PDA

View Full Version : Weld a Lyman mold handle?

Mk42gunner
10-07-2012, 09:57 PM
I was at an auction today and bought a small bucket of "stuff" that had a broken set of large mold handles in it. I knew it was broken, but didn't realize until I got home that the broken pice was in the bucket. The break is right through one of the holes for the mold retaining screw.

It looks life a decent piece of cast; is it worth it to even try to weld it, or should I just toss it?

It wouldn't be a great loss if I have to throw it away, I bid on the other two sets of handles, the DC 452460, and about seven H&I dies for $25.00.

Thanks for the opinions,

Robert

akajun
10-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Ive welded them before with a dc arc welder and 55% nickel rod. Pre heat is a must, and spend some time fitting and jigging it to get it where you want it. I made a jig from a peice of oak I slit on both sides to make a fake set of mold blocks.then used toolmakers clamps to get it exact.

Ive also brazed them using the same procedure. Neither set has broken.

NoZombies
10-07-2012, 10:08 PM
I would probably braze them myself.

MtGun44
10-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Easy to braze. Nickely welding works well on cast iron, but it is less common
to find someone set up to do it. I can braze it myself with gas torch, so this is
what I would do. I have brazed cast iron pulleys and the work fine.

Bill

a.squibload
10-08-2012, 12:40 AM
I've welded cast, preheated with propane torch.
Didn't know about nickel rod. Used wire feed with gas.
Worked fine.

Mk42gunner
10-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Thanks guys. I don't know why I didn't think of brazing, must have been the newish wire welder in the barn.

I'll tape the parts together so I don't lose anything until I get ready to do the repair.

Robert

happy7
10-17-2012, 06:15 AM
I have a couple sets I have brazed. The main trick is getting the hole drilled in the right place again. They have help up really well.

trapper9260
10-17-2012, 04:49 PM
When you braze it as for the hole before you drill it put it with a mold in it and put one screw in the good side and then take a under size bit and just make the spot where the hole need to be and then take apart the modle off of the handel and then you will have the spot to just drill for your hole.

KCSO
10-17-2012, 05:05 PM
I have brazed several and they hold as well as the original cast.

shotman
10-17-2012, 05:57 PM
trash them and get a set of lees 6 bangers they work better . Lot less work

Shiloh
10-17-2012, 07:55 PM
I silver soldered some once. Worked for a little while, but broke again. There was rust on the area that broke from years of sitting in a garage. I cleaned them up as best I could, but attribute the damage from the rust as to why the brazed joint failed.

Shiloh