PDA

View Full Version : Wolff Replacement Springs

Gene Perryman
10-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Just dropped a new hammer and rebound spring in my 629 and it's as smooth as a gravey sandwich. The hammer spring seems a little lighter than my other Smiths, but the range report will tell for sure with my use of WLP's.
The factory hammer spring was too strong and I switched to a Jerry Miculek hammer spring which lightened it up some, but it still seemed to stack alittle.
I believe the use of injected molded parts in the new Smiths have been criticized, but the fit and smoothness of mine is great. No comparison between the work I had to do with my others to reach the same level.

Gene

Shiloh
10-08-2012, 12:59 PM
I've use Wolff springs in various firearms. Never had a complaint.

Shiloh

Tazman1602
10-08-2012, 01:01 PM

Shiloh

Agree totally with what Shiloh said. NO issues ever with Wolff springs.

Art

Mal Paso
10-08-2012, 10:14 PM
I have had FTF issues with a Wolf Reduced Power Mainspring in a 629 but they were one of those batches of Hard Winchester LP Primers 4+ years ago.

I kept the Factory Mainspring but replaced the Trigger Rebound Spring with a 12# Wolf Reduced Power (and cut a new overtravel pin while I was in there) . I squared up an iffy trigger job on a Power Custom Stand and have a solid reliable 2 1/4 lb SA Trigger. Gotta be at least 15,000 rounds ago. (I think it's about $9 for the rebound spring assortment)

There's been a lot of negative comments on molded parts. I was badmouthing S&W's MIM (molded) firing pin when the tip fractured on me. Someone here responded that they had purchased machined pins that didn't last and broke so short the gun wouldn't fire. The MIM Firing Pin had a crater on the tip that hung in primers until I filed it but Not One FTF until I replaced it. I had ordered both kinds of pins. I put MIM back in.

Gotta Love Smith's. Very tunable.

Lloyd Smale
10-09-2012, 05:11 AM
after lightening up a smith i will usually stick to fed primers as they go off with alot less hammer pressure. Keep in mind that even if you are getting reliable ignition, with lighter springs your getting lighter hits and with a harder primer this can cause irratic primer ignition and can really effect accuracy. Ive seen group sizes double in guns like redhawks after doing action work and using hard primers.

Shuz
10-09-2012, 10:03 AM

Shiloh

Ditto!

44man
10-10-2012, 10:23 AM
after lightening up a smith i will usually stick to fed primers as they go off with alot less hammer pressure. Keep in mind that even if you are getting reliable ignition, with lighter springs your getting lighter hits and with a harder primer this can cause irratic primer ignition and can really effect accuracy. Ive seen group sizes double in guns like redhawks after doing action work and using hard primers.
This is 100% true. Lighter hammer springs reduce accuracy. Every single one of my revolvers will get an OVER POWER Wolff spring as soon as it comes out of the box.
Not a problem with a lighter spring if you shoot 7 yards and just want speed. But a failure can cost your life with a carry gun.
Most heavy pulls are the trigger spring or rebound spring, the hammer spring will only change pull a few pounds.

Lloyd Smale
10-11-2012, 05:02 AM
I agree with 44 man. I for one love a nice clean crips 2lb trigger but will NEVER do it at the expense of reliability or accuracy. Id rather have a 5lb reliable trigger. Ive found getting rid of the creap does alot more for accurate shooting the actuall trigger pull weight does anyway.