PDA

View Full Version : Stick On VS Clip On....Advantage? Difference?

rbertalotto
10-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Is there any advantage one type of wheel weight ingots?

Why are Stick On usually less $$?

southpaw
10-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Stick ons you have to deal with tape and paint but no clips. They also are pure or nearly pure (that is as long as they are not steel or zinc). Clip ons you have to deal with paint and the metal clips. They have some antimony ( 2-3 % I think). They also have zinc and steel ones mixed in.

The advantage depends on what you want. Do you want/need soft or a little harder. The stick ons you can mix type metal to soften it up or mix it with the clip ons to make a hunting aloy. It all depends on what you want as an end result.

Jerry Jr.

rbertalotto
10-08-2012, 01:06 PM
I'm just using this lead to mold Cowboy Action Bullets. Accuracy isn't that important and they will not be used for hunting.

Stick-Ons are a few cents cheaper per pound. And Stick-Ons are available right now where Clip-On have a waiting list at my smelter.

Defcon-One
10-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Stick-on wheel weights are 99.75% Lead, 0.25% Tin on average. It is great for cowboy action shooting (steel Plates) and hollow point bullets and if you get the Tin content up to 1% or more by adding a bit of solder it will be easier to cast.

Clip-on wheel wheights vary but are around 0.29% Tin, 3% Antimony and 96.71% Lead (maybe a bit of Arsenic as well). This alloy is harder and better for general automaic pistol use and some lower velocity rifle applications.

For a few cents a pound differential, I'd go for the Clip-on lead with its higher Antimony content. If there is a wait, as you say, I'd get the available Stick-on lead and add a bit of Tin. It will do great for your application, but the additional Tin will likely negate your few cents in savings.

You could always cast it "as is" and see how it goes. Only adding Tin, if needed!

rbertalotto
10-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Thanks! Greatly appreciated

Larry Gibson
10-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Add 2 % tin to COWWs and you will get an excellent alloy that is well balanced in tin and antimony. The balance of tin and antimony allow them to mix better in solution in the lead. The AC'd BHN after 7 -10 days aging will be 14 -17 with 16 - 17 being the norm. This makes an excelent alloy for cast bullets where the harder alloy is wanted. If WQ'd the BHN runs 20 - 24 if harder is wanted. Additionally the addition of 2 % tin allows much better fillout in the mould and bullets come out at nominal or + nominal diameter. An excellent alloy fro GC'd bullets from 1500 to 2400+ fps depending on twist.

Larry Gibson

evan price
10-12-2012, 03:43 PM
I haven't seen hardly any tin in the clip-ons that I smelt. Maybe they used to have tin but I doubt it with the cost of tin nowadays.

Bob Krack
10-13-2012, 04:16 AM
'Bout all I can say is around here most of the tire dealers keep their clip-ons for reuse but certainly not the stick-ons. Makes them a little more available.

Bob