far off and need an assistant

I'm up near (30 miles +/-) of the Canadian border, astride US Rte 7. An hour south of Bennington,, does that put you right neat Pittsfield? A mite far to drive (3+ hrs) but it would be nice if you were closer. We actually have very few reloaders in the club, one is an NRA reloading instructor who has offered to assist. We have a problem with that working as he will be in FL during March. Hoping to get that sorted out today.

Most I see at the range are spray and pray shooters who won't be interested.

That pretty much describes it. All they are there for is to make noise.

I can't get over the lack of sophistication in the majority of shooters now. Maybe it has always been there and I just never dealt with it before. Don't know how to use bags, have no idea about trajectory nor how to effectively "flatten" it by sighting in high at mid-range.

I helped on young man sight-in a brand new Marlin 30-30 a while ago. Nice kid, willing to listen and learn and not afraid to ask the "why" questions. I got his gun on my bags and got him a 100 yd. zero about 2" high at 100. He asked why not right on at that range so I drew out a sketch to show the line of bore, line of sight and the rainbow of the bullet's path. He was grateful for the help, interested in reloading (saved his brass) and wanted to come to the session when I told him what I was trying to put together. I hope he comes as I'm 99% sure he's the target audience I'm looking for.

Gliden07
12-14-2012, 05:48 PM
I'm up near (30 miles +/-) of the Canadian border, astride US Rte 7. An hour south of Bennington,, does that put you right neat Pittsfield? A mite far to drive (3+ hrs) but it would be nice if you were closer. We actually have very few reloaders in the club, one is an NRA reloading instructor who has offered to assist. We have a problem with that working as he will be in FL during March. Hoping to get that sorted out today.

Alan, I actually live in Pittsfield. If you were doing this class on a weekend I would be game to help new reloaders and pick up all the little tricks I don't know, middle of the week would make it impossible though with work and school for me. I looked into moving to VT love it up there!! Unfourtunatly thats on hold for right now because of the economy!! Been to Burlington a couple times on my Harley for long weekends very nice area! Had a lot of fun at Magic Hat Brewery and Ben & Jerrys too!!

popper
12-15-2012, 12:01 PM
You have enough 'dud' components to do the demo? Need anything? Wonder what you could use for powder - dyed COW?

Alan in Vermont
03-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Well, tomorrow evening is the big event. I put posters out at the local gun shops and have been posting updates on the Farcebook page the club has. Got some emails and a bunch of Farcebook "likes" so it looks like it might draw a decent group. If this one flies well I'd like to do it again next year and as well as shotshell loading and casting sessions in alternating years.

runfiverun
03-05-2013, 09:03 PM
man that's a lot of work.
if nothing else the new guy's can at least come away with an understanding of a cartridges components.
and what actually happens when they pull the trigger.
when i teach someone new i go over a cartridge case first thing, teaching them the nomenclature.
then move to a boolit/bullet teaching the nomenclature of that.
then the equipment.

Alan in Vermont
03-05-2013, 10:46 PM
R5R, I was loaned a set of small posters that NRA puts out that covers exactly the material you describe. Those are going on a display board on a stand for everybody to see while I narrate them. Had I been thinking(and could have justified the extra expense) I would have had them copied on regular size paper as handouts. I'm footing the bill for this party just because it gave the naysayers one less thing they could whine about when I proposed it. If all goes well this time I'll lean on the club for funding next year. They asked me to serve on the board this year so that gives me a little more leverage for future projects as well.

dbosman
03-05-2013, 11:05 PM
RCBS has videos at their site.
http://www.rcbs.com/resources/videos/
If someone has access to a video projector, people can loop the videos while waiting their one on one turns.

If you get a decent turn out, make an offer of a casting session.

Gliden07
03-06-2013, 06:56 AM
Well, tomorrow evening is the big event. I put posters out at the local gun shops and have been posting updates on the Farcebook page the club has. Got some emails and a bunch of Farcebook "likes" so it looks like it might draw a decent group. If this one flies well I'd like to do it again next year and as well as shotshell loading and casting sessions in alternating years.

Good luck with your class!!

Down South
03-06-2013, 04:04 PM
I put a lot of thought into getting an NRA certification a few yreas back on relaoding but never did do it. I couldn't see me having enough time.
It's good of you to offer instruction to those wanting to learn. I'm teaching a buddy now.

scarry scarney
03-06-2013, 09:22 PM
If you were in northern CA, I would help. I'm a NRA instructor, and already certified for metallic reloading, and have the material ready to go. Good luck, have fun, and thank you for sharing our sport.

longshot1154
03-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Alan,

Hope all went well with your class. Unfortunately I am working tonight, otherwise I would have attended. Saw your business card for this class at Dattilio's and thought it was a great idea.

