PDA

View Full Version : How do you determine Berdan primer size?

texassako
10-06-2012, 11:40 AM
I found 5 boxes of Hornady Vintage Match 7.62x54r steel cased berdan primed once fired at the range that look to be really nice cases for steel. I came up with nothing on whether these use the Berdan primers available. Anybody know how determine which size they use?

I'll Make Mine
10-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Given there are several sizes of "large" Berdan primers, the only reliable method is to get a primer out (hydraulic or a hand-operated punch with offset pin to go through one of the flash holes) and measure it with a micrometer or dial/digital caliper. Even Soviet Bloc surplus has at least two, possibly three sizes, depending where/when it was made.

Steel cases are also more prone to splitting from work hardening, and harder to effectively anneal; there's probably a good reason someone shot five boxes and left the empties behind. I've been working on converting surplus 7.62x54R steel/Berdan cases to use shotgun primers for low pressure loads ("cat sneeze" or "mouse fart" loads), for which I expect good case life (they won't even require resizing after the first time), but I wouldn't expect enough case life with full power loads in steel to be worth doing anything on them beyond resizing and repriming (if you can even get primers the correct size).

NuJudge
10-06-2012, 07:51 PM
All the Russian 7.62 x 54 R I have encountered has .254" Berdan primers. Only early Bulgarian and all Albanian have .217" Berdan pockets.

I used to reload Russian and Chinese 7.62 x 54R in the early 1980's so I would have non corrosive ammo to put through my Tokarev. I used RWS .254" primers.

RWS and Murom (the people making TulAmmo's Berdan primers) still make .254" Berdans, reportedly. It would be useful if people would nag at TulAmmo to slip a few cases of these in with the two types of .217" primers they bring in now.