PDA

View Full Version : Kudos and a rant.

knifemaker
10-08-2012, 02:08 AM
I have recently purchased a Ruger blackhawk in 41 mag. I also purchased a 4 cavity mold from Accurate molds for a 220 gr. Keith style SWC. I requested it to drop a .413 boolit using wheel weights.
First off the Kudos for Ruger and Accurate Molds. Slugging the Ruger cylinder showed that 5 chamber throats were at .411 and #6 at .4115. The barrel groove was a consistant .409 and no restriction at the barrel-frame junction. Could not ask for better in a production revolver for shooting cast boolits.
Upon miking the boolits from the Accurate mold. I measured 4 boolits picked from random from about 300 boolits I casted about 3 weeks ago. I measured 4 places while turning the boolits 45 degrees. every measurement was dead on at .414. I contribute the added 1 thousand to adding about 2% tin to the wheel weight mix. Now I know why they are called "Accurate Molds".
Now to the rant. I used a Lyman .410 sizing die to size and lube the boolits. I loaded the bullets and used the crimping groove for my overall lenght. I noticed that seating the loaded bullets into the Ruger cylinder resulted in the boolits not fully seating by about 20-25 thousands resulting in the case rim dragging on the breech face and stopping the rotation of the cylinder in the gun.
I pulled the old reliable 1 inch starrett mike out and started to do some measuring. As I said above the cast pre-sized boolits were a consistant round .414. After running them though the Lyman .410 sizing die, I found my problem. The smallest reading I got on the sized boolits was .410 and the largest reading was ,413 on five boolits measured. The darn sizing die, purchased 2 months ago, was out of round by 3 thousands and causing the front boolit driving band to jam into the throats and not fully seat the entire cartidge into the cylinder.
I was lucky and found in my stash pile another Lyman .410 sizing die that I had bought years ago and forgot about when I got the new one. It sized at .411, not the .410 as marked, but it was not out of round.
To you new guys getting into casting, one of the best things you can do for yourself is buy a good 1 inch mike to measure your boolits and when slugging the cylinder throats and barrel groove diameter. I have three calipers, but they are not as accurate as a good mike is. I have used that mike to solve a few problems when trying to work up some very accurate loads for my rifles and handguns. I will be thinking twice in the future on purchasing any more Lyman sizing dies. I will go RCBS or custom. I have about 5 RCBS dies and none of them are out of round. On about three Lyman dies I have, they did not size to the dia. as indicated on the die. Either oversized or undersized on one die I bought. They need to tighten their quality control .[smilie=s:

JeffinNZ
10-08-2012, 04:28 AM
Yes, the "nominal" measurements of sizing dies. Different lead alloys behave in their own way however so it may not be all the die. That said, and I'm not revolver shooter, but Mr Fryxell's writings would suggest your .411 will be bang on the money for those cylinders.

runfiverun
10-08-2012, 11:24 AM
411 should be bout right.
i tried 412 in my older black hawk,and had the same chambering issues.
411 goes nicely,412 not so much.
they really cut thier 41 black hawks tight.
my 41 hunter model does fine with the same 411 size but the chambers are a little bigger.

HangFireW8
10-08-2012, 08:35 PM
The darn sizing die, purchased 2 months ago, was out of round by 3 thousands and causing the front boolit driving band to jam into the throats and not fully seat the entire cartidge into the cylinder.
I will be thinking twice in the future on purchasing any more Lyman sizing dies. I will go RCBS or custom. I have about 5 RCBS dies and none of them are out of round. On about three Lyman dies I have, they did not size to the dia. as indicated on the die. Either oversized or undersized on one die I bought. They need to tighten their quality control .[smilie=s:

This happens with any brand for two reasons, one is heat treating, the other is the workpiece slipping in the fixture. Unfortunately it can also get past the Q.C. of any manufacturer as well. I like to send these back, with a dummy cartridge marked with the dimensions, and a short concise letter, that does not drag up the entire history of wrongs suffered by the reloader, but starts with a simple compliment and the clearly states the error found.

If every reloader did this, manufacturers would either fix their stuff or go out of business. If we just foist it off on eBay, they keep their money, and they'll keep making it.

To you new guys getting into casting, one of the best things you can do for yourself is buy a good 1 inch mike to measure your boolits and when slugging the cylinder throats and barrel groove diameter. I have three calipers, but they are not as accurate as a good mike is. I have used that mike to solve a few problems when trying to work up some very accurate loads for my rifles and handguns.

Good advice. I could make a case for dial calipers (for the range), standard micrometer, 1/10K blade micrometer and ball or pipe micrometer (for case necks). Also once have more than one measuring tool, you need to understand where they agree and where they don't. All measuring tools should be regularly checked against a standard.

HF