PDA

View Full Version : 32 magnum question

Newtire
05-31-2007, 08:58 AM
I have an H & R model 586 in .32 magnum and it seems to be a great gun. Beefy as any Ruger but noone seems certain about the strength of these things except to say rather blankly and with no explanation that they are probably best left to the lighter loads. Seems to hold up to most loads I see folks shoot on here excepting for the TC rifle/pistol loads.

So....I would like to get ahold of one I wouldn't have to wonder about but all I am seeing are .32 magnums with short barrels (under 6"). Does anyone make a quality .32 mag revolver with a 6"+ barrel?

Dale53
05-31-2007, 03:25 PM
The only revolvers in .32 H&R with long barrels (over 6") have been the S&W 16-4 (6") and the Ruger SS. That is, except for a few Dan Wessons that had longer barrels (fine revolvers, too). However, as far as I know, all are "out of print" (and more's the pity). Ruger may re-introduce but I don't look for any more from Smith.

Your best bet is to haunt the gun shows. Every now and then a Ruger turns up for a decent price. If I run onto a Ruger SS Bisley 6.5" I rather imagine I might be for grabbing it, also.

Needless to say, my 16-4 (6") is NOT for sale (nor my 631 S&W 4" nor my Ruger SP 101 4"). I also have a custom .32 H&R Barrel by JD Jones for my TC Pistol frames. Of course, I have a REALLY long barrel on my TC Contender Carbine (22").

Dale53

9.3X62AL
05-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Dale covered the subject like a blanket. It IS a shame that gunmakers don't service the needs of mid-caliber revolver shooters better than they have--which, since the 1950's, has been lukewarm at best. If it isn't Tacticool, or a Kenworth-slayer, a caliber doesn't get much love these days.

To get the best service and performance from the 32 Magnum does NOT require running the caliber to the firewall. Most of my loads in 32 Mag run cast boolits of 90-120 grains between 800 and 1000 FPS--a level very safe for the H&R platforms. The RCBS 98 grain SWC at 950 FPS is my go-to load for small game and vermin, and has been in 2 different revolvers--my present Model 16-4 x 6" and the former Ruger SSM x 5.5". That kind of load in your H&R will allow your grandkids to give the H&R to their grandkids in good order.

Dale53
05-31-2007, 05:01 PM
Deputy Al is, as usual, right on track. I have a plethora (lots:mrgreen:) of both .32 S&W L and .32 H&R cases but it seems that I mostly load the .32 S&W L cases with a decent load (100 gr Keith SWC GB or 90 gr Hornady HBWC's). I load to the same velocities as Deputy Al with the SWC but load the HBWC to a "normal" WC target load velocity of 770 FPS. Either will do the job on small game quite well.

If I was woods rambling and might run onto a feral dog or coyote, I would be inclined to carry .32 H&R's loaded a bit hotter (1100-1200 fps). I really see little need to hotrod these cartridges. If I need something heavier I'd just break out a .44 mag.

I believe that the .32, loaded properly for the task, is a near perfect cartridge (paired with a proper handgun) for the woods rambler. In my carefully considered opinion, there is entirely too much emphasis on heavy calibers for general use. I have nearly something for everything in my safe, so I can really pick and choose what I need. Mostly, I "need" a good .32:mrgreen: .

What is really sad is to see a "new shooter" in a gun store preparing to lay down big money (he can often ill afford) for one ot the big boomers that he is not yet ready to learn to shoot. He would be MUCH better off, many times, with a small .32 or .38 in a GOOD revolver along with some reloading tools and bullet casting equipment. Then, he could afford to shoot as much as he needs and wants and could become a REAL shooter. As an example, I recently bought a nearly new Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull that had been shot less than a dozen times. I bought this from a dealer, but I KNOW from just what I paid for it that the previous owner "took a bath" and that the purchase was ill advised. He or she would have been MUCH better off with a .22 or better yet a .32 with reloading equipment.

Dale53

Bullshop
05-31-2007, 06:27 PM
I spoze yall know this but I will mention it anyway about the 32 mag also shooting 32 acp. BS mom has a j frame 32 mag and we have used 32 s&w short and long, 32 mag and 32 acp. The acp has an itty bitty rim that is enough to head space on.
BIC/BS

9.3X62AL
05-31-2007, 07:42 PM
The same sizer die works for 32 ACP, 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 Magnum, and 7.65 MAS, AKA 32 Super Auto. From this all onlookers get a view of the depth of my affection for these mid-caliber critters.

leftiye
05-31-2007, 08:32 PM
Newtire, I don't know if this is something you might be interested in or not. BUT, you could find a .22 LR cyl for a K- frame and ream it out (or sleeve a k38 cylinder down) and put in a barrel liner in a K-38.

