PDA

View Full Version : Strange (to me at least) Lyman 35863 WC

alb87
10-07-2012, 04:38 AM
Hello,

a while back I purchased this Lyman 2 cavity WC mold. It drops around 105 grs bullets and I got it to have a lighter WC bullet, different from the classic 148 grs, for test.

At the beginnig I didn't pay attention to the mold number and only today I realized that it is numbered 35863, that is the same number of the 148 grs version.

So, what do you think?

Thank you and best regards.

alb87
10-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Anyone?

legend
10-08-2012, 12:53 PM
i am not sure of your question....

i would guess it would work fine, just keep your speed down.

it should be accurate for plinking,mine is.

enjoy !

thebigmac
10-08-2012, 12:57 PM
[smilie=s: Just a misnomer by Lyman. An older mould used many years ago. Anyway you received what you ordered. Welcome to CastBoolits. Enjoy your new endever. CAREFUL WITH HOT LEAD...thebigmac

HORNET
10-08-2012, 02:00 PM
See the "S" stamped on the one block? At one time, Lyman actually had much more flexibility and would short-cherry a mold upon request. They also offered some designs in several different weights, using a couple of different designation systems to distinguish which version a mold was supposed to cast. Very convenient for the original buyers and very confusing to any re-purchasers. Collectors love this kind of stuff... Run it and have fun with them.

runfiverun
10-08-2012, 02:15 PM
hornet got it.
they would do several molds with the same number but with different weights i have seen 4-5 different weights listed in thier description.
they would just back the cherry out to the next lube groove shank or the end of a drive band.
that's why sometimes you'll see plain based molds that have the base drive band one or two thou bigger.
they just done a run of the lighter molds and then went to the longer ones and that part of the cherry wasn't worn down.

alb87
10-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Ok. It's not a problem for me having this light WC mold. When I got it from a private owner I got it right because it was a 105 grs bullet. and I'm enjoing it..

I was just asking why it is marked like the 148 grs version.

It's a nice mold and a really fine bullet. recoil is almost no existent and the results are quite good.

Thank you all.

Buckshot
10-11-2012, 12:43 AM
...............I have a 4 cav 35863. It does indeed drop a 150gr WC. Best of all cast of pure lead they drop at .363" :-) Now if you had a 38 Special that OD might give you gas, but since I have 3 revolters in 38 S&W it's the cat's meow!

http://www.fototime.com/3B773CE97D573A2/standard.jpg

It's the 2nd from the left, and is eated out to the 38 SPECIAL OAL so I can use 38 Special load info sice it's going to be shot in a Victory model Smith. NOT to be used in my nice ole Iver Johnson break top!

................Buckshot