PDA

View Full Version : New gunshop in town!

Jim
10-06-2012, 09:23 AM
I used to go to church with a guy who's name is Len Fagan. He's a former marine and full blown gunsmith. He recently retired from teaching gunsmithing at a technical college in NC. He and his wife are really good folks.

He told me months ago that he had visions of opening a gunshop in Willis, about ten miles from Floyd. He's open for business! Janet and I are going out there later this morning to see him and his shop.

Here is his website: OLD LODGE ARMORY.COM (http://www.oldlodgearmory.com/)

If y'all want photos, lemme know. I'll take some and post.

crabo
10-06-2012, 09:36 AM
I hope he does well. It is a tough time to be starting a new business. It is great to know a good gunsmith.

wildwilly
10-06-2012, 10:27 AM
It's good that he has a retirement. A gunshop in a rural area, and in a bad economy is a tough way to earn a living.

Kraschenbirn
10-06-2012, 10:45 AM
In this area, excluding one 'big box' store, ALL the remaining gunshops are located in rural communities. Actually, I'm aware of two...one full-time and one part-time...that have opened in the last six months. Dunno how long they'll last but I've, at least, visited both and made a small purchase in each, just to get a 'feel' for them. The part-timer, I think should make it; he's a full-time LEO and seems quite knowledgeable. The other guy has a nice shop...full of plastic and 'tacticool' but really doesn't come off as a 'gun guy'. I wish 'em both well and will drop in, time to time, just to check out their used/consignment racks.

Bill

Trey45
10-06-2012, 11:08 AM
If he's fair on pricing and knowledgeable about his stock he should do well I would think.
There's two gunshops "close" to me, one is also a pawn shop and charges more for used guns than they sell for new. They don't get my money. The other little shop has a small inventory, and sells mostly used guns which they refuse to negotiate prices on. As much as I would like to support local business, they have made it too expensive to do so.

runfiverun
10-06-2012, 11:45 AM
one of the best custom gunsmiths i know quit and went truck drivin.
that was after some of his work was highlighted in different magazines.
the other is on and off but does very good work, it's just the wait times are usually pretty long.

Jim
10-06-2012, 02:29 PM
HERE (http://floydpics.wordpress.com/2012/10/06/old-lodge-armory-floyd-countys-new-gunshop/) is a link to a pictorial I did on Len's shop.

PS Paul
10-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Despite the economic situation in the country, it is actually a very GOOD time to start a firearms business. I know this because I am in the firearms and sporting goods business and business has NEVER been better. A fact. One of the biggest problems the man will have, however, is actually getting new firearms stock. manufacturers are making them as fast as they can and STILL are not enough to meet the demand. Several large manufacturers (Ruger, for example) are way out on backorders and are taking no new orders on some firearms (SR1911 is one of them) for weeks.

Now, if we can just keep the Obbomunists from getting their wishes to disarm the populace, things will look even more rosey in the next few years.....

Olevern
10-06-2012, 07:54 PM
nice looking shop! I believe I've met the gentleman.

trooperdan
10-07-2012, 02:25 AM
I know Len. he was one of my instructors at that NC college! I built a 6.5 Grendel on an AR-platform under his guidance. Len is good guy! Tell him I said so! :)