PDA

View Full Version : Birdshot?

fatelk
10-07-2012, 02:00 AM
Does anyone use larger size birdshot anymore? I picked up four bags of old Lawrence chilled shot a couple days ago because it was a fair price even just for the lead.

The #7 1/2 and maybe even the #6 I can use eventually as shot, when I get around to setting up and loading .410, but I don't see myself using the #4 in shotshells. I have a bag of #2 around somewhere too, I think.

I suppose it will store just fine in the bags until I melt it down, but I was just wondering if there was any demand or use anywhere anymore for larger birdshot sizes?

warf73
10-07-2012, 02:19 AM
I use #4 & #2 for my pheasant loads but thats for a 12ga. not .410. As for melting it down .... sell it or trade it.
Current price in my area for Lawrence chilled shot is $42 per bag. I bet you can sell it on Craigs list in a matter of mins if you posted it for $35 per bag. Then come back here and get 30lbs + of lead shipped to your house with each said bag of shot sold.

turmech
10-07-2012, 11:42 AM
I as well as other would have use for #4 and #2. Try to sell or trade before melting as said.

Post your general loacation in your profile and someone may be reading local.

fatelk
10-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks guys. Here on the Oregon coast the only time I've ever used larger shot was on waterfowl, and that's been steel only for a very long time.

runfiverun
10-07-2012, 01:05 PM
#4 is pretty good in late season on pheasants when they wanna jump up waay out there.
the #2 's are good on geese over land or even on coyotes to about 45 yards.
i last used some on whooping cranes earlier this year doing some pass shooting.

softpoint
10-09-2012, 07:45 AM
If you want to sell some #2 shot, send me a pm. Don't know as i I need a whole bag, though