PDA

View Full Version : PB vs Standard Check

little willie
10-07-2012, 06:45 PM
OK, my (first) stupid question for October. What are the fundamental differences between a Plain Base check tool and a standard check tool?

I understand that the dimensions will be different and you would have to juggle the dimensions vs the material thickness, but is there more to it than that? Actual differences in design, construction or proceedures?

I (think) that I'm in need of 9MM, .40 and .45 ACP PB checks and have been wondering about this.

Thanks in advance,

little willie

Love Life
10-07-2012, 07:16 PM
PB check tool is for plain based bullets without a gas check shank. They swage onto the base of the bullet. They usually use thinner aluminum between .004-.006 thick.

Standard check making tools make standard gas checks to go on bullets with a gas check shank.

It works out like this:

No gascheck shank=Need a PB gas check/checkmaker tool.
Gascheck shank= Standard gas checks made with a Checkmaker or Freechex tool designed for gas check shanks.

If you e-mailed Either Pat (Checkmaker) or Charlie (Freechex) with your bullet design I bet they would tell you what would best suit your needs.

HARRYMPOPE
10-07-2012, 07:25 PM
not that's its answering you question but in those calibers i dont typically use or need a GC.

George

little willie
10-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Love Life,

Thanks for your explanation, I had figured out what the difference in usage was, what I'm interested in is the differences in the design and construction of the tools to make the two different type checks (if any).

I know that Pat makes some sizes of PD makers, but as far as I know, Charlie does not. Due to Charlie not making them, I thought that there must be some type of design or construction differences.

Thanks again,

little willie

PB check tool is for plain based bullets without a gas check shank. They swage onto the base of the bullet. They usually use thinner aluminum between .004-.006 thick.

Standard check making tools make standard gas checks to go on bullets with a gas check shank.

It works out like this:

No gascheck shank=Need a PB gas check/checkmaker tool.
Gascheck shank= Standard gas checks made with a Checkmaker or Freechex tool designed for gas check shanks.

If you e-mailed Either Pat (Checkmaker) or Charlie (Freechex) with your bullet design I bet they would tell you what would best suit your needs.

little willie
10-07-2012, 07:38 PM
George,

The main reason that I'm interested in PB checks for those calibers in not due to pressure/velocity.

I'm shooting several Glocks and although I know that many, many shooters use lead without any problems, and I've not been terribly worried about it myself, a wee bit of concern hides in the back of my mind.

little willie

HARRYMPOPE
10-07-2012, 07:41 PM
i shot a bunch of cast in Glock 17's when they first came out before i heard it was a NO NO.I used hard metal and never had problems.
I am just lazy and hate to use GC's if i dont have to add the extra step.

little willie
10-07-2012, 08:03 PM
I totally agree with you, it just nags at me sometimes and I thought that I'd inquire about it.

little willie

i shot a bunch of cast in Glock 17's when they first came out before i heard it was a NO NO.I used hard metal and never had problems.
I am just lazy and hate to use GC's if i dont have to add the extra step.

Love Life
10-07-2012, 08:09 PM
I have shot many thousand naked boolits out of my Glock 26 and 17.

When I moved to a heavier weight, I ordered a gas checked mold so I didn't have to reinvent the wheel.

fcvan
10-07-2012, 09:17 PM
I've been placing PB checks on boolits in 35 and 45 caliber. The boolits would not normally take a check and in the case of one 45 boolit is less than .452 at the base. When sized with the PB check the improvement in accuracy is noticeable. PB checks from pop cans are virtually free. They cost me labor but it is part of the hobby I enjoy. I have also ordered some standard checkmakers from Pat in .22 and .30 for boolits with check shanks. Pat isn't making .22 yet but is adding new calibers steadily so I got in line. I shoot a lot of .40 in my Glocks and am going to try some PB checks. My standard .40 loads don't need them but I would like to see if there is an accuracy improvement there as well. If things go well I may order yet another PB checkmaker. Pat makes good stuff!

jmsj
10-07-2012, 10:48 PM
little willie,
I think Love life explained it about as well as needed, I believe HARRYMPOPE is correct that with (in pistols for me) correct fit, alloy and pressure plain base boolits work fine and I also agree with fcvan that sometimes it can improve accuracy.
I have agreed with these men but there are some other cases where I have found plain base gas checks to help out. Once in a while I find that I get some leading when shooting some hotter loads using ACWW. They shoot well but lead a little more than I would like. I already have a bunch of ACWW boolits cast up and lubed and I want to use them up so I swage on a PB gas check on them and use them up.
I have used PB gaschecks when using a really soft HP alloy and pushing them fast. I have found that the PB gaschecks were the only way to get what I wanted out of this kind of alloy.
An lastly, laziness/lack of time. Sometimes I just don't feel like going through the work of figuring out fit, hardness requirement for different pressures and the barrel cleaning that comes with it. Especially if it is a gun I'm working on for someone else and I need to run some rounds through it to function test it.
Good luck, jmsj

Wal'
10-08-2012, 12:46 AM
I think you answered your own question

"I understand that the dimensions will be different and you would have to juggle the dimensions vs the material thickness, but is there more to it than that? Actual differences in design, construction or procedures"

Basically the same concept design, accept the check will be a little larger to fit a PB boolit base.

FergusonTO35
11-01-2012, 11:22 PM
I am interested in adding checks to my PB Lee .358 boolits. Does anyone sell PB checks ready to install? Also, do they install while sizing like regular checks do?

jmsj
11-01-2012, 11:59 PM
Fergusont035,
PM sent
jmsj

Fla9-40
11-20-2012, 07:56 PM
I am interested in adding checks to my PB Lee .358 boolits. Does anyone sell PB checks ready to install? Also, do they install while sizing like regular checks do?

I know this thread is a little old, but I'm curious myself to this question? Anybody sell the PB?

bobo55
11-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Hi guys, about 2 months ago I purchased 500 35 cal. pb checks, .008 alum.
His name is Ken, his e-mail address is: Fathertime24@hotmail.com the quality and turn around time were second to none and prices were reasonable. I believe they were made w/ Pats' dies

Wal'
11-21-2012, 09:09 AM
[QUOTE= Also, do they install while sizing like regular checks do?[/QUOTE]

Yes they do,same as regular checks.

Theres always eBay or the venders section here to buy PB checks.