This may be heresy, but for lighter ctgs (should read smaller bore). the k-frame is plenty strong as well as being a superbly balanced revolter. I've just purchased a .22 WRM barrel on evil bay, and I already have a K-22 WRM cylinder. Putting these in a .38 special K-frame to make a .22CCM with 8 3/8" barrel. Ted

BigSlick
05-31-2007, 10:10 PM
WWG has an H&R 32 Mag Model 504 in stock right now.

They'll take $160 US for it, plus about $15 shipping.

I *almost* jumped on it because it's a neat little gun, but too much stretching the toy budget at present.

I don't have a pic, but I'm sure someone can come up with one if any of you are real interested.
________
Problems with zoloft (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/zoloft/)

Newtire
05-31-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks for all the info you guys. I'll put a bug in my local favorite gunstore for when they get one in to give me a call.

I fooled around and found a light load with a 120 gr. plainbase boolit that "Springfield" makes that shot well. I am thinking it was 2.7 gr. RedDot. If anyone has any they would like to share, let me know eh? I would appreciate it. I went on a site that has lots of loads with the 98 gr. RCBS and other lighter boolits but only a few with a 118 gr. boolit but don't know if that one would be safe or not. I used one with the 98 gr. RCBS and 11 gr. Win. 296 that put them in there pretty good.

I have had .44 mag's and .357's and nothing wrong with them but this little .32 is just a real fun gun.

Do you guys have any trouble with accuracy shooting shorter cases like the .32 long or do things work better with the boolit seated up close to the end of the cylinder?

Dale53
06-01-2007, 12:18 AM
I have had no accuracy problems using .32 S&W L cases in .32 H&R revolvers. I have literally shot thousands of them without a problem. You do have to clean the cylinders after using the short cases to avoid problems.

Dale53

Lloyd Smale
06-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Ive got a couple 32 mag rugers and there all accurate guns. One little 4 5/8s gun gets about 90 percent s&w longs though it and will shoot loads it likes into an inch or less at 25 yards. Recoil is about like a 22mag out of a single six and its even quieter then a 22lr.

Newtire
06-01-2007, 08:20 AM
Ive got a couple 32 mag rugers and there all accurate guns. One little 4 5/8s gun gets about 90 percent s&w longs though it and will shoot loads it likes into an inch or less at 25 yards. Recoil is about like a 22mag out of a single six and its even quieter then a 22lr.

Which Ruger is that Lloyd? I am hankering....

Lloyd Smale
06-01-2007, 09:05 AM
The one i shoot speicals out of is a 4 5/8s single six that i fitted a stainless grip frame to. I got it from cas and he had allready had it throated to 3125 Its shoots the ballistic cast 105 or the rcbs 98 into an inch or less with 2 grains of bullseye.

9.3X62AL
06-01-2007, 09:52 AM
I no longer run short brass in any of my Magnum revolvers--cleaning the charge hole deposits is a PITA. The 32 Magnum "downloads" to 32 S&W Long just as well as the 357 does to 38 Special, perhaps even better. Just about all of my 32 "Magnum" shooting is more like 32 SWL +P, really.

My own view is that if you want to run boolits/bullets well past 1200 FPS, a shooter might be better served by a Blackhawk in 30 Carbine. There were a few Blackhawks put up in a 32-20 WCF/32 Magnum swap cylinder combo by the now-defunct Buckeye Sports some years back, and these might be the platform of choice for hot-rodding the calibers. More than a few folks here have recently explored the dimensional near-misses of the 30 Carbine, 32-20, and 7.62 x 38R, too. Yeah, some of us are really warped.

Dale53
06-01-2007, 10:04 AM
When I bought my first .32 H&R (a Ruger SS), I learned that Federal (the ONLY source at the time for H&R brass) quit supplying components. So, either I bought factory ammo and shot it up making the brass available (really expensive way to get brass, by the way) or look for something else. That "something else" turned out to be .32 S&W L "first nighter" brass from a local commercial reloader. He is a friend and offered me a REALLY good price. Further, he suggested I take a BARREL of the brass home and sort out what I wanted (it was mixed brass). I did so and ended up with several thousand empty .32 S&W L brass empties.

After using them for several years (I had no need for true magnum velocities as I have .357's and .44'[s for that purpose) I was quite happy. Several years later, Starline started producing .32 H&R brass. I pre-ordered even before they started producing them.

Now, I have both but mostly find my self "saving" the magnum brass for some strange reason (maybe, "If it isn't broke, don't fix it"?) No matter which way you go (magnum or special) you can't go wrong with one of the little .32's.

