PDA

View Full Version : 44 mag BOLT action rifle

onegunred
10-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Is the RUGER 77/44 the only bolt action rifle for the 44 mag round on the market? thanks

Larry Gibson
10-06-2012, 01:41 PM
I believe so unless you can find an older Rem M788.

Larry Gibson

I'll Make Mine
10-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Well, don't forget that anything chambered in .444 Marlin will chamber and fire .44 Mag safely as well (accuracy may suffer from the long bullet jump, however).

onegunred
10-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Larry, I did see a Rem 788 on gunsamerica but the $999.00 price shut me off quick. The prices on the online 77/44 do not seem bad. If I could find 1 in Bellingham for a fair price I might consider it. The gun shows up here do not have any bargins, in fact the are very over priced. As far as a 444, I don't want a lever gun. thanks Jerry

Larry Gibson
10-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Well I didn't mention any prices because they scare me and I used to think I wasn't scared of anything.......:rolleyes:

I couldn't believe the price I saw on the last one at the Puyallup gun show either. The newer Ruger M77/44s have a faster barrel twist so that's what I'd be looking for. Also the magazine restricts OAL severely which is another consideration. Bolt guns for the pistol cartridges are a lot of fun.....I sure go through a lot of .45 ACP ammo in my converted M98:drinks: I've been thinking about a M77/357 as a companion to my Ruger Security Six.

Larry Gibson

onegunred
10-06-2012, 05:31 PM
When you say the magazine restricts OAL, is the 265 JSP too long? I think the Puyallup shows are a different bunch but they probably all conspire with each other on who will have the higher price. I don't shoot that much, I do have a couple of SBHs to keep me busy, I just want a rifle and since I only load for the 44 then a 44 mag rifle makes sense. TENEX, my LGS, could get a new one from DAVIDSONS but the price is MSLP. I'll just keep my ears open and the check book close. thanks Jerry

felix
10-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Walmart can and will obtain just about any gun available through normal gun distributors. The price will be Walmart's cost plus 10 percent typical. If the gun is not in the local FACTORY distribution area, then the total price will be collected from the buyer when the gun is ordered by Walmart. Therefore, the gun will be purchased sight unseen and future dealings, if any, will be with the manufacturer. Walmart has extraordinary powers in obtaining goods when other "stores" cannot or won't. If necessary, I can help you expedite via PM. ... felix

onegunred
10-06-2012, 06:06 PM
felix, how are things in Fort Smith? I went to school at Subiaco in the early '60s. I was going to venture to my local Walmart on Wednesday, being a redneck from Arkansas and living in a single wide, I am a Walmart kind guy. I have looked thru their GUN book in the past for other guns . From what I hear some "GUN" shops don't want to deal with you after the sale anyway. So if I can save a lunch sack full of cash then I'll buy from Walmart. thanks Jerry

pkie44
10-06-2012, 06:07 PM
A .357-44 BD would be sweet

felix
10-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Subiaco is up and running good. You probably know, or know of, my brother John Robbins (LumberJack) during that very same time period you were there. He passed away year before last, and, because of his success in life due to Subiaco, his estate established a perpetual grant for providing a full ride 4 year scholarship to any new student entering as a freshman. Perpetual means every year Subiaco remains in the high school education business. ... felix

Larry Gibson
10-08-2012, 07:06 PM
When you say the magazine restricts OAL, is the 265 JSP too long? I think the Puyallup shows are a different bunch but they probably all conspire with each other on who will have the higher price. I don't shoot that much, I do have a couple of SBHs to keep me busy, I just want a rifle and since I only load for the 44 then a 44 mag rifle makes sense. TENEX, my LGS, could get a new one from DAVIDSONS but the price is MSLP. I'll just keep my ears open and the check book close. thanks Jerry

Jerry

I don't know if factory 265s will fit in the Ruger magazine(?). I know that my429244s seated to the crimp groove won't.

