PDA

View Full Version : homemade lubes

DD4lifeusmc
10-06-2012, 09:04 PM
I got here by way of a google search. Read alot of different formulations here and different sites.
would like to add my $.02. So may be wordy.
Started shooting B.P. back in 1977. Bought two Navy Arms revolvers (44 cal) via montgomery ward and a 50 cal CVA plains man (32" barrel). Along with a squeeze tube of CVA patch grease.
Not sure which model the 44's are, seems newmodel 1858 or 1861, will have to research that.
During the early 80's bought a flat tin somewhere of a aqua colored lube. heated and melted.
set conical bullets in it, when cooled gas checks were filled.
Haven't been able to find any though the last couple years.
Hence the search for homemade.
I see we have purists that want only what was available in the 1800's and those that want a petroleum ingrediant to better remove the lead fowling build up.
I go with the purists.
Now Paraffin was available back then but it is a petroleum base product.
I also notice a lot of people want to use tallow not commonly available then or now, namely mutton.
So decided to start a trial and error with what i had and most people then and now would have access to. remember no internet back then.
Another thing I noticed was the measurements and volume of ingredients.
some were in grains, and drams, and ounces etc.
But nobody really clarified if the ingredients were solid or liquid form.
Not everybody has access to a reloading scale or a kitchen scale. Items that also weren't readily available to the common person back then.
I also noticed we need two basic recipes one soft enough for patches and one harder for pan dipping.
I also noticed the quantities some recipes make. Really does the avarage weekend shooter or hunter really need 5 to 25 pounds at one time? probably not.
So I have kept mine down to a few ounces.
Also a MASON jar is really large and I can't get my hand down in it. So went with something considerably smaller. The large jar of pimientos. The little red things in olives and potato soup.
Just right for fingers and my quantity. and doesn't take long to melt on the log burner.
So here is where I started
Beeswax alone is too hard to cut with a die cutter for dipping and dries too stiff for patches.
So need to add something. i wanted to stay away from any petroleum, so I went with lard.
As I said different tallows could be preferred for different properties. But I wanted one that is readily available most anywhere and not overly expensive
This seems to be about right viscosity for my needs.
I live in Wyoming. We have 100 degree temps and 40 below. So while making this in kitchen on a 30 degree day with log burner going and kitchen at 80 degrees here's what I came up with.
when heated it is a free flowing liquid. when 80 degree room temp it is a solid about like shoe polish. just slightly soft to touch and can be squeezed flat between finger tips
All my quantities are measured in LIQUID form
AND I believe most every kitchen has measuring spoons and cups. I do recommend metal ones.
I melted beeswax till I had THREE liquid tablespoons.
I then added ONE liquid tablespoon of plain old hog lard ( in a pinch you could use plain old filtered bacon grease.
I set 6 44 caliber home cast conical bullets in a shallow tin tray. Poured enough in to cover the check grooves. let cool till set up.
I have a MATCO tools gasket punch, like a leather punch. The 1/2 inch one fits the 44 cal close enough to cut out. and the 9/16 fits my 50 cal 320 gr conical.
After cut out I inspected the gas check grooves. They were all completely filled with the mix.
I then went out (30 degree weather) and fired a total of 18 rounds without cleaning.
The revolver appeared to operate as smoothly after the last shot as it did the first. No excess force needed to cock the hammer and the accuracy didn't seem to suffer.
I then shot ten rounds through the 50 cal. Again the accuracy seemed to be the same throughout.
so for the purists you might want to give this simple mix a try.
If you want a harder mix, I would add LESS lard or more Beeswax.
I also made a batch where I added Olive Oil. need to fine tune that though for patch shooting.
However I don't believe Olive oil was all that common to the plains man.
So I will mix it again with just more lard to keep softer for patches.
Although I rarely use a patch in the revolver or the 50. Mostly shoot conical now days.
well thanks for reading this lengthy thing.