Dale53

jobo12
06-01-2007, 11:16 AM
Newtire:
Here is a thread which got me much-appreciated data for using 115 gr. cast boolits in .32 S7WLong & .32 H&R mag. http://reloaders.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=2673#post2673
I have not used the .32 H&R Mag. very much, since I have Smith and Colt double- action wheelers in .32-20 which is almost the identical niche of the .32 Mag.
My wife shoots Ruger Vaquero's in Cowboy Action, but I load .32 S&WLongs almost exclusivley for her-- the heavy boolit knocks the plates down with athority, and accuracy is not much of an issue in that venue.
A question I have asked before, but would like an athoritative answer to is: Is the longer 115 gr. boolit potentially more accurate with the longer .32 mag cases than with the .32 S&WLong? My use of the magnum case is very limited, so some of the more experienced shooters/reloaders who post here can tell me if I'm missing a bet, here.
Thanks,
Joe

9.3X62AL
06-01-2007, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=jobo12;188281]A question I have asked before, but would like an athoritative answer to is: Is the longer 115 gr. boolit potentially more accurate with the longer .32 mag cases than with the .32 S&WLong? My use of the magnum case is very limited, so some of the more experienced shooters/reloaders who post here can tell me if I'm missing a bet, here./QUOTE]

I can't say one way or the other with heavy boolits/varying case length. The RCBS 98 SWC shot very well with both brass lengths, I couldn't tell a difference. The MM 120 grainer and #311316 don't shoot as well as the RCBS 98, but I've only tried the heavies in Starline Mag brass. The heavies shoot a little better in the 32-20 revos than the RCBS 98 SWC, but not a lot more so.

Bullshop
06-01-2007, 11:47 AM
I have a customer that has a Freedom Arms revolver with 32 mag and 32/20 cylenders. He had me aquire a couple molds from NEI and has tried most of what I had on hand. Of all he has tried he has settled on the 115gn NEI. This is about the same design as the ancient lyman and winchester for 32/20 but it has a gas check. He only wants gas check boolits. He was having issues with the 115 being too destructive on small game so had me get a lighter 90gn FNGC. In the end he went back to the 115gn as being more accurate. Guess they may have had it right from the begining. I just aquired one of the Lyman Keith gas check molds at 90gn and plan on sending him a sample. I am curious.
BIC/BS

Lloyd Smale
06-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Al heres what ive found for heavy bullet loads in the 32 mag. First stay away from light loads and fast powders. You may get lucky but for the most part there a bust. Stick with powders like aa9 2400 4227 lilgun and allways cap them with a mag primmer. Ive personaly never seen any round that has such a prefernce for mag primers with slow powders. But its sure seems so looking at my data and for the most part the loads have liked cci mag primers more then any other primer. One potential problem for shooting heavys in the rugers is throat size. For the most part rugers are thoated to small. Alot of the heavier bullets espcially the lfns from veral will not chamber crimped in the grove in a ruger. Opening the throats takes care of this, gives better accuracy with all loads and allows you to use what is proably the best 32 heavy bullet in my opinion. The lbt 120lfngc. That bullet just flat shoots in everything ive tried it in from 32 mags to 3220s to even 3030s sized down to fit. Load it with either 10 grains of 4227 or 9 of aa9 in a 32 mag with a cci mag primer and ill about gurantee you one inch groups out of your gun.

9.3X62AL
06-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Ah ha.......will give that a try, sir. Many thanks!

scrapcan
06-01-2007, 12:52 PM
If I could afford and find more 32 bores I would have a couple more. I have been shooting a colt police positive in 32 S&W Long that folks here helped me rebuild. I will tell you that it goes with me to the range everytime I go. It has become the replacment for the 22.

I only have a couple of moulds currently, but this thread has given me some ideas for future mould aquisitions. Thanks for the above info.

As to finding a longer barrel version. You could always fit a longer barrel to a built up gun as mentioned above. lot's of 38 paper punchers have been built in similar fashion. You just have to find a length of barrel with proper goove/land dimensions and install with the criteria your heart finds dear. You could do as mentioned above by finding an old beat up K frame and convert to what you like.

Newtire
06-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Well folks,
I am home from work today after not going in to my afternoon job since it's Friday & I have that option. I got a couple of P.M.'s from Scrounger about him having seen one in a local shop he knows so am waiting for the transfer guy in my area to get home & give me a call so I can get the paperwork started to ship the thing.

It's a Ruger Blackhawk New Model convertible. Boy! Now I am fixed up real good .32-wise for sure. What can I say. Feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to come.

Dale53
06-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Newtire;
Congratulations! They DO say, "Everything comes to he who waits"...

I see some fun on your horizon.

Dale53

9.3X62AL
06-02-2007, 01:37 AM
That sounds like one of those Buckeye Specials--WITHOUT DOUBT, the strongest mass-produced 32 Magnum made to date.

