PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor screw

cdet69
10-07-2012, 07:01 PM
I need the screw that holds the hammer in place for a 1873 Springfield trapdoor. Any place I might be able to find one?

Oldeyes
10-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Dixie Gun Works, good folks. Make the order worthwhile and pick up other odds-n-ends you might needs, too.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_95_389_393&products_id=5294&osCsid=38026bd449d700c81b79414a1209d975

And of course there is always ebay...

waksupi
10-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Dixie is good. If you have never had one of their catalogs, it is well worth the ten bucks or whatever it is now. Regardless of if you are only interested in a particular item, the descriptions of everything else are usually full of history, good reference material, and well worth reading. Great bathroom books!

Ragnarok
10-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Hmmm....a few years back..when I bought my Trapdoor rifle...I needed a couple screws to replace some severely buggered original screws.

My old retired gunsmith pal told me he had an entire screw kit for the trapdoors..."come over and get what you need"...which is what I did.

He had a small bag with all the screws from wood screws to lock-plate screws. Not for sure where he got the screws...but I imagine one of the gunsmith suppliers does or did sell complete screw kits.

These screws were perfectly made as far as length and thread...however were also in the white...and the heads were in need of some polish/machine to original profile work to match the originals.

My guess is he probably got these from Brownells or Dixie sometime in the past...

KCSO
10-09-2012, 03:15 PM
The trapdoor screws are metric thread and not too difficult to make. I believe Numerich still has some parts for these also.

TommyT
10-09-2012, 05:12 PM
These guys can help! They have the best service and a really cool catalog too.

http://www.ssfirearms.com/

FLINTNFIRE
10-09-2012, 11:28 PM
They have the screw it looks like, I have a 1873 passed down from grandfather , it has a fwd lock screw that has been broken a very long time ,only has a turn or so of thread catching , in reference to the post saying they are metric , I thought they were whitworth , best I could find was a archived thread on trapdoorcollector.com , am interested , as I am considering a rust blue on the gun and replacing the screw , not a collectible as it appears to have been cut back , both barrel and stock