PDA

View Full Version : Sr1911

prs
10-07-2012, 01:43 PM
I lost my front sight blade! Was beginning a fun shoot at a bank of steel plate targets and on shot #7 I saw something going down range. When I inspected the pistol, all that remained of my front sight was dove tail blank still in its slot! I tried to shoot it shotgun style, but not much luck. Midway USA had them, but $$! So I got one on order from the Ruger online parts store. I wonder why it broke? I don't think I have bumped it on anything and the loads I shoot are pretty much standard fare; have shot maybe 3,000 boolits through it so far. The metal looked pretty porus.

prs

rintinglen
10-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Had a target Hammer break once on my S&W M-17 and go flying through the air. It was replaced 37 years ago under warranty and the replacement is still going strong after lord only knows how many rounds--at least 70,000.
Point of this is that sometimes stuff breaks while an apparently identical one lasts for ever. An engineer could perhaps tell you why the one broke, but it is my experience that they are better at diasgnosis than prognosis.

huntrick64
10-08-2012, 08:47 AM
You have at least two choices, and probably more. Will come down to what do you what want to spend and how long are you willing for it to be without it. If I was in a hurry, I would buy a replcaement right off the ruger site and install myself. If you can wait for it to be repaired, I would send it to Ruger. Ruger's repair service is second to none, but you will have to pay for shipping. If you ship it yourself, be prepared to pay about $80 for shipping one-way. If you take it to your FFL he can probably ship it for around $25. Ruger would probably not charge you to repair it.

The path I have taken with the best results is to take very detailed digital photos of the problem and e-mail them to Ruger (get the technician e-mail from their website). In your e-mail, ask them if this is "normal" for such a quality gun and if the front sight is a wear item that has to be replaced eavery so often. Then in your e-mail, ask them to have a technician call you. leave your cell so you don't miss them when they call. They always call me within 1-2 days and have usually will send me a label for UPS to pick up the gun at their expense. If you have not mistreated the gun, the front sight should not have fallen off.

Like mentioned above, stuff happens, and Ruger is the best company anywhere to stand behind their work. Parts are made of materials and materials can fail. Good people realize that and can fix it. That why ALL of my handguns say "RUGER" and "USA".

Silver Jack Hammer
10-08-2012, 09:30 AM
The last time I shipped the slide alone without the frame was only $10.00. I shipped my slide to have night sights installed, which is another option for you at this point. Still, Ruger is going to want to know about this.

scattershot
10-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Yeah, the high shipping is for a firearm. The slide is not considered a firearm, so you can ship it in one of those "if it fits, it ships" boxes at the post office for around $5.00, plus insurance.

prs
10-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Original type sight ordered from Ruger parts site. Will DIY the install. Have done this before with other arms.

prs