The Puyallup gunshow has friday night for the table rentersonly. It is apparent prices are agreed upon then. Only time some real dealing happens is with late comers with stuff o anothers table, guys walking around with stuff in their pockets or on sunday near closing time.........most of the tables are "dealers" with new stuff anyway. Very few used guns and used reloading equipment and componants like back "in the day".

used to be a smaller gunshow in Lakewood where a lot of wheeling and dealing went on. Too bad it didn't survive as it was a fun show.

All a sign of the times I fear.........:sad:

Larry Gibson

lmcollins
10-08-2012, 07:32 PM
Larry: now we are talking turkey. By how much won't the 429244 seat?

This is a question I have wondered about since the gun came out. How much would cases need to be shortened? Also, how about seating deeper, and crimping with a Lee collet type crimp die like the one that Ranch Dog used to sell?

Take an unprimed, and uncharged case, and let us know these things. A Lee custom crimp die can be ordered. Do the bullets feed if seated, and not crimped in the sample case?

All these things we need to know. This is one great bullet, and this would make a great combo.

Artful
10-08-2012, 08:31 PM
If you want to get creative several have converted Mosin rifles/carbines to calibers such as 45-70, 444 or 44 magnum.

onegunred
10-08-2012, 11:12 PM
felix, I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I don't remember any names, that was over 50 years ago and I was only there for 1 year, 61-62 ?. Larry, I may just stick with a 240 gr. JSP, maybe. Not sure what I will use the rifle for, I just want it. Artful, I don't want a project, 11 years ago I bought a boat for crabbing and fishing. I worked on it for 4 years and spent $7,000. I'll stick with off the shelf and ready to shoot. thanks Jerry

Larry Gibson
10-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Sorry I can't measure the OAL of the mag as the M77/44 I played with wasn't mine and i don't have access right now. If I recall correctly the OAL was restricted to about 1.68, maybe a tudge more depending on the width of the nose at the front end. I think that is the SAAMI OAL also. Most factory jacketed will have a canelure groove in the correct place for that OAL. As we know though the heavier the bullet the more it eats into powder space which isn' a downside for small chares of faster powders for sub sonic loads. However, many cast bullet designs willhave noses too long for some situations.

Lyman's #4 lists 1.68 as the OAL for the 429244 at 255 gr (lino) but my mould drops them at 270 gr with my alloy and they seat to a longer OAL than that. Again, if I recall correctly. If the case mouth was seated to about 1/2 the driving band width they would fit into the magazine. Crimped over the front of the driving band they worked fine in the magazine. However the problem with the suppressed rifle I used was the shortened barrel (10") and older slower 32+/- twist just would not stabilize the heavier bullets for any decent accuracy at sub sonic velocities.

Larry Gibson

W.R.Buchanan
10-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Let me just jump in here.

Larry is right, the seated OAL for 429244 in a magnum case is 1.670-1.680.

And regular factory ammo runs around 1.595-1.61 OAL

However you could do just about the same thing with a Special case and 429244 and be .100 shorter which would fit. Might not be quite as powerful, but still close.

I was seriously scrutinizing a new one of these guns yesterday, and I was aware of this problem, but it looks to me like the gun would feed the shorter round just like the longer ones. It is controlled round feed.

The new guns are 1-20 twist barrels.

The fact that these guns won't feed really long versions of the cartridge like a modifed Marlin will, should not really deter anyone that much. There are plenty of boolits that will fit in it, and for what it is really good for,,, IE car/knockabout gun, I see them as a pretty versitile tool.

SS and polymer would last forever in any environment, and I doubt you could ever wear one out. If this is what you ended up with as your only gun, you could do alot worse!

By the way you can still single load the long rounds, which means you can shoot Garrett 340 gr Sledge Hammers with it and kill anything.

Very versitile gun

My .02

Randy

o6Patient
01-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Have you thought about a lever action? For this caliber, would be just as good.(no yes maybe)

Idaho Mule
01-02-2013, 11:25 PM
I looked at one the other day, neat little rifle and I am sure one would be lots of fun to own and feed. My problem right now is too many other on-going projects. But, I would like to own one. JW