PDA

View Full Version : Guess I have to try again.

x101airborne
10-08-2012, 06:24 PM
I almost always carry a pistol on me while on the tractor. Today it was the wife's 41 mag in a crossdraw holster and belt. Loaded with Lyman 210 or 215 grain SWC's and a light dose of unique to just get it to 1000 fps. Very light and very accurate.

Well, I was disking in some deer oat plots when I saw a brown-red lump hopping across the field adjacent to the one I was in. It was a Yote about 200 yards away. I fired twice at it from atop the tractor. Both shots were low. I forgot how much front sight it took to get to 200 yards. So all bundled up for the cold, running across a freshly plowed field in muck boots, I was trying to reload the blackhawk and get closer to the songdog. I noticed he was in amongst our first calf heifers, so I found a prickle-ash tree and waited for him to clear. I guess he got my wind cause he immediately broke off the heifers and made it for the treeline to my right. With him running over 400 yards, I fired all six plugs in my weapon and came close many times, but lead and elevation are hard when the front sight covers up the target. I had fun, but he made it to sing another morning. It did reinforce the thrill of handgun and cast boolit hunting for me.

UBER7MM
10-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Now that you know, you'll be ready for him with something with a scope. Of course, now he knows too. Oh how the game changes.....

Good hunting,

Wolfer
10-08-2012, 08:49 PM
My ex grampa in law once told me, as long as you miss you can shoot at them again sometime. If you hit em the funs over!
I think of him ever time I miss.

LAH
10-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Great story. Remember if it was easy anyone could do it.

knifemaker
10-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Try the old "Elmer Keith" way on your sight picture. Instead of covering the animal up with the front sight blade, as you elevate above him. Put about half of the front blade above the rear blade and sit the top of the front blade at the bottom of the animal. Helps on the windage problem and if you hit low, raise the front blade higher in the rear blade , or lower if you go over the top of him.

Idaho Mule
10-08-2012, 09:56 PM
x101, I know how ya feel, I shot at one yesterday at all of 400 yds with my Marlin 357, so technically I had a big advantage on you. But, alas, I too missed and the yote went over the ridge to sing another day. JW

x101airborne
10-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Thanks Guys. It is the memories that I love. I dont care if I miss or hit, I love the challenge. Even hitting within 6 feet of that dog at 400 yards is pretty dang good, I think. That blackhawk isn't really set up for 400 yard shooting. Now why I didn't hit him at 150 - 200 yards, well I have no excuses..... But it was fun!

trapper9260
10-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Just remember that they will be on the look out now for when they hear the tractor and what it means .They are smart and learn from the first time .it dose not mean that you will not get them but they will be a little hard to shoot now .But it is the feeling of trying to get them and you will get to know your gun and ammo you shoot. and know of what you will need to do the next time .You might want to try shooting it a few times to know what you will need to to do next time Try what was stated of what you can do to hit your taget better.Then after you will have more fun with it . Happy hunting

Bullshop
10-09-2012, 08:08 AM
+1 on what Knifemaker said. Elmer even had range bars put on front sight blades. Hold the proper range bar level with the rear sight and keep the coyote sitting on top the front sight and squeeeeeeze the trigger and its not as hard as some might think.

rexherring
10-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Here in North Dakota we have a saying "There is no such thing as a coyote to far not to shoot at". At least it keeps them moving.

x101airborne
10-09-2012, 11:06 AM
The funny thing is the yote ran right past our 4 donkeys TWICE! I have seen them run across a pasture to get a domestic or feral dog, but let this yote just go on by.

And I dont care if he is a little more educated. I am confident that he will meet my deer rifle in about a month. I know where his den is and will be watching to put a claymore on his butt. Figuratively.

1Shirt
10-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Good thread, enjoyable reading!
1Shirt!

fcvan
10-09-2012, 02:53 PM
35 years ago, we were shooting at a friends farm. The owner saw a coyote running broadside at about 250 yards. He told dad 'get him' as dad was on the line shooting his 4" M57 Smith. Dads first shot was low and behind 3', second shot was 1' on his rear, and the third shot put him down. The boolit was a SAECO 230 Keith style SWC loaded with unique to about 1000fps. It was fun to watch and the farmer was sure happy. Frank

x101airborne
10-09-2012, 03:22 PM
fcvan, now THAT is some shootin!

helice
10-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Get that dang 'yote.
All the tree huggers in california got all hot and bothered about these dang wild dogs. They'd come down into the outskirts of town and hunted cats and dogs in packs of 4-5. We'd find the remains of a cat or small dog on our walks every so often. I heard couples tell stories of the 'yotes' circling around them when their baby (in a stroller) was crying. They are miserable critters and they deserve a boolit.
Get that dang 'yote!

x101airborne
10-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Dont worry. That yotes days are numbered. We try to kill ALL we see. We figure there are 10 for every one we see.

williamwaco
10-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Try the old "Elmer Keith" way on your sight picture. Instead of covering the animal up with the front sight blade, as you elevate above him. Put about half of the front blade above the rear blade and sit the top of the front blade at the bottom of the animal. Helps on the windage problem and if you hit low, raise the front blade higher in the rear blade , or lower if you go over the top of him.

This is in my opinion the only workable way to approach this problem.

We used to have friendly contests using one and five gallon paint cans as targets up to 500 yards. When you know how much sight to hold, you can hit a five gallon bucket four or five times out of six - if the wind is not blowing and if the bucket is not running for the treeline.

Seriously, if you could keep him running at 400 yards, that is seriously good shooting.

fcvan
10-10-2012, 07:18 PM
The coyote dad shot was in Santa Barbara county. I grew up there and moved to Northern California as an adult. Retired and moved to Colorado where I've seen bobcat, coyote, fox, mule deer, rabbit, and squirrels in my yard, and I live in town. There have been bear in the neighborhood and my wife saw a mountain lion in the backyard but I didn't see them myself. With all of the wild critters I haven't seen a lot of domestic cats outside, I wonder why :)

x101airborne
10-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Seriously, if you could keep him running at 400 yards, that is seriously good shooting.

Thanks. I can tell you it took over 10 feet of leade to even get NEAR that yote. He was a movin!

white eagle
10-10-2012, 07:57 PM
sure beats coffee in the morning

x101airborne
10-11-2012, 07:28 AM
It does get the blood runnin. I can say one thing... If I was able to get that close to a yote, I would put a slower animal in mortal peril. Lately it has been a favorite memory to reflect on.

TXGunNut
10-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Problem I have with distant coyotes is twofold; I don't estimate distance or speed well. A coyote's lope is deceptively fast and a run motivated by lead impacting around him is very swift indeed. One of my proudest shots is rolling a trotting coyote @ 200 yds with a scoped 30-06 rifle, getting close with a pistol is good shootin'! Hitting a target beyond 250 yds requires a good working knowledge of bullet drop and a very accurate distance estimation...or a knack for walking in your hits like an old-time artillery crew. Either way, kudos!
I've always thought donkeys like to lure the yodel dogs in close before they attempt a "field goal". Watched a couple let a small feral dog pack into a pasture and one slipped around to cut off the escape route while the other stayed between the herd and the dogs. The dogs sensed something and slipped out without engaging, score one for the donkeys!