PDA

View Full Version : Possibly two Arasaka's

harryb5a4
10-07-2012, 02:14 PM
I recently came into the hands of two guns. They belonged to a 98 year old woman. She said they belonged to her husband who was in the service. That is all I know about the guns. There are serial numbers in the side of the gun. There is also a flower as well as some japenese lettering on the top of the barrel. One is a longer gun and the other is a shorter version. Just trying to get some info on them.

Dutchman
10-07-2012, 02:23 PM
Photos will get you info.

Dutch

Mooseman
10-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Pictures would help in Identifying them here...Otherwise , its "I have a gun, what is it ?"
Rich

harryb5a4
10-07-2012, 03:59 PM
i try and upload the pictures but it keeps saying upload error....and after further research i did find that i have one type 38 and a type 38 carbine from what i believe with the carbine being a shorter one....now i just need to figure out where they were made according to the serial number. As for the guns they both have the mums and they are intact as well as the japenese markings for type 38 below

bruce drake
10-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Your picture size has to be below 64kb or you'll get a fail notice.

Griz44mag
10-07-2012, 05:02 PM
The ones that made it to the states were usually captured guns before the end of the war. I have one with the mum still on it too. After the surrender, the mums on all forfeited equipment were ground off before handing them over to the allies. It was considered a sin to surrender equipment with a mum on it to your enemy. Hope yours has a better barrel than mine, it was pitted and not in great condition, but the mum made it more attractive to collect.

harryb5a4
10-07-2012, 06:27 PM
sadly they are in pretty poor shape ill try and get a picture resized down so i can post it on here just not that tech savvy when it comes to that.

bruce drake
10-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Pull them up in Windows Paint and at the bottom of the screen you'll see the file size of the pictures. Then pull up Resize (Ctrl-W) and adjust the size by percentage. cutting the picture by 50% (retain the same aspect for horizontal as well as vertical) usually cuts the file size by 3/4ths. Then Save As and give it a different file name so you don't lose the original picture's quality or size and then uploaded the smaller picture.

Bruce

bruce drake
10-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Oh, and I collect Arisakas (both T99s and T38s) so I'll be glad to let you know what you have as well as potentially give you an offer on one or both if you decide not to keep them.

Bruce

harryb5a4
10-08-2012, 01:42 PM
here is some of the pictures

craig61a
10-08-2012, 04:16 PM
If the barrels aren't in too bad of shape, and most of the hardware is available, then I suppose you could look for a replacement stock and whatever else you'd need to restore these. The one with the serial showing would be a late series 22 M38, on the right hand side there is a Kokura marking with a circle next to it - I am not familiar with that marking. You can read more here:

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html