PDA

View Full Version : Arbor press

Gliden07
10-06-2012, 09:00 AM
I know nothing about this process (Swaging) but I am interested in it. I was cruzing around Fleabay and came across a "Swaging" press that looked like an Arbor press. My question is could you use an inexpensive HF Arbor press and a set of real dies for this process??

DukeInFlorida
10-06-2012, 09:52 AM
The fellow selling arbor presses as "swaging " presses has been warned a few times, and yet he persists. I was one of the people who contacted him, and then reported his listing to eBay as misleading.

You cannot really use an arbor press for swaging.

You can, however, use a reloading press, such as a RCBS Rockchucker, easily as a swaging press. If you're patient, you can get a deal on a used one.

Alternatively, you can get a real swaging press from Dr Blackmon, for short money. You can use a RCBS Rockchucker for both reloading and swaging. However, you can only use Blackmon's press for swaging. It doesn't suit reloading.

Here's the path to get a telephone number for talking with Blackmon:
http://bulletswagingsupply.com/index.html

The Richard Corbin Sea Girt press is a little more money, and the path to asking about those is here:
http://rceco.com/MN.asp?pg=products&specific=86&from=36

I use a arbor press with a (FreeChex III) die set for making gas checks, but there isn't even any way to attach swaging dies to it.

BwBrown
10-10-2012, 10:56 AM
The only real use for an arbor pres...

When I started reloading for my 32 Special YEARS ago (in the 60's), I was using a set of Lee hand tools and a brass hammer.

An arbor press would have made that early process a whole lot quieter! ...maybe a bit slower.

I can envision using an arbor press, for maybe some really tough resizing operations - but even that would require some modifications to be done well.

Just get a press - the best your budget will allow. With care, it will serve for life.
Bob

I'll Make Mine
10-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Alternately, if you have (access to) some metal working tools (welder, drill press, angle grinder, taps) and the skill to use them well, find the thread on making your own press; cost is about the same as buying a medium heavy reloading press, and the design in the thread ought to handle anything smaller than .50 BMG for reloading (would handle that, too, if you drill/tap for the larger dies) and swage bullets up to .50 as well.

midnight
10-12-2012, 09:37 AM
I have a 1 ton arbor press from HF. The only thing I use it for is making gas checks with Freechex III dies. It works very well for that purpose plus being <$50 it was hard to go wrong. So far I havn't found any other use. Maybe pressing in bearings.

Bob

Wally
10-12-2012, 09:41 AM
I have a 1 ton arbor press from HF. The only thing I use it for is making gas checks with Freechex III dies. It works very well for that purpose plus being <$50 it was hard to go wrong. So far I havn't found any other use. Maybe pressing in bearings.

Bob

If you use the Classic Lee Loader, you can use the arbor press with it... I still use my Lee Loaders for CF rifle calibers as it neck sizes the brass.

Reload3006
10-12-2012, 01:54 PM
for reloading there are lots of dies that make use of an arbor press. L.E. Wilson is tops ... swaging you could make your own dies and use an arbor press but it would be a lot of work and by the time you made your dies bought or made your press you would be a lot better off to just buy a system ... MHO

Salmon-boy
10-12-2012, 08:14 PM
I did get a non-arbor press like device from Grizzly (they called it a punch press) for an insanely low price one time that I used for decapping among other things...

With a wooden dowel it works well for sluggine semi-auto barrels as well.