PDA

View Full Version : Wedge Shaped Ingots...

ArrowJ
10-06-2012, 02:03 AM
I saw this wedge shaped cast iron pan on Amazon tonight. Has anyone used this for making ingots, or have any idea if it would work for that? My thought was that they could be stored in buckets in layers.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/06/5enubury.jpg

Bad Water Bill
10-06-2012, 02:27 AM
If the sides are beveled you should be OK.

ArrowJ
10-06-2012, 02:44 AM
Hmm...it does not look like it from the picture. Is there something that could be used as a release agent?

Oreo
10-06-2012, 02:50 AM
I have, and have used that very pan. It works and releases just fine. For storage my preference is still the standard Lyman or RCBS style ingots. If you're not in a rush I'll send you mine for the cost of shipping. Its taking up space & I'm tired of looking at it.

Oreo
10-06-2012, 02:55 AM
Keep in mind, you don't want too many layers in a bucket. It doesn't take very much lead to be too heavy to lift for either you or the bucket.

JIMinPHX
10-06-2012, 08:50 AM
If that pan is made of cast iron, then the sides most probably do have an angle to them. That would be so that the casting of the pan itself is problem free. I would expect it to work fine. Wedge shapes pack together well for storage. I had great luck with an ingot mold that was made out of angle iron.

chboats
10-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Have used one like that for years, works great. They just fall out when turned over. Mine weight over 2 lbs.

Carl

blackthorn
10-06-2012, 12:03 PM
It is a Corn Bread pan----works fine!

ArrowJ
10-06-2012, 11:39 PM
I have, and have used that very pan. It works and releases just fine. For storage my preference is still the standard Lyman or RCBS style ingots. If you're not in a rush I'll send you mine for the cost of shipping. Its taking up space & I'm tired of looking at it.

Awesome! I will send a PM. Thanks guys.

http://highcaliberguns.com
http://thesitterdowners.com

Arkansas Paul
10-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Is there something that could be used as a release agent?

I'm sure the spray from Frankford Arsenal that's made for molds would work just fine.
Either that or just build a small fire and smoke the whole thing.

vernm
10-10-2012, 09:03 AM
I have used one. I smelt about 100 lbs. at a time. The pan got hot and the ingots would not release easily. I got impatient and broke the handle off. Used it anyway for several batches. Went to an aluminum muffin pan that made 12 small ingots. They were cheap and I used about a dozen. That way they didn't get hot so fast. I like to add a small ingot (1/3 LB.) with every cast. You can cast forever and maintain the same lead level/head pressure in the furnace.

A spray of PAM cooking oil might help as a relase agent. Might be a little smokey.

Andrew Mason
10-10-2012, 07:35 PM
i agree with the above said about stacking ingots in a bucket

gets heavy very quickly

i have a large volume of lead and i wanted something larger than just a 2-ish pound mold.

i cut the tops off of soda and beer cans to fit under my bottom pour furnace.
makes approx. 10 lb ingots.