PDA

View Full Version : Inflation hits Lee on Ebay

DLCTEX
05-30-2007, 10:35 AM
There are three Lee molds for sale on Ebay, starting bid 29.95, or buy it now for34.95. The seller has some Lyman molds at the same price, but they don't have handles. Is he dreaming, or hoping ? Same molds from Midway 18.99. Dale

Springfield
05-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Funny thing is he will probably get it.

Char-Gar
05-30-2007, 01:03 PM
It is a time honored practice to troll for suckers. Folks sell anything from Lee molds to real estate this way. Some idiot will come by, want it and think it just "must" be worth the price. After all..who would try and sell something for more than market price..right?

I think it was P.T. Barnum who said a man would never go broke under estimating the intelligence of the American people.

Uncle Grinch
05-30-2007, 01:36 PM
I just read yesterday where one of the original Dodge Chargers that was used in the "Dukes of Hazzard" television show sold for $9.5 million, making it the all-time high item for EBay.

People.... makes you wonder!

TAWILDCATT
05-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Trouble is most people have not found the right places to buy. midsouthshooters
I just bought 3 LEE molds 2 cavity $ 17.37 and mold handles $12.57.the mold handles fit lyman/MB/Lee 6cav.+$9.56 ship.Graf and Natchez are good also.

imashooter2
05-30-2007, 03:31 PM
I just read yesterday where one of the original Dodge Chargers that was used in the "Dukes of Hazzard" television show sold for $9.5 million, making it the all-time high item for EBay.

People.... makes you wonder!

The deal also failed to go through. So the all time high record is a bit dubious at best.

johnp
05-31-2007, 07:42 AM
EVERY thing that I have watched on e-bay with an eye toward buying it ended up selling for more than I could have bought new. I guess some folks just don't pay attention to the going prices of things.

1Shirt
05-31-2007, 08:58 AM
For me the big problem is that I still don't have some of the old, no longer mfg. Lyman molds that I want. I occaisionaly get one off ebay, but most of the time they are much more than I am willing to pay!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Shepherd2
05-31-2007, 10:16 AM
I don't spend much time on eBay any more. If I see something I need or want I bid the max I'm willing to pay and that's it. Most of the time if I purchase the item elsewhere I get it cheaper that it went for on eBay. I wouldn't mess with the auctions at all but once in a great while you can get a bargin.

Maineboy
05-31-2007, 10:51 AM
In the past, I've bought alot of moulds at very good prices on ebay, but in the last few years there must have been an influx of mould buyers to their websight because prices have gone out of sight. There are still bargains in other areas though, a few weeks ago I bought 50 30 cal 170 gr. Nosler partition bullets for $13.00. Most fishing equipment also seems pretty reasonable.

Dragoon
05-31-2007, 04:52 PM
Ever bid on something on ebay and then start hoping somebody outbids you, and then when they do have this strange compulsion to bid again?

Blammer
05-31-2007, 05:46 PM
I bid on ebay for a mold for $25 got out bid the last min to a total of $52 something. they PM'd me via ebay said the original buyer backed out and did I want it at my high bid of $25. Sooo I got it for cheap!

ozonebob
05-31-2007, 06:20 PM
I have been an eBay member for over ten years now, and I can say there are not very many good deals to be had any more. You can tell the economy is good, as many people have more disposable income and this is evident by the bidding patterns on eBay. The problem is, many buyers have no idea what items cost , so they pay more for a used item than an identical new item through the mail order outlets. When I bid, I bid my maximum and I leave it at that. I know it's very tempting to get into a bidding war, but is the item really worth it?

You also have to watch for "straw bidders", i.e. friends of the seller whose job is to drive up the price. I have had experiences like yours where I am outbid but "the buyer did not want the item" and the seller offered it to me for my maximum bid. This is very suspicious to me and very hard to prove.

There are some strategies to getting a good deal on the online auctions and we can discuss them if you want.

Ozonebob

Onlymenotu
05-31-2007, 07:14 PM
It's just not Ebay,,,,,, it's any sorta public auction alot of time it's not what something is worth ,,,, some people just hate to be out bid..... and will bid to there dying breath to win it

32 20 Mike
05-31-2007, 07:49 PM
Ever bid on something on ebay and then start hoping somebody outbids you, and then when they do have this strange compulsion to bid again?

Ya, I started buying the old Win. one piece tang tool reloaders . I started with a 32-20 tool and got started in a bidding war that ended at $80.00. ( Going price for the Reno gun show) Then I found the same tool with the decaping post and picked it up for $45.00 with shipping. It didn't have as much finish but worked great. The problem is that the neat ones like a 45-70 tool go to the "deep pocket" guys.
I now have a midway master cat. for ref. so I don't get carried away. The worst is the "shipping'. They show parts at a great price but rape you with the H/S. I picked up a new RCBS shell holder for $2.50 without the shipping displayed and payed over $15.00 total. Most guys would have charged about $2.50. And this was from a major seller. If you can't afford to play, you'll learn the game: Mike

DLCTEX
05-31-2007, 10:24 PM
I will not bid on anything that does not disclose shipping, having learned from experience. If the s/h is too high, I deduct the excess from what I am willing to pay, make my bid, and leave it alone. Yes, I too have prayed for someone to outbid me after bidding too high and waking up to the fact. So far they have. Dale

DLCTEX
06-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Today the price on the Lee molds has been dropped to 19.5 or 24.95 buy it now. Maybe someone told him he was too high? Shipping is 9.00, still too high. Dale

cropcirclewalker
06-01-2007, 05:36 PM
I was looking for a 311467 for a coupla years on ebay. I don't think that one is even available anymore. I got out bid several times 2nd from last time it went for $52.00.

Last time bidding I just gave up, bid $55.00 and forgot about it. the auction closed and I got it for $29 and change.

Go figure.

A few months back I saw 4 or 5 Lyman 311359s all up at once. All closing within a day or so of each other. I emailed a friend who had been borrowing mine.

Cheapest one of the bunch went for under $15.00.

Some days are diamonds, some days are stones. [smilie=1:

nvbirdman
06-01-2007, 10:18 PM
I wonder if these are vintage Civil War era Lee moulds? Hee, hee, hee.

threett1
06-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Was browsing bullets today and one guy had 2 boxes of Nosler solid base boattails, 7mm, 140s going for $52 for both boxes. Yikes that seems pricey. Not over yet.[smilie=1:

TAWILDCATT
06-03-2007, 05:46 PM
Ya, I started buying the old Win. one piece tang tool reloaders . I started with a 32-20 tool and got started in a bidding war that ended at $80.00. ( Going price for the Reno gun show) Then I found the same tool with the decaping post and picked it up for $45.00 with shipping. It didn't have as much finish but worked great. The problem is that the neat ones like a 45-70 tool go to the "deep pocket" guys.
I now have a midway master cat. for ref. so I don't get carried away. The worst is the "shipping'. They show parts at a great price but rape you with the H/S. I picked up a new RCBS shell holder for $2.50 without the shipping displayed and payed over $15.00 total. Most guys would have charged about $2.50. And this was from a major seller. If you can't afford to play, you'll learn the game: Mike

you shoud not expect to get low shipping costs.as seller loses money on shipping.your best deal if you buy enough to cancel the shipping cost.ups and fed exp.cost money.check out midsouthshooters.com and get cat.