PDA

View Full Version : Cost Effective LED Press Lights

44Vaquero
10-07-2012, 03:56 PM
I came across these battery powered LED's @ Target for $6.99! The hacker in me wanted to use them for something other than decorations.

Adding Press Lights to my progressive seemed like a good idea!

Grouping them in sets of 3 creates 6 groups, I opted to cut the strand in half leaving me with enough spots for 2 presses. Hot gluing the groups into some aluminum tubing created the spots!

As a temporary install the aluminum was hot glued to the press. Hindsight be 20/20 the aluminum barrels should have been mounted on the press 1st and then the lights placed in them.

Actually, it turned out much better then I expected. The only thing that I may change is removing some of the extra wiring. It may be more trouble then it's worth as the lights are polarity sensitive. It would make for a cleaner install.

DCM
10-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Is that 9V?
How many LEDs per spot and what size tubing?

I really like it!

44Vaquero
10-07-2012, 07:21 PM
3 to each spot and yes it is a 9 volt. The lights actually come with a 6 volt power supply with a voltage regulator built in. 4 double A batteries are not as bright as the 9 volt. In truth the 9 volt is almost to bright!
The tubing was a aluminum slurpee straw, it's id is about 40 cal.

500MAG
10-07-2012, 07:29 PM
I picked this one up on ebay for $1.25 and that included shipping. Works pretty good.
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad256/cagowans/KGrHqRoIFFDTu0uUBQSqt0zGY60_12.jpg

44Vaquero
10-07-2012, 08:27 PM
500, I used to to use a micro-mini mag lite on a piece of heavy wire with a hose clamp. It worked well too but 3 separate sources is much better.

500MAG
10-07-2012, 09:05 PM
My only worry is getting the wires out of the way of the press components.

44Vaquero
10-07-2012, 09:17 PM
That is why I was thinking about rewiring the leds On my press the head has a recess all the way around that's where I ran the wires.

Actually I think if I used the 9 volt, 9 lights may not be needed. Bottom line is I like to tinker with things every now and then.

Moonman
10-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Check out 1in9twists lights, he's a member.

He has nice set-ups for presses, safe interior lights and other press accessories too.

Inlinefabrication.com

44Vaquero
10-08-2012, 10:12 AM
I have looked at inline's products he has quality materials and great ideas. Being a bit more frugal and enjoying tinkering, I opted to create my own LED press light.

rasto
10-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Vaquero Merry Christmass :-)
I normally bought 4x3W 12V MR16 LED bulbs and I have plenty of light ;-)
Buy two pieces connect them at 12V 1A adapter and you will see the difference ;-)

Kevinsanders
12-21-2012, 12:40 AM
I came across these battery powered led (http://www.niceledlights.com) @ Target for $6.99! The hacker in me wanted to use them for something other than decorations.

Adding Press Lights to my progressive seemed like a good idea!

Grouping them in sets of 3 creates 6 groups, I opted to cut the strand in half leaving me with enough spots for 2 presses. Hot gluing the groups into some aluminum tubing created the spots!

As a temporary install the aluminum was hot glued to the press. Hindsight be 20/20 the aluminum barrels should have been mounted on the press 1st and then the lights placed in them.

Actually, it turned out much better then I expected. The only thing that I may change is removing some of the extra wiring. It may be more trouble then it's worth as the lights are polarity sensitive. It would make for a cleaner install.
Very nice lights. From where I can purchase it?

44Vaquero
12-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Target stores in the holiday section.

milprileb
12-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Check out 1in9twists lights, he's a member.
He has nice set-ups for presses, safe interior lights and other press accessories too.
Inlinefabrication.com

Guys, you have to own these to enjoy the functionality and genius in the design. The
cost is minimum and the benefit is maximum: safety !!! Do it right, don't half step
with lights. He sold me one power unit and two light harnesses that makes both my presses light up
fine.

Really, this is good stuff.

Skip

hd09
02-07-2013, 10:38 AM
I found out the maglight solitare with an o-ring on the outside of it will sit in the middle hole of a dillon 450 or 550 press.