Alan in Vermont
03-07-2013, 09:36 AM
OK, the "Introduction to Reloading" was a success IMO. Had 11 people attenting, everyone expressed thanks for holding the session. The RCBS video served to break the ice, had quite a few questions about what was shown in it. I wish it wasn't so obviously a sales aid as much as an educational thing, but it is what it is. This being my first effort I was probably a bit clumsy with me presentation, that will get the rough edges taken out next year. I loaded some cast wadcutters in 38 Sp., that generated quite a few questions about the casting process. Even had a couple questions about shotshell reloading.

I think next year will have at least two "classes", another basic intro and one dedicated to boolits.

I shouldn't have to butt heads to get approval next year either, which was annoying this time. There was quite a big of attitude about how "nobody will show up", which was totally irrevelant since I wasn't asking for anyone else to commit time nor the club to commit any funds.

It ended up going to almost 11:00 PM as the questions kept coming. Midnight before I got home. Now I'm off to go clean out the hall and put everything there back in order, I was just too flippin' beat to pack and lodd everything last night.

s1120
03-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Very cool. Im glad it worked out well for you. Im sure your next one will be eaven bigger!

pipehand
03-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Good on ye, Alan.

What Wayne Smith said- "Reloading is a lot more than the mechanics of the process, and to teach it right you need to start assuming that they know nothing, which will be close to the truth. " Actually, for a lot of people knowing nothing would be a blessing. Its getting them to unlearn the half truths, rumors, myths, and all the stuff that is just plain wrong and dangerous that is hard!

Springfield0612
03-07-2013, 12:48 PM
I did a local trade for brass and the guy was wanting to get into reloading. He bought a bunch of reloading items at an estate sale. He has two Dillon Square presses. He offered me some great deals on items to teach him and I declined all of them. I'm still waiting on his call. I've taught three people the love of reloading and still actively mentor two. Still haven't met a person that hasn't enjoyed it yet. I have my two kids 5 & 3 y/o's working the single stage depriming cases, while I talk to them and teach them the other steps. My 5 y/o boy sits right behind me while casting as well. He's had the reloading bug since 3 y/o! Teach as many as you can to preserve the future!

Springfield0612
03-07-2013, 12:50 PM
I had one guy that I taught, he was first self taught from YouTube!!! AhhhAhhh that was not fun!!

Wayne Smith
03-07-2013, 08:18 PM
I first learned by reading Guns and Ammo and two Lee Loaders, one in 30-30 and one in 16ga. Didn't know anyone who reloaded and Dad was suspicious - the 30-30 was his. Got some books out of the library and used the data in the Lee Loaders until I picked up a loading manual. Convinced Dad.

Norbrat
03-07-2013, 08:37 PM
On yer, Alan.

I know what it's like; I run the basic safety course at my local club every 6-8 weeks for new members, and the evenings do get real late with all the questions. And some folks do come in with some pretty funny pre-conceived ideas!

Gliden07
03-07-2013, 08:50 PM
OK, the "Introduction to Reloading" was a success IMO. Had 11 people attenting, everyone expressed thanks for holding the session. The RCBS video served to break the ice, had quite a few questions about what was shown in it. I wish it wasn't so obviously a sales aid as much as an educational thing, but it is what it is. This being my first effort I was probably a bit clumsy with me presentation, that will get the rough edges taken out next year. I loaded some cast wadcutters in 38 Sp., that generated quite a few questions about the casting process. Even had a couple questions about shotshell reloading.

I think next year will have at least two "classes", another basic intro and one dedicated to boolits.

I shouldn't have to butt heads to get approval next year either, which was annoying this time. There was quite a big of attitude about how "nobody will show up", which was totally irrevelant since I wasn't asking for anyone else to commit time nor the club to commit any funds.

It ended up going to almost 11:00 PM as the questions kept coming. Midnight before I got home. Now I'm off to go clean out the hall and put everything there back in order, I was just too flippin' beat to pack and lodd everything last night.

Very COOL!! Sounds like it went pretty good!! Glad to hear it went well. Figured you would post up something about it.

2thepoint
03-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Alan,
Good Job!! You did a good thing passing on your knowledge and experience. From the sounds of your program, I'm sure everyone came away with a better appreciation of why things go "bang"!! Much more than when they first walked in the door. The only downside may be that you'll lose some of your range brass!!