Lloyd Smale
06-02-2007, 06:41 AM
I just picked a nice 6.5 in 32 single six that im thinking of dumping to pay for a custom project. (also a 32) if someone is intersted.

Bullshop
06-02-2007, 11:49 AM
I just picked a nice 6.5 in 32 single six that im thinking of dumping to pay for a custom project. (also a 32) if someone is intersted.
OK Lloyd what ya want ferit? BS Mom is fortunate enough to have two nice little 32's by S&W. If I would like to use them I must humble myself to her whims. Now you are in a position to make a stand for men everywhere. Put an end to the exploytation of all brothers trapped in this same situation. Someone must be first and couragous enough to step forward and say NO! , I wont borrow yours, I will get my own!!!
BIC/BS

McLintock
06-02-2007, 12:45 PM
The gun you want to look for is the Ruger Buckeye Special convertible in 32 H&R and 32-20. It's made on the full size Ruger Blackhawk frame, with a 6 1/2" barrel, and will take about any load you can put through it. I have two of them and have only shot them with the 32-20 cylinder, but 14.0 grs of H110 and a 115 gr gas check bullet is a pretty healthy load. Made me forget all about trying to make a 32-20 out of my Old Model .30 Carbine. If they're still NIB, the collectors have them priced pretty high, but shooters have been going in the $3-400 range. Since Bowen and Clements and like gunsmiths want upwords of $14-1500 for a .30 Carbine conversion (requires custom cylinder), the Ruger is a bargin, even if you have to buy a NIB one.
McLintock

Bad Flynch
06-02-2007, 02:33 PM
>The only revolvers in .32 H&R with long barrels (over 6") have been the S&W 16-4 (6") and the Ruger SS. That is, except for a few Dan Wessons that had longer barrels (fine revolvers, too).<

I have one of the few S&W K-frame revolvers with an 8&3/8" barrel. It came from the factory as perfect as any revolver I have every seen: no axial or logitudinal play in the cylinder, etc. At that time, S&W was offering a "Laser Tuned" option from their custom shop, so I sent it in and had that done. It is a splendid revolver. I have kept the S&W paperwork so that I can prove that S&W did the job as a factory option, too.

chevyiron420
06-02-2007, 03:21 PM
my wife bought me a 32h&r mag for christmas a few years back. its a taurus. at the time it was the only gun available, and she had to order it. it has a 6 inch barrel and its pretty much the same gun as her 357 mag. the barrel is marked 32s&wlong and 32h&r mag. its a beautiful gun and shoots real well. i am embarased to say i cant find, or remember the model number.-phil[smilie=2:

Dale53
06-02-2007, 06:36 PM
I have recently acquired several Taurus handguns. I am impressed with them. It kind of looks like they have become a permanent part of my battery of handguns...

Dale53

onegoodshot
06-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Appropriate thread for me. First I'll say hello as I this is my first post. Ken got me started here a few months back trying to find some cast pills for a 10mm Mag contender barrel I have. I have always been into single shots, but continually looking for more reasons to get out and shoot especially the odd cal stuff.

I've kinda got on a revolver kick the last year or so and just added a pair of Buckeye Specials to my herd this week. Haven't even picked them up yet. Was initially just looking for a 38-40/10mm, but stumbled on a local set of consec. ser.#'s and deal was to good to pass them up. I just won a set of 32-20 dies on ebay so I started looking for load data and brought me here.

About 6 years ago I acquired my first and only revolver. I bought a 4 cylinder set Ruger convertable in 357 with a 9mm, 38 super and extra 357. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/onegoodshot/375barrel004.jpg

In he last 2 years I've p/u a 45c FA 97 and Ruger BH Hunter in 41. Now to start playing with these Buckeye Specials. Now it looks as though I need some pills for the 40 cals, and the 32-20/32Mag. Any leads on buying a few pills in various pills would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Newtire
06-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Hey Joe,
As a suggestion to your .32 boolit needs, there is a guy here who makes them. He is on this group named Springfield. I got some 120 gr. 32 plainbase at about .3145. He mic'ed one while I was there. they shot so well in my .32 mag, I am thinking about going to get some more .

scrapcan
06-06-2007, 11:36 AM
look farther up the thread, bullshop also casts and sells. He stated above that he has severla moulds for 32 handguns.

Newtire
06-19-2007, 08:42 AM
Went over to "visit" my Blackhawk convertible at the FFL it got shipped to to sign the papers and, upon looking at the cylinders, will take back what I said about the H & R being built as strong as a Ruger. Those .32 holes leave alot of meat left in those cylinders in that Ruger. Lots more than I remember in my .44 Super Blackhawk I once had (& will again!). It's a real beaut of a revolver! Can't wait to run a few loads thru it in a couple weeks.