PDA

View Full Version : Promo Powder

LAH
05-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Their tech guy is out of the office till June 6th so tell me about this powder. I know it's a shotgun powder but their site says it's for handgun loads also with about the same burning rate as Red Dot. Anyone load it in handguns? Thanks and God Bless......Creeker

porkchop bob
05-31-2007, 07:02 PM
From what I have read the new Red Dot is supposed to burn cleaner and the old stock of this powder is being sold under the name of Promo. I have not purchased any of the new Red Dot or Promo and can not vouch for what I have read. Bob

targetshootr
05-31-2007, 07:14 PM
That's interesting and might explain why it's cheaper.

Johnch
05-31-2007, 08:04 PM
They make Promo out of other powders that don't meet spec ( they don't always admit it )
They do their magic to make it the right burn rate and proper energy by adding either filler or something to add energy

I use it , mainly for shotshell loads
It can be used WEIGHT for weight as you would Red Dot
Not volume for volume

Also it varries , lot to lot WAY more than Red Dot

A old lot I used , compaired to the new lot took up 5 - 10% differance in volume to get the same charge weight
I don't know if the different lots produce different POI when the volume changes

I would check everything when you change lots

John

LAH
06-01-2007, 06:43 AM
You guys are a wealth.......Creeker

Lloyd Smale
06-01-2007, 07:05 AM
does it meter any better then redot of is it basicaly the same thing.

LowPE
06-01-2007, 08:39 AM
I have used red dot for years in pistol: 32 acp, 9mm, 45 acp. For my jug, I use 4.9 grains and 452372; 3.5 grains for Lee 124TL (a round I currently don't use anymore); and a little less than a .3 cc scoop for 32 acp and a 77 grain lead bullet.

It seems to me a little more bulky than the other dots....of which I really only have experience with Blue Dot.

It is very dirty & smokey in 45 acp, and promotes keyholing in 9mm with heavier lead bullets.

Sold only in 8lb jugs and inexpensive.

A solid pistol powder for the price sensitive shooter.

Johnch
06-01-2007, 06:48 PM
IMO it meters about the same

I had a early lot that was dense compaired to reddot
My current lot is a litttle bulker than reddot ( I got the case of 4 - 8 lb jugs about July last year )

Also I agree it is a little dirtyer than the current reddot

I have never had any keyholeing problems
But I load pistol ammo to a set velosity
I load a few , walk out the back door and check them over the Cronnie
And ajust as needed

John

targetshootr
06-01-2007, 07:10 PM
johnch, were you able to get that info out of someone at their factory? It sounds like stuff they wouldn't want us to know.

Johnch
06-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Up to last year , the Grand American Trap shoot was held about 2 1/2 hrs from me , next to Daton , Ohio airport
I shot it for years , never won enough except to paying for gas and shells
But I had fun
After a day of shooting , we would shot the bull with the powder , gun , shell reps at the local watering holes

The year Promo came out , I got to know a Alliant rep pretty well
After a few rounds at the bar , we were talking about Promo
He explained how it was made , much of the tec stuff was way over my head
He also said most powder manufactures recycle the powder that dosn't meet spec .
But they were taking a different aproach

I just wish I would have bought a bunch more at the shoot , if I remember right
8 lb jugs ran $55 or $60 + tax
They were trying to get guys to try it
I spent my check on powder and primers

John

dltaskey
06-03-2007, 08:37 AM
I've been using Red Dot load data with Promo for .45 ACP reloads. Chrony agrees with Red Dot data so I'm happy with a cheap replacement for Bullseye. Does seem a bit dirtier though.