PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894OS Vs Rossi 92 SS

Scout800a
10-08-2012, 02:35 PM
I've seen locally two 357 mag carbines. Both similarly priced. The Rossi is supposed to be almost new with less than 50rnd fired. I haven't seen the marlin yet. i've been wanting a 357 mag plinker for a while. Either will shoot almost exclusivly cast boolits. Advantages? Anything to watch for?

thanks

colonelhogan44
10-08-2012, 02:48 PM
I love my Rossi 92. Classic styling and superb accuracy.

northmn
10-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Marlin is a better gun. My Rossi was a tad too short in the butt stock and was not drilled for peep sights, the Marlin is. Unless they changed them the Rossi also came with a slower rifling twist and was fussier on bullet choice. I found the Rossi was fun and would not necessarily say they are a bad choice, just that if a comparable Marlin were available I would likely take the Marlin. I sold the Rossi and kept my Marlin 32-20. Big advantage of the Rossi is that it is styled after the 92 Winchester for those that like a more authentic type rifle.

DP

2ndAmendmentNut
10-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Both I think will fit the bill as plinkers, but if they are the same price I personally would choose the marlin.

Dan Cash
10-08-2012, 04:04 PM
A Marlin is as "authentic" as it gets. The newer ones with the miserable safety don't do much for me though. The Rossi does tend to have slower twists and at least my .45 short rifle has a pretty generous chamber and used to have a deplorable safety ontop of the bolt; now gone. Both rifles have their pros and cons so I would not hesitate to buy either as long as the Marlin was JM stamped.

Scout800a
10-08-2012, 04:35 PM
What do you mean "JM" stamp? Is micro groove prefereable to Ballard rifling? I don't know how old the marlin is, ideally I'll go look tonight. the Rossi is stainless, in the stock photos I see it looks almost like a nickle finish. Is it that bright? Seems like it would glare bad outside.

JohnnyFlake
10-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Both of those lever guns are great guns, however, with the Marlin, I would stay away if it has the Micro Grooving.

In a short barrel, the slower twist of the Rossi can cause some accuracy problems, with various loads, however, if the barrel is 18", 20" or longer it is really not an issue.

I suggest that the only real issue, is if you plan on mounting a scope. The Marlin is best if you plan on using a scope. A scope can easily be mounted on a Marlin. The Rossi is really not designed for using a scope. It can be done but it's not easy and it's awkward.

I have a Rossi M92 in .45Colt/.454 Casull and I love it!

longhorn
10-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Marlin. I've only had "hands on" experience with one Rossi, but I'd never buy one based on that (stainless) example. YMMV

helice
10-08-2012, 07:42 PM
I have a stainless LSI Rossi in 45 Colt. It is a wonderful rifle and I appreciate it's capabilties. If you are young the open sights won't be a problem for a while but consider that the Marlin is drilled and tapped for the much better "peep" sight where the Rossi is not. I had issues with the Rossi's factory sight and replaced it with a Skinner type from Steve's Gunz. It went into that hole where the silly, lawyer built safety was. It made the Rossi a much more useable piece. All that to say that the Marlin would be easier to modify to a better open sight and Marlin made a very fine rifle indeed.

Iron Mike Golf
10-08-2012, 08:09 PM
JohnnyFlake, the new Rossi's are drilled and tapped by the rear sight for a scope base. The Rossi aluminum mount is around $12. Put a Swift 2x pistol scope on mine (20 inch barrel) and that works great.

fecmech
10-08-2012, 08:11 PM
The newer Rossi round barreled guns (not octagon) are D&T'd for a scout type scope mount on the barrel fwd of the action. There are four 6 X 48 holes under the rear sight. The Octagon guns are D&T'd for a tang sight on the top tang. I'm quite happy with mine, after many thousands of rounds they are accurate, and for me have been trouble free.

JohnnyFlake
10-08-2012, 09:22 PM
JohnnyFlake, the new Rossi's are drilled and tapped by the rear sight for a scope base. The Rossi aluminum mount is around $12. Put a Swift 2x pistol scope on mine (20 inch barrel) and that works great.

Iron Mike, a big thanks for the heads-up! My Rossi is a new model, so I'll have to check out what you explained. Mine has a 20" barrel as well and if the holes are there, I will be very happy.

JohnnyFlake
10-08-2012, 09:27 PM
The newer Rossi round barreled guns (not octagon) are D&T'd for a scout type scope mount on the barrel fwd of the action. There are four 6 X 48 holes under the rear sight. The Octagon guns are D&T'd for a tang sight on the top tang. I'm quite happy with mine, after many thousands of rounds they are accurate, and for me have been trouble free.

WOW! Even more good news. Dam, looks like I'll have to open the safe tomorrow and check my Rossi out. At 71 years young, my peepers are not as good as they once were.

Lonegun1894
10-09-2012, 12:34 PM
I have a Marlin 336 .30-30, and Rossi's in .357 and .45 colt. A close friend has a Marlin 1894 in .357, and Both are great guns in my book. I prefer the irons on my Rossi, but if the time ever comes to put a scope on top, I think he will be ahead of me. I know you can mount a scope on the Rossi, but I personally dont really like the "scout" position for a scope and prefer the traditional, but I may have to get used to it someday because I am not giving up my Rossi. Mine has been trouble free, accurate, and light enough to carry for days, so its a keeper. Same a sthe Marlins are. Honestly, in the end, I would say find an opportunity to handle and shoulder both side by side, and see which is more comfortable to you, because I dont think you can go wrong with either one of them.

btroj
10-09-2012, 08:47 PM
The Marlin is easier to clean from the breech and far easier to work on. The action on a Marlin is really quite simple.

I am a a Marlin guy through and through.

TXGunNut
10-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Hard to say until you've seen them both, mebbe that will be helpful. Other than the sighting issues I'd say they were about even; I have Marlins & Winchesters but I don't have a 92. I think a Rossi would be a dandy addition to my modest collection and would make a fine plinker as well. OTOH my open sight days are pretty much gone so my Marlins get shot and my Winchesters get admired.

Scout800a
10-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Problem Solved, they both sold before I got to them. Thanks

northmn
10-10-2012, 11:34 AM
In 357 rifles one might be better off acting as thinking. They are pretty popular for a good reason as they are just plain fun. One advantage of a Rossi if you have to order one or get a new one is that it is now probably cheaper as Marlins are getting spendy.

DP

Dan Cash
10-10-2012, 12:26 PM
What do you mean "JM" stamp? Is micro groove prefereable to Ballard rifling? I don't know how old the marlin is, ideally I'll go look tonight. the Rossi is stainless, in the stock photos I see it looks almost like a nickle finish. Is it that bright? Seems like it would glare bad outside.

The JM stamp on the barrel indicates a rifle manufactured prior to the Remington take over. Personally, I have no problem with the microgroove rifling though some despise it. I load for two 336 Marlins in .30-30 using cast gas checked bullets; the microgroove shoots slightly better groups than the Ballard rifled one.

drhall762
10-10-2012, 03:46 PM
I just had the chance to fire a new Rossi Stainless Steel in .357 today! Shot it with a few S&B 158 grain rounds. At 35 yards standing offhand they were right tight in one little group. If they are all this good I'd take one. In fact, if this one comes up for sale I will take it. Functioned from the shoulder flawlessly. Only thing I don't like is the weird safety on top of the bolt. I know, I know, product liability. If I buy it it will be mine and that safety will go. Never had one on my pre-64 Winchester, don't need one now. (I had to find something not to like. LOL.)